how to get out of a calling

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Korihor

how to get out of a calling

Post by Korihor » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 pm

from the recent mormonleaks dump
1. Thou shalt teach correct principles and let the people govern themselves
The principle of self-government is basic to the entire administration of the Church. We
operate on the principle of love and persuasion without compulsion. This is the order of
heaven.
President Harold B. Lee, in speaking at a Regional Representatives seminar, told the
following story, which illustrates this principle. He said that he and Elder Melvin J.
Ballard were assigned to attend a regional welfare meeting and stake conference at a
distant stake. When they arrived for the welfare meeting they found everyone in
attendance but one stake president.
“Where is President ______?” Elder Ballard asked the regional chairman.
“I don’t know. He knows about the meeting – I talked with him this morning”
Later the brethren went to the stake president’s home, and they asked his wife where he
was. She replied, “Well, you know there is a banquet for fathers and sons tonight where
you are to speak. He was on the committee to arrange chairs and tables, and he has been
spending all day there.”
Later Elder Ballard said to Elder Lee privately, “Well, I guess if we have a stake president
who thinks he ought to do the work of deacons, we had better get somebody to do the
work of the stake president.” At the next conference there was a reorganization of the
stake presidency.
What a jerk. The poor SP has no help and knows how important it is to be ready for the meeting to honor Ballard and Lee, so he does the work himself and is kicked to curb for it. This stinks to high heaven of "Holier than thou" attitude so pervasive in mormon culture.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Korihor

Re: how to get out of a calling

Post by Korihor » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Oh man, this whole document is gold

https://mormonleaks.io/wiki/documents/a ... Conkie.pdf

McKonkie says here- let me rewrite some scripture for you.
The oath and covenant of the priesthood have terms and conditions. The covenant on
man’s part is: “I will receive the priesthood. I will magnify my calling in the priesthood. I
will keep the commandments.” The actual language of the revelation states: “. . . live by
every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God.” (D&C 84:44.) For the Lord’s
part, the covenant is: “I will, in that event, give you eternal life. All that my Father hath
shall be given unto you.”
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:47 pm

It's really nice not to have to worry about this stuff anymore. To know that all of the "modern revelation" is phony and baseless.

Christianity has enough complications without all the added gnostic garbage synthesized by Joseph Smith & Co.

It's like, "How many hoops can you jump through while doing three double back flips, a somersault and a half gainer? If you can do that 5 times in a row while balancing a spinning top on your nose and THEN bring me a banana split with whipped cream and a cherry on top......MAYBE....I'll tell God to let you have your salvation.

Now....Tell me how much you adore me for showing you the secret handshakes ... " :|
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Palerider wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:47 pm
It's really nice not to have to worry about this stuff anymore. To know that all of the "modern revelation" is phony and baseless.

Christianity has enough complications without all the added gnostic garbage synthesized by Joseph Smith & Co.

It's like, "How many hoops can you jump through while doing three double back flips, a somersault and a half gainer? If you can do that 5 times in a row while balancing a spinning top on your nose and THEN bring me a banana split with whipped cream and a cherry on top......MAYBE....I'll tell God to let you have your salvation.

Now....Tell me how much you adore me for showing you the secret handshakes ... " :|
Yup!

So nice not to worry or wait for time to distance the church from the crazy people of its past.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:09 am

The amazing thing about these guys is that they expect so much respect, as if they are what they claim to be. There is absolutely nothing that suggests that they really are prophets, seers, revelators and witnesses of Jesus Christ. They're administrators of a corporation that is given billions of tax free dollars every year without the requirement of delivering any kind of product apart from an ongoing sales pitch. And members marvel at their management skills. How hard is it to screw up the management of billions of dollars of free money with no expectations and a mandate to never criticize them no matter how much they do screw up??
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:48 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:09 am
The amazing thing about these guys is that they expect so much respect, as if they are what they claim to be. There is absolutely nothing that suggests that they really are prophets, seers, revelators and witnesses of Jesus Christ. They're administrators of a corporation that is given billions of tax free dollars every year without the requirement of delivering any kind of product apart from an ongoing sales pitch. And members marvel at their management skills. How hard is it to screw up the management of billions of dollars of free money with no expectations and a mandate to never criticize them no matter how much they do screw up??
I guess living in a cave or in the desert, wearing camel's hair and eating locusts and wild honey gets to be a tough gig.....much better to have a multi-million dollar home or a sweet condo downtown SLC. The Lord has truly blessed those boys.... ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington