Problems not unique to the LDS church

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Korihor

Problems not unique to the LDS church

Post by Korihor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:13 pm

I think it's valuable to remember that although we focus on the world of everything LDS here, the problems and benefits facing the LDS chruch are not unique to the LDS church
http://ktar.com/story/1661467/asu-repor ... -students/

The problem is greater than our relative sphere.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

document

Re: Problems not unique to the LDS church

Post by document » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:32 am

I have been frustrated with Mormons for a few years over their belief that all things good about the church are completely unique to the LDS church. Some examples of this are visiting the sick, helping people move, volunteerism, going to church regularly, and putting casseroles on counter tops. Heck, even once I heard a Mormon claim that potluck dinners were completely unique to the LDS church.

I do sometimes get frustrated with ex-Mormons because there is an assumption that problems in the LDS church are unique only to the LDS church. Abuse, violence, cover-ups, manipulation, unnecessary bureaucracy, infighting, judgmental culture, and so forth are present in other groups as well (and not just religious groups, either).

It is always a good reminder that we should always seek to right wrongs and better the world.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 pm

I wonder what it would be like to be a Jewish NOM in Israel?
~2bizE

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:20 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 pm
I wonder what it would be like to be a Jewish NOM in Israel?
Israel was founded by Jewish NOM's, wasn't it? So it's probably not quite the same as being a NOM in pioneer Utah or working at BYU.