Sitting and Standing

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: Sitting and Standing

Post by moksha » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:31 pm

How can you be on a pedestal if no one looks up to you? How can you be an icon if you are not revered? How can you be the triple-combination of a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator without an adoring crowd waiting for you to stand up?

I am certain that the Sadducees and Pharisees had their own protocols in the Sanhedrin and they only bore the title of priest.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Even the apostle Paul knew it was bad to speak bad about the high priest. Near the end of the book of Acts there is a story about it. Concerning the Bednar incident, this seems almost militaristic, in that the emphasis is on rank, just like in the army.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:47 pm

LostGirl wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:31 pm
I have never seen that before and until I watched the video I actually thought you might be exaggerating. It is so blatantly obvious though that they are all waiting for him to stand. That is just plain weird. Do they give instructions to the attendees about this before the meeting now as it seemed like every single person knew they had to wait?
Does he send a list ahead of time like Beyonce with his requirements?
No Brown MnMs. This kind of crap makes me want to spew...violently...on Bednar's shoes. Tyrannical tool.
Just watched. So contrived. Simon says stand!
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 pm

vankimber wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:52 pm
It almost makes me want to attend a meeting he's presiding over just so I can look him in the eye as I stand up before him.
Vankimber, you are my soul sister. Are you a girl?
Anyway, I was thinking the EXACT same thing. My goal is to go to one of his cringe worthy sermons, casually stand up before him and start talking to my neighbor, and make him so angry that he revokes the super holy spirit from everyone's presence. (except his.)

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:52 pm

vankimber wrote:
It almost makes me want to attend a meeting he's presiding over just so I can look him in the eye as I stand up before him.
I thought this too but I probably wouldn't -- wouldn't want to embarrass my spouse.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:12 am

vankimber wrote:
:D

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:56 am

vankimber wrote:
YAASSSSS!!! Let's do it!!! :twisted:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

vankimber

Post by vankimber » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:13 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 pm
vankimber wrote:
Vankimber, you are my soul sister. Are you a girl?
Anyway, I was thinking the EXACT same thing. My goal is to go to one of his cringe worthy sermons, casually stand up before him and start talking to my neighbor, and make him so angry that he revokes the super holy spirit from everyone's presence. (except his.)
Yep, a girl I am, and delighted to be a soul sister!

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:31 pm
How can you be on a pedestal if no one looks up to you? How can you be an icon if you are not revered? How can you be the triple-combination of a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator without an adoring crowd waiting for you to stand up?

I am certain that the Sadducees and Pharisees had their own protocols in the Sanhedrin and they only bore the title of priest.
How can we be lovers if we can't be friends? How can we start over when the fighting never ends?
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:25 pm

The Beast wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:47 pm
No Brown MnMs. This kind of crap makes me want to spew...violently...on Bednar's shoes. Tyrannical tool.
Just watched. So contrived. Simon says stand!
Keep in mind that there were real, important reasons for the ban on brown M&Ms. This wasn't just a capricious whim or a way to be a control freak. Van Halen's Concert Contract Required No Brown M&Ms?

In the situation with no one standing until after Bednar does and him sitting there waiting for a while, it really is all about him demonstrating who is in charge and that everyone else should be bowing before him. There is no other reason for this rule. Particularly in the case with the video. It's not like he needs to rush out or needs to make sure his security detail is there.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")