Prophet for a day?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
1smartdodog

Prophet for a day?

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:36 pm

If you could be prophet for a day what are one or two things you would implement, change or eliminate that would get the most bang?

I thought about eliminating tithing but that may make the church poorer but would not alter the culture so much.

I think I would eliminate the W of W. And eliminate garments. Those are two things that let Mormons feel separated from the world. It would force members to live more like their neighbors. Really those are just two of my pet peeves so I would like them to go away.

What would you do?
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

wtfluff

Re: Prophet for a day?

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:45 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:36 pm
If you could be prophet for a day what are one or two things you would implement, change or eliminate that would get the most bang?

One day isn't enough time to burn the entire thing to the ground, so I'll have to pass. :twisted:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:54 pm

I would give women the priesthood. It's time. But then the next day someone like Bednar would say I was just speaking as a woman.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:34 pm

I would preach that the church isn't capital T True.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:39 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:54 pm
I would give women the priesthood. It's time. But then the next day someone like Bednar would say I was just speaking as a woman.
Ha ha ha. That's hilarious!

Getting rid of garments and allowing coffee consumption would start the road to normalization.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Change the temple recommend interview to one question, "Do you feel worthy to enter the temple?"

Making tithing a requirement is paying for salvation. Making the WOW a requirement is against the scriptures.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Since someone already suggested giving women the priesthood, I will suggest something else. So, the SECOND thing I would do, after giving women the priesthood and creating a quorum of 12 women to be equal to the q/12 of the men, and a first presidency of women to be totally equal to the male first presidency. Then just get rid of the 70s as bloated management.

Then that afternoon, as corporate sole, I would sell off all the church's business holdings, all the land it keeps to earn money on, and all other financial investments and donate it to the poor. Lots of wells for clean water could be dug, lots of homes could be built for the homeless, lots of starving people could be fed.

Without so many financial holdings, maybe it would turn the church back into a church, instead of a fortune five hundred company with a religious hobby.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Disavow polygamy.
Resolve all related issues.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:40 am

It would be a long day, and I would have a pen and scribe handy to exact many changes.
Give women priesthood and reorganize ward, stake, and generally leadership to fully integrate women.
Give emeritus status to leaders over 70.
Separate marriage from dealings
Define tithing as being 10% after living expenses have been met
Start programs to really help the poor and needy
Allow gays to marry and integrate fully into the church
Apologize to the world for treatment of blacks, gays, women, polygamy, etc
Relieve Darth Vader (Oaks) from his service as well as most of the leadership.
Get rid of excommunication except for extreme circumstances like murder, rape, and other criminal acts.
Eliminate the word of wisdom
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:50 am

I cannot conceive of a cogent list of changes that could take place in one day. But maybe I could hold golf cart races against other apostles in the tunnels under temple square and the COB.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 am

Eliminate temple recommends.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:06 pm

1. Become an actual church/religion, end the business-economic-theocratic kingdom nonsense. Re-incorporate the church as a regular 501(c) non-profit organization, no more corporate sole. All church members would have voting rights in selecting officers of the corporation, and in approving the church's budgets. Like an ordinary church.

2. Become a professionally staffed church/religion. Provide/require professional ministerial training for all callings and positions, at all levels. Based on customary practices in religions. And some callings at the local level would be paid, anything requiring more than 10 hours a week. Let members apply for callings (volunteer or paid jobs) that they are interested in, then have the members take training and pass certification before starting. Basically, end the amateurish local congregational leadership and become an actual religion.

There are many more, but these two would be fun, make the changes and watch the ripple effect. Also, the church owes the members this, they collect more kingdom taxes (aka tithing) from the members than most US States do from citizens. The church has the money to make things right and convert the church to a religion. They should do the right thing, and let the consequences follow. I think many problems in the church would self-correct over time if these two changes were implemented.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Eliminate the one year wait between civil wedding and sealing.

Jettison HT/VT and replace them with calling trees.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Emower

Post by Emower » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:43 pm

I would release a letter to be read at all sacrament meetings that said I didn't actually talk to god or Jesus in a way that was different from anyone else. I feel like that would explain the most and prompt the needed discussions.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 am

Open the vault. Pray something really damaging is in it. Let the chips fall where they may.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:38 am

Anon70 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 am
Open the vault. Pray something really damaging is in it. Let the chips fall where they may.
That might be a very good option. There is rumored to be an Oliver Cowdery journal in the vault which surely must be a treasure trove of historical interest.

redjay

Post by redjay » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:50 am

Make a rap video - why not, after all I would be richer than the queen of England.

Commission more seasons of Preacher on Amazon.

No use doing anything like saying it's a crock or doing anything super progressive - they'd just get you sent to the loony bin the next day, or whatever, and reverse the decisions.

In fact the best approach might be introduce some ultra daft policy, like the burka - that the yes men would all agree to, and the general membership would baulk at.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 am

Change all the occurrences of the word "may" in this document to the word "will".

https://www.lds.org/topics/abuse?lang

I would make other changes to it, as well, but I only have one day and that change would have the biggest impact.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:29 pm

If I were the Prophet like I used to believe in, I would get an actual revelation from god and set the church on the right road.

If however the best I could become is the prophet or president of the Corp, I would transfer all the funds into an untraceable offshore account and call myself on an indefinite mission.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Ordain a woman to fill Elder Hale's shoes and go seal a gay couple in the temple.
At the end of the day, set a precedent by retiring from the Q15, and encouraging anyone else too old to run a lap around the tabernacle to do the same. (Not trying to slight disabled people, only 80-year old guys.)