Caffeine now sold at BYU

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
MoPag

Re: Caffeine now sold at BYU

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:53 am

mooseman wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 pm
Connecting the dots...
Yep, so much this!^^^
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 am

Give It Time wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:21 pm
Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm
I'm loosing my testimony...just like BYU looses games....

oops...sorry.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This one's actually pretty good. Maybe the tipping point was the games. They lost to institutions that allow their students to drink standard cola. Yeah. That must be it.

Does make you wonder. How many recruits do they loose when they see that they can't get a full octane coke? If I were looking at a college and saw that, that would raise a lot more questions about what else I would be in store for at that school. What other weird rules would you have to deal with that would make life harder that it should be.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:57 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 am
Give It Time wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:21 pm
Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm
I'm loosing my testimony...just like BYU looses games....

oops...sorry.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This one's actually pretty good. Maybe the tipping point was the games. They lost to institutions that allow their students to drink standard cola. Yeah. That must be it.

Does make you wonder. How many recruits do they loose when they see that they can't get a full octane coke? If I were looking at a college and saw that, that would raise a lot more questions about what else I would be in store for at that school. What other weird rules would you have to deal with that would make life harder that it should be.
Honor code man.....if you get raped, YOU GET A FILE OPENED ON YOU!........rape culture.

Its a weird place man...

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:02 am

They are thinking of adding a Dieter F. Cola to the Salt Lake Temple cafeteria menu. ;)
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:42 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:37 pm
Looks like Coke has cornered the BYU market.

Will the High Inquisitioner of the Honor Code Committee be having hearings on whether the Food and Administrative Services should be put on secret double-probation?

Wonder how many committees that decision went through before the Brethren okayed it?

As soft drinks go, Coke has always been my favorite. It's the real thing and it will teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.
I think you nailed it as to why I prefer Coke to Pepsi.

I was just posting on the Word of Wisdom thread and so my thoughts are connected these two threads. Maybe this is the first sign of an admission of defeat that what is verboten to drink is just ridiculous. If it is, it's interesting strategy. They aren't going to have new revelation. They aren't going to decanonize 89 (at least this set of apostles won't), they're just going to quietly let it fade in importance. I can hear the shelves cracking forty years hence. I can see the subject of the fourteenth essay, right now.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 am

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Glad to see some change !!!!!!!! WE can only hope that this leads to being able to drink Coffee or what other excuse the Bretheren will come up with to ban Coffee now that they cannot use the caffiene deal.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Rebel wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:19 pm
Glad to see some change !!!!!!!! WE can only hope that this leads to being able to drink Coffee or what other excuse the Bretheren will come up with to ban Coffee now that they cannot use the caffiene deal.
I was just going to mention this, again. A Word of Wisdom 2.0 by John Dehlin turned up in my Facebook news feed as a like from a friend. This really is throwing a spotlight onto the topic and is making it a topic of discussion. Since this was brought about by the church and no real outside pressure, it won't happen right away, but I see this as a step toward not shaming people for making healthy beverage choices.

This, btw, was the reason I came out at work. I was tired of the side-eye I got when I drank tea. I thought it amazing our religion actually has us shaming each other when we make healthy beverage choices and the shaming for healthy choices doesn't stop there. Amazing. Simply amazing.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:35 pm

I keep seeing articles about how overjoyed BYU students are and how they feel like they've finally crossed the desert and reached the oasis.

If caffeine brings them this much joy, imagine how they would feel if they were actually getting spiritual enlightenment!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:12 am

Rebel wrote:
Tannic acids man! That stuff is used to tan hides and it will eat a hole in your stomach the size of a grape fruit!
:lol:

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:12 am
Rebel wrote:
Tannic acids man! That stuff is used to tan hides and it will eat a hole in your stomach the size of a grape fruit!
If Tannic Acid does that, imagine what hydrochloric acid does!????? (which is what your stomach makes in the first place).

Why hasn't the church received a revelation against hydrochloric acid?....

We gotta start a movement!!!! The brethren have GOT TO GET ON THE BALL WITH THIS!!!!!!!!!!

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:54 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:35 pm
I keep seeing articles about how overjoyed BYU students are and how they feel like they've finally crossed the desert and reached the oasis.

If caffeine brings them this much joy, imagine how they would feel if they were actually getting spiritual enlightenment!
Of course it is much easier to allow caffeinated drinks on the menu then to actually deliver that spiritual meal promised. It's all part of the plan of happiness.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:23 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 am
FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:12 am
Rebel wrote:
If Tannic Acid does that, imagine what hydrochloric acid does!????? (which is what your stomach makes in the first place).

Why hasn't the church received a revelation against hydrochloric acid?....

We gotta start a movement!!!! The brethren have GOT TO GET ON THE BALL WITH THIS!!!!!!!!!!
I'm surprised they church hasn't issued a ban on Dihydrogen Monoxide. That's a brutal drug. Just google "Ban DHMO" to see how mad it is.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:14 am

Why is everyone so excited about this? It's a spiritual trap. The church is testing the students at BYU just like JS did to BY. You're all failing the test!

Even though God put the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the garden and made it bear the most delicious fruit ever - Adam and Eve were still told not to eat it.
Well... God just put a very delicious and desirable beverage in the middle of his classroom - why can you all not see it's a trap?
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am

CokeNativity.JPG
CokeNativity
CokeNativity.JPG (26.03 KiB) Viewed 10614 times
Spanish Coke Nativity goes on sale at the BYU bookstore.

Makes for some great memes though.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:41 am

This just in from Consumer Reports: Coffee’s Powerful Health Benefits

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox ... 22ec4e7f46
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:43 am

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:44 am

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:50 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:02 am
They are thinking of adding a Dieter F. Cola to the Salt Lake Temple cafeteria menu. ;)
What sort of beverage would the Dieter F. Cola be?

Diet Coke with a shot of non-alcoholic Jägermeister?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am
Spanish Coke Nativity goes on sale at the BYU bookstore.

Makes for some great memes though.
That better be a decaffeinated Jesus or you are getting reported to the Honor Code office.