No Time for Scriptures

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Linked

No Time for Scriptures

Post by Linked » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:42 pm

As a kid I remember wanting to read the Old Testament. I always enjoyed Genesis. Then half of Exodus. Then I would usually run out of interest. Once I got through the Chronicles I think. I remember being pushed to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover throughout my youth. In seminary they had us read the NT and D&C all the way through. But never the OT. It was always just certain portions. It probably has something to do with the length, but after hearing how they switched from scripture mastery to doctrinal mastery in seminary I think it may have been more sinister; avoiding the parts that don't support the church.

And even if I wanted to read through the scriptures there was never time, they always had us reading something else. Even on the mission there wasn't a lot of time devoted to reading through the non-BOM scriptures.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

oliver_denom

Re: No Time for Scriptures

Post by oliver_denom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:47 pm

I read the OT and NT cover to cover on my mission. It felt easier to read than the Book of Mormon or D&C, I think, because I had read the BoM and D&C so much that cracking them open was exhausting.

The OT and NT were fascinating because church lessons and seminary had skipped over such huge chunks of those books that there was a lot I never knew was there.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Palerider

Re: No Time for Scriptures

Post by Palerider » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Yep, if one reads the OT they will realize that contrary to lds teachings, there is no place where God "commands" an individual to take a plural wife or he will be destroyed and there is absolutely no precedent for a man marrying an already married woman being approved by the Lord.

We have to take Joseph's word for that hot mess.

And there's lots more. I think it's one of the main reasons Joseph did his Bible "translation". It's the only way he could force the Bible to agree with him.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington