My Sunday Doctrine

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
1smartdodog

My Sunday Doctrine

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 am

Today I have been ridding my bike up and down the canyons above Salt lake. I very much love to ride. The scenery is wonderful. It is cool at elevation to beat the heat of the valley. It refreshes my soul

Point is I spent most of my life sitting in boring tedious meetings every Sunday for years. I got so little out it, except maybe guilt.

I get it that some people like church but I hate it. The latest push by the church to get Sunday's commited to the church annoys me

I believe the church should allow those of us outdoor types to hold class as some kind of activity. It does so much more for my well being than sitting at church ever could.

Of course the church will never acknowledge people like me are better off in the mountains than sitting in a pew fighting off falling asleep, but it should if it cared about people like me
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Give It Time

Re: My Sunday Doctrine

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:25 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 am
Today I have been ridding my bike up and down the canyons above Salt lake. I very much love to ride. The scenery is wonderful. It is cool at elevation to beat the heat of the valley. It refreshes my soul

Point is I spent most of my life sitting in boring tedious meetings every Sunday for years. I got so little out it, except maybe guilt.

I get it that some people like church but I hate it. The latest push by the church to get Sunday's commited to the church annoys me

I believe the church should allow those of us outdoor types to hold class as some kind of activity. It does so much more for my well being than sitting at church ever could.

Of course the church will never acknowledge people like me are better off in the mountains than sitting in a pew fighting off falling asleep, but it should if it cared about people like me
My son has AD/HD. I've long thought that there needs to be at least an option that allows for different types of learning, different types of spirituality. I might not want to do something outdoors, every time, but i wouldn't mind other options. Service, rather than a lesson on honoring the priesthood. A hike, rather than a lesson about eternal marriage. I already kind of so this. It's just not official.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:32 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
[snark] But how can you possibly be feeling the spirit if you're not sitting in a hot stuffy classroom with a bunch of group thinking head-bobbers listening to the same recycled lesson you've heard hundreds of times before? [\snark]

I'm with you, my Sunday morning hikes are awesome, especially when I'm with one or two of my good NOM friends. Hiking the trails is much more uplifting to me than sitting in any church class.

We should have a NOM hike or ride sometime for anyone interested in joining in....
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:36 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
...and Moses and Jesus and Nephi & others who went into nature to recharge etc.
I think it's deep in our nature to love nature! :D
My 1st baby was really colicky - cried and cried & the only thing that would help is running water or going outside - it quieted him right down.

Of all religious beliefs now, I probably lean most toward Taosim which acknowledges wisdom in nature.
My temple is nature - I have a couple thoughtful spots - which have helped me so many times to feel so much better - & only positive side effects.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:18 pm

My sunday doctrine - sleeping in while the kids play (nicely, for once) Casually making breakfast and sneaking a mimosa while no ones watching.

Swimming the pool, sitting on the patio and talking.

The guilt of not attending every Sunday is fading more and more. Congrats Smartdog on finding your gospel truth. You are right, The church will not tolerate any spirituality outside those carpeted walls.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:39 am

1smartdodog wrote:
It doesn't. It doesn't care about any of its members. It doesn't care about your spiritual health and growth. It doesn't care about your needs. It doesn't care about what is best for you. The organization doesn't exist for the members - the members exist for the organization.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph