Caffeine now sold at BYU

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
didyoumythme

Caffeine now sold at BYU

Post by didyoumythme » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:27 am

https://www.google.com/amp/universe.byu ... ampus/amp/

BYU is starting to openly sell caffeinated beverages all around campus now. I wonder how this could (prob won't) affect members' ideas about the word of wisdom. "If it really isn't the caffeine that keeps us from coffee, what is the reason?"

What are your thoughts on the change?
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Red Ryder

Re: Caffeine now sold at BYU

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:33 am

Like all things mormon, change will eventually come 50 years later.

This is just another example.

I'm not trying to be prophetic here, but if:

1978 - Black people are allowed the priesthood.
2017 - Caffeinated soda sold on BYU campus.
2056 - Black coffee should be ok.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:43 am

Yaaaaaayyyyyy!

I will be watching my parents and sister carefully to see how they process this; they are the most caffeine-phobic in my family.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:51 am

Wow! I just texted the story link to my TBM caffeine drinking husband and son at BYU. I'm so excited to get caffeine the next time we visit my son and go to a football game!

I suspect that as with everything, this was about $. Who the Hell was buying caffeine free coke? Gross. I feel bad for the owner of the BYU caffeine delivery business from the article though.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:54 am

I'm loosing my testimony!

This is NOT RIGHT!!!!

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:33 pm

What a load of crap.....

"BYU Dining Services announced this morning that it reversed its previous decision to not sell caffeinated beverages on campus. Caffeinated Coke products will be available through soda fountains and at vending machines across campus.

“We have seen consumer preferences change over time,” said University Communications spokeswoman Carri Jenkins. “This decision is a measure to accommodate consumer requests.”

On Aug. 29, 2012, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints posted a blog in the newsroom section of LDS.org that read: “The Church does not prohibit the use of caffeine.”

A few days later, Jenkins told The Daily Universe the continuing ban “has been based on what our customers want, and there has not been a demand for caffeinated beverages.”

Sometimes you just have to shake your head in dis-belief at what an institution will say to give the appearance of an issue being unrelated to church policy and doctrine. Total crap....

And you can bet that they had to get permission from the boys at the COB to proceed with this move.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 pm

This is one of the signs of the apocalypse from the point of view of some very orthodox TBMs I know. I really wish that the modern version of Bruce McConkie would speak up about this and muddy the rhetoric about this "change". It would not help anyone, but it would entertain me.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Palerider wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:33 pm
What a load of crap.....
Right? Why don't we go ahead and write the announcement for when garments are no longer necessary in 200 years:
"Beehive Clothing announced this morning that it reversed its previous decision to sell garments. Normal undergarment products will be available through the internet and at vending machines across all stake centers.

“We have seen consumer preferences change over time,” said Beehive Clothing spokeswoman Carri Jenkins. “This decision is a measure to accommodate consumer requests.”

On Aug. 29, 2212, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints posted a blog in the newsroom section of LDS.org that read: “The Church does not prohibit the use of normal underwear.”

A few days later, Jenkins told The Daily Universe the continuing ban “has been based on what our customers want, and there has not been a demand for polyester polygamy panties.”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 pm
Palerider wrote:
What a load of crap.....
Right? Why don't we go ahead and write the announcement for when garments are no longer necessary in 200 years:
"Beehive Clothing announced this morning that it reversed its previous decision to sell garments. Normal undergarment products will be available through the internet and at vending machines across all stake centers.

“We have seen consumer preferences change over time,” said Beehive Clothing spokeswoman Carri Jenkins. “This decision is a measure to accommodate consumer requests.”

On Aug. 29, 2212, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints posted a blog in the newsroom section of LDS.org that read: “The Church does not prohibit the use of normal underwear.”

A few days later, Jenkins told The Daily Universe the continuing ban “has been based on what our customers want, and there has not been a demand for polyester polygamy panties.”
:lol: 8-)

And since when does church policy get posted as "a blog in the newsroom section of LDS.org" ???????

"Prophet, seer and revelator, President Blog today announced that the church does not restrict non-members from attending temple weddings....." :o
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Palerider wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:55 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 pm
Palerider wrote:
What a load of crap.....

We have seen consumer preferences change over time,” said Beehive Clothing spokeswoman Carri Jenkins. “This decision is a measure to accommodate consumer requests.”

A few days later, Jenkins told The Daily Universe the continuing ban has been based on what our customers want, and there has not been a demand for polyester polygamy panties.”
:lol: 8-)

And since when does church policy get posted as "a blog in the newsroom section of LDS.org" ???????

"Prophet, seer and revelator, President Blog today announced that the church does not restrict non-members from attending temple weddings....." :o
First of all, I'm with you, Palerider, on calling bullshit on this.

Shaming me over caffeine was a favorite past-time of my ex and my believing son disapproved of my Diet Coke consumption until I told him I no longer believed and followed that announcement over a year later with telling him I drink tea and I'm going to start drinking it out in the open.

The ban on coffee and tea was always told to us as being about caffeine. Period.

Why is Hot Cocoa okay? Why is cola a grey area? I was told because of the amount of the caffeine. There may be the equivalent amount of caffeine in my 32 oz. Diet Coke as there is in an 8 oz. cup of joe, but that's four times the amount of liquid. I can hear the collective eye rolls, now, but those were the apologetics I was given.

Anyway, I will be grateful to see coffee and tea eventually openly sold at the Y.

The rewritten announcement points out something very starkly the original did not, for me. This isn't about obeying the Almighty God. This is about getting more of the almighty dollar.

I put the statements that very clearly show that in an appropriate shade of green.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:29 pm

So what was the REAL reason they changed their minds?

Some ideas, purly speculation on my part.

1. TSM got tired of not being able to get a real coke.
2. Outcry from fans at sporting events.
3. Cost of caffeine free coke getting too pricy.
4. Contract dispute with Coke-a-Cola Inc. likely to result in large fines so they changed the policy.

End of the day, it always comes down to money with the church.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

alas

Post by alas » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm

I suspect it has more to do with who in the 12 has died. My BIL was very high up in BYU food services. After making one BYU eating place financially self supporting, he was moved up into another failing BYU eating place and made that one financially sound. I remember one conversation some 15 years ago where DH asked BIL when BYU was going to allow Coke on campus. BIL said about three years after brother X dies. Perhaps the timing is a bit off, but prophets only give approximate dates on when things happen. Apparently BIL had gotten into a few arguments with a particular person about how to make BYU food services not constantly in the red. Coke was one thing he thought would improve sales. So, yeah, it still comes down to money. But like the priesthood ban, it took the right people dying.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:46 pm

I think Elder Utchdorf was at BYU and needed his Diet Coke fix. They have made custom cans for BYU in his honor.

Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Change is good. Bring it on. Back to the WoW not constraint but as advice. Outside of hard drugs, who cares.

Bring on the change. My GGrandkids will have a COJCOLDS I crave.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:17 pm

It is ridiculous. Just like the no beard and no long hair for boys thing.

There was a meme going around BYU that had a picture of Jesus, Brigham Young, and Hitler on it that said "Only one of these three would be allowed in the BYU testing center" (mustaches are allowed).

I would just be embarrassed if I was the BYU administration. They defend stupid and pointless rules.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm loosing my testimony...just like BYU looses games....

oops...sorry.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Connecting the dots...
Attachments
FB_IMG_1506051350130.jpg
FB_IMG_1506051350130.jpg (28.92 KiB) Viewed 13093 times
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm
I'm loosing my testimony...just like BYU looses games....

oops...sorry.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This one's actually pretty good. Maybe the tipping point was the games. They lost to institutions that allow their students to drink standard cola. Yeah. That must be it.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Looks like Coke has cornered the BYU market.

Will the High Inquisitioner of the Honor Code Committee be having hearings on whether the Food and Administrative Services should be put on secret double-probation?

Wonder how many committees that decision went through before the Brethren okayed it?

As soft drinks go, Coke has always been my favorite. It's the real thing and it will teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:58 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:37 pm
Looks like Coke has cornered the BYU market.

Will the High Inquisitioner of the Honor Code Committee be having hearings on whether the Food and Administrative Services should be put on secret double-probation?

Wonder how many committees that decision went through before the Brethren okayed it?

As soft drinks go, Coke has always been my favorite. It's the real thing and it will teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.
I KNEW IT!!!! That is what the MO-TAB DOES before concerts!