Who is the biggest tool/who do you dislike the most?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
LaMachina

Re: Who is the biggest tool/who do you dislike the most?

Post by LaMachina » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:29 am

See! I cant even say b*tch!

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 am

LaMachina wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:28 am
I'm kinda amazed at the language used on this forum these days. Trust me, I'm no prude when it comes to dropping four-letter bombs but I've been censored on here before for saying "mental illness is a Biddy".

I can get such insightful commentary as "he's an a-hole" or "f()ck them all" anywhere on the interwebs. I get it, people are pissed but I expect more from this place.
I'm trying to test the mods. I like to stir the pot. I'm curious if anyone is paying attention.

I sincerely don't want to offend someone, I'll ease off. Thanks for speaking up, you answered my question.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:48 am

I'm ecstatic I passed! This must be how the Kimballs felt after passing their test. ;)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:05 pm
Historically, the above posters have nailed it, I'll just add George A Smith. All the Church history stories slamming "apostates" like Thomas B Marsh and the like come from him. Bit of a jerk.
Oh yeah, major tool. Possibly the worst villain of Mormonism. He's also the guy who wound everyone up to commit the Mountain Meadows Massacre by telling lies about how the victims had been poisoning wells, were the killers of Parley Pratt, and were bringing the very gun that killed Joseph with the intent of using it on Brigham. He was also the only witness of the BoA long scroll, a story that emerged 60 years after his supposed viewing at age five.

Major tool.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Korihor wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 am
LaMachina wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:28 am
I'm kinda amazed at the language used on this forum these days. Trust me, I'm no prude when it comes to dropping four-letter bombs but I've been censored on here before for saying "mental illness is a Biddy".

I can get such insightful commentary as "he's a Korihor" or "f()ck them all" anywhere on the interwebs. I get it, people are pissed but I expect more from this place.
I'm trying to test the mods. I like to stir the pot. I'm curious if anyone is paying attention.

I sincerely don't want to offend someone, I'll ease off. Thanks for speaking up, you answered my question.
There, I fixed it :D
But really, Korihor, why do you feel the mods need testing? You obviously feel like you pushed it a little too far or you wouldn't call it a test. As a great man once said, "Test thyself." But since you asked, I changed it to a-hole in the original post.

Hagoth,
Taking the SS out of a**hole, so you don't have to. (no nazi jokes about SS please)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:59 pm

1) all professors at church universities. They must change their entire academic portfolio to work there. They are oppressed into keeping research limited to only those things with a positive outcome for the church. They are on a short leash. If they find out the truth, they are stuck between a job and being honest with themselves.
2) Terryl Givens seems like a big tool for this church. Going around and trying to bring people back seems like something church leaders should be doing. BTW. I like the guy.
3) His Most Excellency Supreme Justice Oaks and Darth Bednar top my list of A$$holes of the Lord.
~2bizE

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm
But really, Korihor, why do you feel the mods need testing? You obviously feel like you pushed it a little too far or you wouldn't call it a test. As a great man once said, "Test thyself." But since you asked, I changed it to a-hole in the original post.

Hagoth,
Taking the SS out of a**hole, so you don't have to. (no nazi jokes about SS please)
I didn't know if anyone was watching or cared.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am

Korihor wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 am
Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Hagoth,
Apologies, didn't want to hijack this thread or be "that guy" and start a discussion on what this site is supposed to be but this whole thread is probably a violation of NOM's rules. But I've probably just been here way too long. I really do enjoy some creatively employed salty language.

To answer the question at hand, I go right to the top. BofM/Biblical god is the biggest dick, everyone else is just taking orders.

Emower

Post by Emower » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 pm

LaMachina wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am

Apologies, didn't want to hijack this thread or be "that guy" and start a discussion on what this site is supposed to be but this whole thread is probably a violation of NOM's rules. But I've probably just been here way too long. I really do enjoy some creatively employed salty language.

To answer the question at hand, I go right to the top. BofM/Biblical god is the biggest dick, everyone else is just taking orders.
You are probably right. This thread might cross the line into the angry exmo territory. Sigh. It's hard not to be angry sometimes.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Emower wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 pm
He wasn't there a lot, but one Sunday he was attending when my cousin was doing a special musical number with a guitar. He got up and stopped the number, told her to sit down and proceeded to lecture on how sacrament meetings are supposed to look and that guitars do not feature in. She was mortified and being in a pretty fragile emotional state left and never has come back.
Classic case where someone's authority has gone to their head and they think that enforcing the letter of the law is more important than a young member's self-worth.

The instruments permitted in sacrament meetings are very well spelled out in the church handbook. Guitar is not among them and is actually warned against as I recall. So the people responsible here are the Bishopric for not ensuring an understanding. Not the young lady

Thus a wise, thinking and feeling authority would have allowed the meeting to continue since that would do no real or lasting spiritual harm to the ward and then would have given counsel privately to the Bishopric later on. No harm no foul.

Too bad this authority was not wise but instead proved to all of us that the church is run by Pharisiachal men who love works and the letter of the law more than the things of God. :oops:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:34 am

Emower wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 pm
LaMachina wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am

You are probably right. This thread might cross the line into the angry exmo territory. Sigh. It's hard not to be angry sometimes.
My recommendation as a lesser moderator is that we just try to proceed as responsible adults and avoid direct and/or juvinile name calling of church leadership (note to self). We want this to be a friendly place for questioning folks who still have one foot in.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:54 am

Korihor wrote:
Oh we're watching and we do care :)

I wondered about this thread when I first saw it on Tuesday, but felt it was ok to allow a discussion as long as it didn't get too personal or mocking. We have a right to discuss the leaders, critique and give opinions (IMO).

Yesterday I only popped in quickly for a few minutes and did not see your original post. My Father-in-law was having cancer surgery yesterday and my mind (and body) were with him in the hospital until late last night.

We mods do the best we can, but we do have a life too and I hope people understand. I think we do ok and we have a great support team and wonderful members on this forum who we appreciate and care a great deal about. We appreciate it when someone helps us and speaks up or report things. Thanks everyone!

(And, Korihor....the great majority of your posts are some of my favorites on here....)
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:25 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:34 am

My recommendation as a lesser moderator is that we just try to proceed as responsible adults and avoid direct and/or juvinile name calling of church leadership (note to self). We want this to be a friendly place for questioning folks who still have one foot in.
Thanks for the reminder. I kind of get rage-y when I think about the Q15 and that comes out in my posts.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 am

AllieOop wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:54 am
Korihor wrote:
Oh we're watching and we do care :)

I wondered about this thread when I first saw it on Tuesday, but felt it was ok to allow a discussion as long as it didn't get too personal or mocking. We have a right to discuss the leaders, critique and give opinions (IMO).

Yesterday I only popped in quickly for a few minutes and did not see your original post. My Father-in-law was having cancer surgery yesterday and my mind (and body) were with him in the hospital until late last night.

We mods do the best we can, but we do have a life too and I hope people understand. I think we do ok and we have a great support team and wonderful members on this forum who we appreciate and care a great deal about. We appreciate it when someone helps us and speaks up or report things. Thanks everyone!

(And, Korihor....the great majority of your posts are some of my favorites on here....)
Thank you Allie and all the MODs for the work you do for us! I hope your FIL is doing better. (Hugs!)

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:41 am

MoPag wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 am
Thank you Allie and all the MODs for the work you do for us! I hope your FIL is doing better. (Hugs!)
Oh, thank you MoPag! He's a strong man and is for sure already feeling better today than he did last night :)

- I think about you every day and pray for you and your family, MoPag....my heart is still breaking for you. I hope you're feeling the love from members on here as we all care a great deal about you. Hugs to you.
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:48 am

deacon blues wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:18 pm
I've heard those stories about Elder Bernard, but they sound more like rumors than documented stories. Is there a way to verify them?
Here is a first hand account on a message board:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthread ... c-blessing

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:51 am

AllieOop wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:41 am
I hope you're feeling the love from members on here as we all care a great deal about you. Hugs to you.
I sure am. I love all my NOM family!

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:14 am

Along with the standard list (Bednar, Oaks, Holland, Packer, Bircher Benson, BY, &c.) I submit Gordon Hinckley the Duplicitous and Melvin Ballard the Navigator.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

alas

Post by alas » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:52 am

LSOF wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:14 am
Along with the standard list (Bednar, Oaks, Holland, Packer, Bircher Benson, BY, &c.) I submit Gordon Hinckley the Duplicitous and Melvin Ballard the Navigator.
Yes, Hinckley. "I don't know that we teach that." There are several statements of his that I wonder what the blank he meant. One made me wonder if he might be NOM. When asked about his testimony, all he said was that the church makes him a better husband. ?????? So, I am supposed to dedicate my whole life to this church because you think it helps you be a better husband? He also said something vague about poligamy and people being mistaken. Who is mistaken? Joseph Smith or people now-a-days who think JS was wrong? Very vague. I have heard some people take it as JS was wrong, and I have heard others use it to say that the women who don't like it just don't understand how glorious it is. Bleh. Could the man ever say things straight? It was always with the wink wink.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:01 pm

MoPag wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:48 am
deacon blues wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:18 pm
I've heard those stories about Elder Bernard, but they sound more like rumors than documented stories. Is there a way to verify them?
Here is a first hand account on a message board:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthread ... c-blessing
Wow 😳 thanks for the reference.😀
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.