Prophet for a day?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Random

Re: Prophet for a day?

Post by Random » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:36 pm
If you could be prophet for a day what are one or two things you would implement, change or eliminate that would get the most bang?
. . .

What would you do?
I would teach that tithing is only to be 10% on one's surplus, and implement a policy that the very poor are not allowed to pay tithing unless they have paid all their bills, have enough money for food for the month, etc.

I would change the temple recommend questions as follows:

Discussion questions. If there was a struggle with faith, it wouldn't matter as long as they really wanted to go to the temple. If the temple really brings people closer to God, then it seems like sinners ought to go there if they want to.
  • Do you have a desire to become closer to God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?

Do you consider yourself ready to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?
I would never make a child guilty of the sins of the parents. All children would be welcome to be blessed and baptized with their parents' permission.

I would forbid standing for a general authority. I would forbid general authorities to have better paper, lunches, perks, than the run-of-the-mill employee.

I would ban Heartsell (TM) from our use.

I would stop "living allowances."
I would stop giving perks like fancy cars to general authorities.
All general authorities would be given emeritus status at age 70 to 75 (depending on their health). If they were in poor health, they would be released immediately (there is no need for a general authority to practically pass out at the podium).

I would make a policy that all private journals belong to the person who wrote the journals. After the person's death, they would belong to whoever inherited them (in the family, for example).

I would forbid temple marriages and make all temple sealings be sealings only, after a wedding of the couple's choice had been performed. There would be no waiting period, no strings.

All money collected at local levels would stay at local levels. Poor wards and stakes could request help from wealthier ones. Tithing would be for the poor. Fast offering would be done away with.

The Church's business arm would gradually be eliminated.

People could attend whatever ward and stake they choose.

If there were three hours of church on Sunday, it would be divided so people could go home for lunch. In large wards (geographically speaking), church would not be more than 2 hours. No extra meetings would be required. If people/leaders wanted to meet to discuss things, they could.

People who did not attend would not be hounded nor put on lists and talked about. Help for those in need would be given quietly.

Bishops and stake presidents would be given training in psychology, etc.

All preaching about how awesome we are, we have "keys", we must obey leaders (in other words, all rameumpton behavior) would be strongly discouraged.

I could go on, but that is a long enough list.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:10 am

Okay, that was waaaay more than one or two, but once I got started, I could not stop.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

shadow

Post by shadow » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Robert Kirby must have seen our thread and decided to make an entry. I'm sure he had a draft saved here and one at the Tribune. Just hit submit on the wrong site.

Kirby: If God picks me to be the next Mormon prophet, here’s what I will do
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:50 pm

Since the BoM is considered the keystone of the religion, I would be honest and declare it to be pseudepigraphic as well as the rest of the so-called "modern revelations".

By implication the rest, that is:
Joseph Smith
Priesthood
Plural marriage
Wow
Temple craziness
Etc. Etc.

would collapse....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington