American Apocrypha

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Emower

Re: American Apocrypha

Post by Emower » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:11 am
Thanks for the reports, Emower. I find this very useful. Maybe we need a book report forum.
That would be a good one I think. We could replace the lesson board with a book report one if we dont want to get a bunch going. I pushed for that one thinking I was going to go gung ho on changing the church from the inside. Then the rest of the shelf crashed and I lost interest.

Emower

Re: American Apocrypha

Post by Emower » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Next one was Anti-Masonry by Dan Vogel. This one was a rebuttal to Quinn, Petersen, Ostler, and Bushman's dumping on Vogel's thesis that the gadianton robbers were an outgrowth of the anti-masonic sentiment. This is also an issue that doesn't really interest me, and the subject matter is inherently less rigorous than I like. Too many probably'lies, maybe's, surely's, and "do they really think that________'s."

There was a discussion about why Joseph would write an anti-mason text and then go and join the masons and steal their stuff. The conclusion basically was that Joseph changed his mind about any number of things including the Godhead and Heaven/Hell. Why couldn't he change his mind on this? That is essentially what I believe as well. As for the anti-mason theory, it makes a whole lot of sense to me. A little more after reading this essay, but nothing that really spoke to me.