Black Adam and Eve

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Linked

Black Adam and Eve

Post by Linked » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:44 pm

A NOMish friend of mine recently saw a painting of Adam and Eve where they were painted as black people. He isn't familiar with the latest scientific discoveries on the subject so his understanding of race was shaped by church and he thought that the first people were white, and that they were later turned black, i.e. the curse of Cain. Now he is very interested in human origins and is looking stuff up and reading about it.

A painting with Adam and Eve being black seems like a great shelf item for an intellectual TBM. When TBMs see it they will instantly have a strong emotional response, probably negative if they are not black themselves, then feel guilty for having a negative response and feel they should know better if they are familiar with the science.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Re: Black Adam and Eve

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:27 pm

I like your friend. It's one thing to be ignorant but it's another to be unwilling to alleviate your ignorance. We need more LDS people who are curious and unwilling to let their education start and end with correlated manuals and conference talks.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

The Beast

Re: Black Adam and Eve

Post by The Beast » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:50 pm

DC Comics has had it right for a long time now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Adam
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?