Discussion with a COB employee

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Discussion with a COB employee

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:33 am

Yesterday I had a really interesting conversation with guy who works at middle management level at the COB, and has worked for decades overseeing aspects of church magazines and websites. He is a great guy and I really enjoyed getting to know him. He told me he needs to get out of the office for a while every day to preserve his sanity, and that the only way he can work there is to keep reminding himself that the church and the gospel are two different things. He was talking about all of the power plays and friction between the two divisions that oversee the departments where he has worked. Those two organizations are called Priesthood and Media. I kind of got the impression that Priesthood generally gets the upper hand. He wonders if he's in too deep and should have bailed out while he was young enough to pursue another career.

He cited three main sources of frustration: internal politics, passive-aggressive behavior, and inspiration. By inspiration he meant that no one will ever admit to making a mistake because whenever something doesn't work out they claim that their decision was based on inspiration, so it couldn't have possibly been their fault, others must have fallen short. I said, "so it's kinda like throwing God under the bus." He said, "Exactly!"

I have another friend who works at the COB. The screen saver on his phone is a countdown to his retirement day.

Listening to these men talk about their jobs really drives home to me how corporate the church is, but also that everything is sifted through some really weird filters that you don't have to deal with in other corporate environments.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

AllieOop

Re: Discussion with a COB employee

Post by AllieOop » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:33 am
Yesterday I had a really interesting conversation with guy who works at middle management level at the COB, and has worked for decades overseeing aspects of church magazines and websites. He is a great guy and I really enjoyed getting to know him. He told me he needs to get out of the office for a while every day to preserve his sanity, and that the only way he can work there is to keep reminding himself that the church and the gospel are two different things. He was talking about all of the power plays and friction between the two divisions that oversee the departments where he has worked. Those two organizations are called Priesthood and Media. I kind of got the impression that Priesthood generally gets the upper hand. He wonders if he's in too deep and should have bailed out while he was young enough to pursue another career.

He cited three main sources of frustration: internal politics, passive-aggressive behavior, and inspiration. By inspiration he meant that no one will ever admit to making a mistake because whenever something doesn't work out they claim that their decision was based on inspiration, so it couldn't have possibly been their fault, others must have fallen short. I said, "so it's kinda like throwing God under the bus." He said, "Exactly!"

I have another friend who works at the COB. The screen saver on his phone is a countdown to his retirement day.

Listening to these men talk about their jobs really drives home to me how corporate the church is, but also that everything is sifted through some really weird filters that you don't have to deal with in other corporate environments.
I love reading "inside information" like this, Hagoth!! Thanks :)

Is he a TBM or is he more of a NOM? I'm not sure if I could work for the church and remain an orthodox believer....
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 am

AllieOop wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 am

Is he a TBM or is he more of a NOM? I'm not sure if I could work for the church and remain an orthodox believer....
His home had a lot of the standard church-approved Jesus art, there were scriptures and lesson manuals on the counter, and he showed me a family picture taken in front of the temple, so all indications are toward TBMishness, but in a very down-to-earth sort of way. He's the kind of guy you want for your home teacher, who would not judge you for not being able to make the puzzle pieces fit. I think his statement about separating the gospel from the church says a lot.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:48 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 am
AllieOop wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 am

His home had a lot of the standard church-approved Jesus art, there were scriptures and lesson manuals on the counter, and he showed me a family picture taken in front of the temple, so all indications are toward TBMishness, but in a very down-to-earth sort of way. He's the kind of guy you want for your home teacher, who would not judge you for not being able to make the puzzle pieces fit. I think his statement about separating the gospel from the church says a lot.
Yes, interesting.

I have also heard so many stories regarding those who have to personally deal with the 12 and how many of them are not the same person in private as they are say at GC :D

I think there's a website devoted to stories about Pres. Monson and how difficult and unkind he can be at times.

I'm really surprised that more stories don't get out, but I know many would worry about loosing their jobs and livelihood if they talked.
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:37 am

At one time I aspired to teach at a church school. I am SOOOOOOoooooo glad my plan didn't work out. :D I believe that an organized church/corp.can actually be intrinsically counter productive to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Emower

Post by Emower » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:00 pm

I came very close to being the wildlife biologist over the church farm in Florida. I am really glad that didn't work out.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:31 am

Even as a full believer I had the sense that working for the LDS church would be troubling. It's not that they are bad, it's that they claim divinity and still act like every other organization. Their divinity has to be marketed because it does not arise naturally.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:30 am

Corsair wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:31 am
Even as a full believer I had the sense that working for the LDS church would be troubling. It's not that they are bad, it's that they claim divinity and still act like every other organization. Their divinity has to be marketed because it does not arise naturally.
This^^^ knowing how hard it is to break away mentally from Mormonism for a regular lay member, imagine if it were also your sole source of income dependent on your recommend status. Not to mention having to go to Monday devotionals and testimony meetings AT WORK and bear testimony of how your project is blessing the saints lives. Eff that!

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 am

Corsair wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:31 am
My dad worked at the COB many moons ago, sometime in the late 80's-early 90's. He didn't have a high opinion of it, said it's full of personal kingdom builders.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.