We are Wheat, they are tares

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

We are Wheat, they are tares

Post by deacon blues » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:35 am

I like my pastor. He gives some good sermons, and then he gives some great ones. Today Matthew 13 and the parable of the wheat and tares was the topic. My pastor pointed out several good thoughts. 1. In our "Us and Them" world view (thanks also to Pink Floyd) he pointed of how easy it is to see ourselves and our tribe as the wheat, and the "others" as the tares. He also pointed out how dangerous this is, using Uganda, South Africa, and Nazi Germany, and LGBT issues as examples. He also pointed out that in Jesus's explanation God is going to let the angels/harvesters not his servants/Us (supposedly and/or hopefully) do the separating, and that it is not our job to judge. 2. He pointed out how the middle-eastern weed, darnel. was probably what Jesus meant by the word "tares. The darnel closely resembles wheat until it matures. Hence we make mistake wheat for tares if we judge too soon. 3. He pointed out that each of us might be the field, and that we each have wheat and tares in our personalities. Drawing from, and comparing the Native-American story of the two wolves, he pointed out that we try feed the good wolf, and starve the bad wolf. I thought it was a great sermon. You'all should have been there. :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Palerider

Re: We are Wheat, they are tares

Post by Palerider » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:20 am

Nice lesson.

The other aspect that seems to escape Mormons is that in this scenario there is no attempt to "restore" the Gospel once it has been admixtured. The angels are actually forbidden to do so.

Instead it is left to the individual to seek out and pursue righteousness out of the desires of their own heart rather than through the enforced "programs" of an institution. We individually determine whether we will be a wheat or tare.

The end result is a true plant that produces good fruit of it's own accord, not because the institution requires it.

Thus the Kingdom of God survives here on earth as Christ said, but in a more amorphous construct than most would imagine.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:39 pm

This reminds me of Meilingkie's story of his relatives Nazi belt buckle that said something like "God is with us". Speaking of, I wish he would pop in and say Hi. I miss the Dutch perspective.

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:59 pm

That sounds like great inspiration for a talk if any of us ever have to give one.

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:50 pm

The wheat and tares is a parable about the Church. And we used to sing about it!
https://www.hymnwiki.org/Though_in_the_ ... urch_Below

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:09 am

Bad wolf? Seems like everyone is into Dr. Who nowadays.

"Now you've done it, Beaver. You're in for a good threshing when dad gets home."
-- Wally Cleaver
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha