The Next Wave of Mormon development

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
no1saint

Re: The Next Wave of Mormon development

Post by no1saint » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:18 am

I think it's a general consensus that transformative change is not in the immediate future for the Church. The only unknown factor is the life span of the next five Prophets. Of course, the pipeline of future GA's and Apostles is probably already full. I imagine vetting is an ongoing process in the event of succession being an immediate concern.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 am

no1saint wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:18 am
I think it's a general consensus that transformative change is not in the immediate future for the Church. The only unknown factor is the life span of the next five Prophets. Of course, the pipeline of future GA's and Apostles is probably already full. I imagine vetting is an ongoing process in the event of succession being an immediate concern.
Right. LDS leadership will not take any chances on getting a radical reformer on the Board of Directors (ie, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles). At every possible stage of LDS leadership there is an unintentional winnowing process that preserves and advances only the most loyal company men. It's no dishonor to serve as a bishop then get released, never to advance up to Stake President. Behind the scenes each leader is evaluated and only the most diligent supporters of LDS thought are put in place for advancement.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 am

Corsair wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 am
no1saint wrote:
Right. LDS leadership will not take any chances on getting a radical reformer on the Board of Directors (ie, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles). At every possible stage of LDS leadership there is an unintentional winnowing process that preserves and advances only the most loyal company men. It's no dishonor to serve as a bishop then get released, never to advance up to Stake President. Behind the scenes each leader is evaluated and only the most diligent supporters of LDS thought are put in place for advancement.
It sounds like what the church may need is an unlikely event. They either need an apostle who is called and then goes through a faith transition, or an existing leader who goes through a transition but keeps it private and is then elevated. The church is quite adept at teaching people who to hide doubts, and it's not a difficult stretch to imagine that those elevated to the top are perhaps the best at it. Once in the 12, it's just a matter of waiting.

For example, what if David Bednar accepts that neither he nor anyone else has personally seen Jesus? What if he has a belief that being elevated to prophet is the final key to allow that sort of visitation, but it never comes? That could be enough to take him along the path where he concludes that it's him calling the shots and not God, that he should therefore go in different directions.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:55 pm

oliver_denom wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 am
Corsair wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 am
no1saint wrote:
It sounds like what the church may need is an unlikely event. They either need an apostle who is called and then goes through a faith transition, or an existing leader who goes through a transition but keeps it private and is then elevated. The church is quite adept at teaching people who to hide doubts, and it's not a difficult stretch to imagine that those elevated to the top are perhaps the best at it. Once in the 12, it's just a matter of waiting.

For example, what if David Bednar accepts that neither he nor anyone else has personally seen Jesus? What if he has a belief that being elevated to prophet is the final key to allow that sort of visitation, but it never comes? That could be enough to take him along the path where he concludes that it's him calling the shots and not God, that he should therefore go in different directions.
Very true there. A senior figure having a crisis of faith or at least a softening of dogmatic beliefs. Or a catastrophic development that could drastically alter the direction of the Church similar to the JS death or the Edmund Tuckers Act that ultimately forced the ending of Polygamy. What could shift the ground so much under the Church for it to abandon or alter significant doctrine?

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:27 pm

8. DAB - Oversaw the development of spreading the gospel through biological contagion. Scientists at the Intermountain Institute of Missionary Epidemiology were able to construct a virus strain which they named the Parvobednaris virus. That airborne virus was highly contagious and infected individuals contracted Infectious Mormonitus which rendered them highly susceptible to suggestion and induced obedience to perceived authority. Immediately following dispersal of the aerosolized virus within a limited area, LDS missionaries began their conversions.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:01 pm

I'd like to see Uchtdorf get in for a while. Maybe move church headquarters to Germany.
~2bizE

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:58 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:27 pm
8. DAB - Oversaw the development of spreading the gospel through biological contagion. Scientists at the Intermountain Institute of Missionary Epidemiology were able to construct a virus strain which they named the Parvobednaris virus. That airborne virus was highly contagious and infected individuals contracted Infectious Mormonitus which rendered them highly susceptible to suggestion and induced obedience to perceived authority. Immediately following dispersal of the aerosolized virus within a limited area, LDS missionaries began their conversions.
lol - DAB wishes he could be that effective.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:01 pm
I'd like to see Uchtdorf get in for a while. Maybe move church headquarters to Germany.
The prophet and president of the LDS church is legally and literally the sole member of that corporation and has a lot of latitude that is rarely used. I think that would be hilarious if Dieter moved headquarters to Germany.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Corsair wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 pm
2bizE wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:01 pm
The prophet and president of the LDS church is legally and literally the sole member of that corporation and has a lot of latitude that is rarely used. I think that would be hilarious if Dieter moved headquarters to Germany.
I think one of them should move headquarters to Adam-Ondi-Ahman just to fuck with the squares.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP