Elder Bednar deserves some credit...

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Not Buying It

Elder Bednar deserves some credit...

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:03 pm

He was still able to deliver his Sunday morning General Conference address with Elder Hallstrom's lips firmly affixed to his buttocks. Elder Hallstrom's sucking up to him by repeating Elder Bednar's ridiculous "faith to not be healed" quote - which I despise and consider merely a pathetic excuse for the apostles not being able to heal anybody of anything - as he preceded Elder Bednar really turned my stomach. Gag.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

DPRoberts

Re: Elder Bednar deserves some credit...

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Yes, I noticed that as well. Odd choice of what to quote, I thought. Bednar may end up regretting his attempt to spin Mormoniism's lack of a God of miracles.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:53 pm

That's not a title I commonly see around here.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:59 pm

I slept through Bednar's talk. What was it about?
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:43 pm

It was a snoozer. He used the word "promises" a lot. A less than stellar attempt to say they're not all empty, perhaps?
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:05 pm

LSOF wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:59 pm
I slept through Bednar's talk. What was it about?
More of a reminder that you members out there don't get to Heaven without "partaking of the Divine nature" only offered or available through our exclusive priesthood and it's
ordinances and covenants.

He uses Biblical scripture to begin his point but quickly goes astray with false doctrine and psychological manipulation.

Sad to see someone so unwilling to allow others to ask honest questions be so absolutely questioning of any way other than his own.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:14 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:52 pm
Yes, I noticed that as well. Odd choice of what to quote, I thought. Bednar may end up regretting his attempt to spin Mormoniism's lack of a God of miracles.
I noticed lots of immediate quoting going on, especially in the final talk by elder Anderson quoting Eyring's earlier talk.

Incestuous sucking-up comes to mind. :oops:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 am

Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it now but I heard a whole lot of 1) inbreed quoting of each.other's pablum and 2) lower your expectations about priesthood power and leaders.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:14 am

You might have the faith to not be healed, but do you have the faith to remain uninspired?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:24 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 am
Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it now but I heard a whole lot of...lower your expectations about priesthood power and leaders.
On the one hand, that's a good thing. I think there was and are a lot of unrealistic expectations.

On the other hand, Anderson's talk basically said listen to conference, because it's the voice of God talking to you, not these men. You can't have it both ways, my friends. But of course, how many members will actually pick up on that dichotomy?
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:00 am

I rather think that "faith to not be healed" is loaded with unintended consequences. It's logically equivalent to "I'll skip the blessing and take my chances with modern medicine."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:30 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:14 am
You might have the faith to not be healed, but do you have the faith to remain uninspired?
I get it. What bass-awkward thinking. 🤔
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:14 pm
I noticed lots of immediate quoting going on, especially in the final talk by elder Anderson quoting Eyring's earlier talk.

Incestuous sucking-up comes to mind. :oops:
I think the intent was for him to model what we all should be doing during conference. Lord knows I've heard enough SPs, BPs, EQPs, HPGLs, you name it, harp on the importance of taking notes during conference. "I want to see all of you with a notebook brethren! We will discuss your notes in our next meeting!"

And now the line is going to be, "Look to Elder Andersen's example. He's an apostle of the lord and he took notes. An apostle! That shows how important taking notes is. Why didn't you take them!?!?!?"
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:41 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:24 am
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 am
Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it now but I heard a whole lot of...lower your expectations about priesthood power and leaders.
On the one hand, that's a good thing. I think there was and are a lot of unrealistic expectations.

On the other hand, Anderson's talk basically said listen to conference, because it's the voice of God talking to you, not these men. You can't have it both ways, my friends. But of course, how many members will actually pick up on that dichotomy?
That's exactly the problem. They demand that we take their lofty claims seriously but then blame us for expecting any actual manifestation of those claims. In the real world that's called false advertising/bait-and-switch. They remain highly critical of members who fail to live up to expectations of things like tithing payment, ear piercings, meeting attendance, asking the wrong kinds of questions, etc.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:03 pm
He was still able to deliver his Sunday morning General Conference address with Elder Hallstrom's lips firmly affixed to his buttocks. Elder Hallstrom's sucking up to him by repeating Elder Bednar's ridiculous "faith to not be healed" quote - which I despise and consider merely a pathetic excuse for the apostles not being able to heal anybody of anything - as he preceded Elder Bednar really turned my stomach. Gag.
Haha, I am not sure if that is where is lips were firmly affixed.

That reminds me of 2 funny things. Once my Stake Pres. FiL told me that to get anywhere in life you have to learn to suck the executive (0(#. That caught me completely off guard coming from a SP and FIL.

Also, do you know the difference between a brown-noser and a $#!+head? Depth perception!!! ;-)