Reading the Book of Mormon again

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Emower

Reading the Book of Mormon again

Post by Emower » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:39 pm

I have been listening to the my book of mormon podcast. Has anyone else listened to it? It's hilarious! Its pretty simple. It is a guy who has read some of the major religious texts out loud on the podcast. This is from an entirely secular point of view, and he gives his agnostic opinions as he reads the text. It is pretty funny. He picks up on a lot of stuff that I never realized as a TBM or apostate. One of the things that was interesting the other day was in 1 Ne 10 Nephi refers to life as a probation. The reader thought that was a really funny/depressing way of viewing life. I thought, well Nephi is clearly referencing Alma 12 which you haven't read yet so you don't get it. Then I thought, wait a minute, Nephi referencing Alma? Then the timeline of the translation came to me with Nephi being the end. Probably never would have thought about that without the podcast. Now clearly Alma could have read Nephi and been referencing him, or Mormon, but it was just interesting to have those thoughts prompted by a normal guy reading the book.

I never had a chance to read the Book of Mormon with an unbiased view. I had been taught too much about it growing up. But it is fascinating to listen to a guy do a normal reading.

Corsair

Re: Reading the Book of Mormon again

Post by Corsair » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Emower wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:39 pm
I have been listening to the my book of mormon podcast. Has anyone else listened to it? It's hilarious! Its pretty simple. It is a guy who has read some of the major religious texts out loud on the podcast. This is from an entirely secular point of view, and he gives his agnostic opinions as he reads the text. It is pretty funny. He picks up on a lot of stuff that I never realized as a TBM or apostate. One of the things that was interesting the other day was in 1 Ne 10 Nephi refers to life as a probation. The reader thought that was a really funny/depressing way of viewing life. I thought, well Nephi is clearly referencing Alma 12 which you haven't read yet so you don't get it. Then I thought, wait a minute, Nephi referencing Alma? Then the timeline of the translation came to me with Nephi being the end. Probably never would have thought about that without the podcast. Now clearly Alma could have read Nephi and been referencing him, or Mormon, but it was just interesting to have those thoughts prompted by a normal guy reading the book.

I never had a chance to read the Book of Mormon with an unbiased view. I had been taught too much about it growing up. But it is fascinating to listen to a guy do a normal reading.
It is known that the books of 1 Nephi and 2 Nephi were translated/dictated after Moroni. They were placed at the front of the book chronologically, but were put to paper nearly last. Faithful Book of Mormon scholars will acknowledge this point. What they might have trouble acknowledging is the Nephi might have referenced Alma the Younger who lived around 400 to 500 years after Nephi.

As you might suspect, the whole fiasco with the missing 116 pages is what happened before that time. 1 and 2 Nephi appearing at the physical end of the plates would have been God's transcendent foreknowledge.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Emower wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:39 pm
And it came to pass... D****!!! (SPOLER ALERT, you probably haven't made it far enough to know what comes next...)

I love this podcast. I can honestly say that I have listened to EVERY WORD from the Book of Mormon and Pearl of Great Price since I found out the truth about the church, and sorry, my testimony of mormonism has not been restored. It's extremely enlightening to get a complete outsider's point of view on the "Most correct book on earth."

Currently working on the D&C. Hopefully the folks doing the podcast will keep it up, I'm excited for them to try and restore my belief. (Yeah, not gonna happen, but I'm still going to listen to the podcast.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Loved the podcast! It was fun listening to him to try and figure out Mormon theology from the BOM. I listened up to the d&c parts.where he brought in the naked mormonism guy...cant stand his podcast for some reason.
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?