Proof

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: Proof

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:59 am

mooseman wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:24 pm
Its "neatly" taken care by the catalyst theory.
That works forks for the Abraham narrative itself but not for the Facsimile translations and is complicated by the fact that the text makes direct references to the facsimiles as being part of the source scroll. It is further complicated by the KEP and Joseph's own use of Egyptian words in sermons, words that agree with the facsimiles KEP but are in reality utter, made-up nonsense.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Rob4Hope

Re: Proof

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:08 am

As a younger TBM, I use to believe the stories told of how JS would entertain his family in the evenings by telling them about the inhabitants of the American Continent: their mode of travel, dress, habits and so forth. That was a faith story for me, and I confess to envy: JS had all these visions and knowledge given to him, and sharing that with his family was fun for them all.

Later in life, I realize the guy was a story teller, making up all kinds of things; and it appears from the record he was pretty dang good at it.

This idea crystallized more as I read Grant Palmer's book, and also learned more about Greek words showing up as anachronisms in the BoM. JS was influenced by his environment, and he pulled on other sources, spinning tales.

It makes sense now WHY these made-up-words, attributed to Egyptian as translations from the facsimiles, exist: JS was spinning tales, just like before. He's done it his whole life.

I chuckle at the mental gymnastics apologists have to go through to defend "The Prophet". The catalyst theory is a total joke---partially because its an invention to justify obvious problems, and MOSTLY because it contradicts the original teaching--JS "Translated" the papyri. How the heck does that mean: "Oh, I didn't actually translate anything,...I was like channeled through, and God just gave it to me as I stared for hours at these characters."

That is a ridiculous idea to me because it is intrinsically deceptive.