Aw man, it's sold out!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Aw man, it's sold out!

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:47 am

If you didn't get your tickets to the Chiasmus Jubilee I'm sorry to report that you're too late. You'll just have to find something else to do in a circle.

https://bookofmormoncentral.org/events/chiasmus-jubilee

Better luck in 50 years.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Re: Aw man, it's sold out!

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 am

Good news everyone! I just heard that there are still seats available at the Church of Dr. Seuss of Eggs and Ham chiasmus jubilee. Whew.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:56 am

Sold Out???

The Scalpers will be out in force!

(I'm SURE of it!)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:58 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:47 am
If you didn't get your tickets to the Chiasmus Jubilee I'm sorry to report that you're too late. You'll just have to find something else to do in a circle.

https://bookofmormoncentral.org/events/chiasmus-jubilee

Better luck in 50 years.
:D
I see that both Jeffery Holland and Kim B. Clark are guest speakers. I wonder if they'll discuss the mess they created by both telling the recent story that was not true :|

I imagine that Holland blames Clark since he was the first one to tell it publicly with the embellishments.
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:25 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:58 am
I see that both Jeffery Holland and Kim B. Clark are guest speakers. I wonder if they'll discuss the mess they created by both telling the recent story that was not true :|
Maybe the whole thing is a setup to have John Welch find chiasmic structure in BOTH stories, thus demonstrating that both are actually true. That would put them on the same footing as BoM claims.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:46 pm

They best hang on to their Chiasmus, because that's about all they have left to try and keep their BOM mental gymnastics club from closing down.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Maybe they actually meant OUT SOLD by the BOM Musical.

Chiasmus can be confusing. Confusing chiasmus be can!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:15 am

I love that this thing is called a Jubilee. It sounds so festive, yet so inappropriately juxtaposed alongside a word like chiasmus. Sorta like Root Canal Jubilee or Iambic Pentameter Extravaganza.

It sounds like the attendee should expect bell ringers a dance troop performing traditional Nephite dances. Maybe later in the evening, following the tapir rodeo, there will be a curelom roast and they'll all sit around the campfire eating smores and singing Jaredite folk songs, all arranged in abcdedcba format.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:52 am

Which guest will be representing the strangites at this event?

http://www.strangite.org/Chiasmus.htm

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:27 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:15 am
I love that this thing is called a Jubilee. It sounds so festive, yet so inappropriately juxtaposed alongside a word like chiasmus. Sorta like Root Canal Jubilee or Iambic Pentameter Extravaganza.

It sounds like the attendee should expect bell ringers a dance troop performing traditional Nephite dances. Maybe later in the evening, following the tapir rodeo, there will be a curelom roast and they'll all sit around the campfire eating smores and singing Jaredite folk songs, all arranged in abcdedcba format.
Quoted For Truth!
PostDelivers.jpg
PostDelivers.jpg (12.12 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:52 am

Ha! I love it!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 am

This feels like a small outpost of literal belief that is at least slightly outside of the correlated lesson manuals. Until this information is presented in general conference or a lesson manual I simply have to discard this point of view. This is a logical conclusion after years of being taught to "Follow the Prophet".

Craig Paxton

Post by Craig Paxton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:47 pm

It is my understanding that an Chiasmus Jubilee is best when pared with a Chianti Red Wine

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 am
FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:52 am

Ha! I love it!
Ditto
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:04 am

I am really looking forward to the presentation Grasping At Straws: Why we look toward chiasmus. I think that particular presentation will be the crowning glory of the entire conference. The presentation will trace the fifty-year quest of a believing people to bolster their faith, using nothing but incidental and sometimes bogus evidence. It will cast aside admonitions of the progressive Mormons who claim that it doesn't have to be real to have merit. So there.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha