Do you believe in God?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Gatorbait

Do you believe in God?

Post by Gatorbait » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:44 am

As a youngster, growing up in a time when the Second World War was fresh on the minds of my parents, both of whom served in the military during the war and saw awful things, I often heard this line, "There are no atheists in fox holes".

Of course I knew what fox holes this was pertaining to, those that soldiers dug so that they could have protection from the enemy, but I'd never been in one, and had no experience of war. And although I was taught to utter simple prayers, I did not believe in any god. Could not wrap my mind around it.

Later on I was exposed to religion, joined the LDS church, and all that time I struggled with my lack of belief- not in a church- but in God.

I heard the stories, read scriptures and convinced myself that God was real and that prayers somehow wafted heavenword and were listened to and answered. That brought a lot of peace. That was a good time for me.

My parents however did not believe. My dad urged me to reconsider my activity in the LDS church, counseled against serving a mission. My mom was okay with whatever I did provided I did it in peace and kindness.

I went. I served, and kept mission rules and it was a meaningful experience. But still and all, when I looked into the star-filled sky at night, my doubt that there was a god never really left me.

Enough about me...what about the rest of you? Do you believe in God?
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Give It Time

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by Give It Time » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 am

I believe we are connected on an unseen level. I don't know if there are deities of both good and evil. I haven't ruled it out, but my beliefs are really resonating with philosophical Taoism. As for the efficacy of belief in a deity and praying to that deity for assistance, I'll share what I posted on another thread.
There's an old Chinese folktale that a devout Buddhist once asked Guanyin, the Boddhisatva of Mercy, to whom she prayed. Guanyin replied that she prayed to Guanyin. The Buddhist inquired why. Guanyin replied that enlightenment and obtaining Buddha nature resides within all of us and that it makes sense to pray to our Buddha nature.

The author further explained the fable, thusly. Regardless of religion, when we pray, we make a number of assumptions.

1. A deity exists to hear the prayer. If a deity didn't exist, the prayer would go to no one and be pointless.

2. The deity can hear us. If the deity exists, but can't hear us, the prayers do no good.

3. The deity is actually listening.

4. We assume the deity cares about our problems.

5. We assume the deity wants to help. What if the deity wants events to unfold naturally?

6. We assume the deity's help will be timely.

In praying to your own Buddha nature (yourself, really, and it's weird at first), this is what happens:

1. Do you exist? Yes.

2. Can you hear yourself? Yes.

3. Are you listening to yourself? Yes.

4. Do you care about your own problems? Yes, you care very much.

5. Will you do something to help yourself? Entirely up to you, but at least it's a very strong possibility for personal accountability.

6. Will you help yourself in a timely manner? Again, up to you.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:15 am

As always: Which "god" should I believe in?

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

alas

Post by alas » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:16 am

As to which deity, I have always been partial to that Gold one with the jade beads in the bottom right hand corner of the above picture.

In fifth grade we had to do an art project from some other country, a tooth pick Eiffel tower, a sugar cube Big Ben, whatever. So, I did the laughing Buddha. 55 years later, I still have the beet up salt clay figure, plus two garden statues, three statues inside, plus various other jewelry and stuff. So, if there is one concept of a deity that I love, it is the jolly fat god.

I also love St Francis of Asissi. I have him in my garden too. I had a pagan goddess, but she got left in the yard when we moved, or thrown away because she was falling apart.

But as to my actual concept of God, I think there is something "out there". But whether you want to call it collective consciousness, God, or something else, I am not sure. God is more that just the divinity within each of us. And each creation has equal divinity within; each rock and tree is also God, just as we are God. But there is also some intelligence "out there" that can communicate with us, when and if it chooses. But, maybe that intelligence is no more or less powerful than we are. I believe there is something to Christ's atonement, but it isn't what Mormonism teaches, but more about service and love and less about getting out of a punishment for sin. Of those religions that are as much philosophy as religion, I have studied Taoism and Buddhism. There are even good ideas in Mormonism that I still believe and I am culturally Mormon. But you know, we can't KNOW any of this.

So, once on the old NOM, I said, because I believe in Christ, I am Christian. Because I believe in the God that is in everything in the earth, in each rock, or lake, or waterfall, then I am a pantheist. Because I believe in many gods, who have domain over water, or air, I am pagan. Because I believe in the philosophy of Buddhism, because we can't know any of it anyway, I am agnostic but I believe in something....anyway, so all that makes me a pantheist, pagan, Christian, Buddhist,Taoist, agnostic, Mormon who believes in reincarnation

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Yes, absolutely.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:36 am

I don't believe in an interfering god, i.e. one that works outside of physics.

What kicked off the big bang, if there was some intent to the universe, or why I am me instead of a kid in Malaysia I don't know, but they keep my wondering.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:12 pm

The book, "The Evolution of God" goes through the historical progression of how the idea of a single, male, invisible deity who had a special spot in his heart for just the Jews (not Chinese, Slavs, native Americans, native Australians, Koreans, or Africans etc.) came about over time. He uses archaeological evidence as well as the bible itself to show that the idea of a single God came from a belief of many different Gods. Our God, was just one in a pantheon of Gods, but this progressed towards there only being one God. This is why "God is one" is such a theme in the Bible. It also shows how the character and idea of who God is, what his purpose is, whether he was kind or vengeful, etc. has changed over time. The reason why he has a ton of different names is because he was melded from many different Gods and/or ideas of Gods. The Roman emperor converting to Christianity, and then Rome being the boss of the world for so long certainly helped spread things. It has also been spread by colonialism. Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism, and Islam is an offshoot of Christianity.

If God cares about what we believe about him, he certainly isn't powerful enough to make it clear to us.

Honestly, my loss of faith in my idea of God was difficult for me. I felt abandoned, lost, and alone. Losing a faith in God makes many people afraid of dying (I don't struggle with this personally). But... The toothpaste doesn't go back into the tube.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Another book that I recommend is "Zealot" by Reza Aslan. It is a look at the historical Jesus.

The truth does indeed set you free.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:46 pm

I bounce back and forth. Today I'm 52% theist. I confess I love the N.T. Story of Jesus, and I'm probably biased in that direction. I can believe in a God of absolute Truth and unqualified Love. If there is a God I am surely one of God's most blessed children.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:50 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 am
I believe we are connected on an unseen level. I don't know if there are deities of both good and evil. I haven't ruled it out, but my beliefs are really resonating with philosophical Taoism. As for the efficacy of belief in a deity and praying to that deity for assistance, I'll share what I posted on another thread.
There's an old Chinese folktale that a devout Buddhist once asked Guanyin, the Boddhisatva of Mercy, to whom she prayed. Guanyin replied that she prayed to Guanyin. The Buddhist inquired why. Guanyin replied that enlightenment and obtaining Buddha nature resides within all of us and that it makes sense to pray to our Buddha nature.

The author further explained the fable, thusly. Regardless of religion, when we pray, we make a number of assumptions.

1. A deity exists to hear the prayer. If a deity didn't exist, the prayer would go to no one and be pointless.

2. The deity can hear us. If the deity exists, but can't hear us, the prayers do no good.

5. We assume the deity wants to help. What if the deity wants events to unfold naturally?

In praying to your own Buddha nature (yourself, really, and it's weird at first), this is what happens:

1. Do you exist? Yes.

5. Will you do something to help yourself? Entirely up to you, but at least it's a very strong possibility for personal accountability.

This is great. Thanks for posting.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:55 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:50 pm
Give It Time wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 am

1. Do you exist? Yes.

This is great. Thanks for posting.
You're welcome.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:39 pm

I believe in God and I really like the philosophy of Jesus regarding love, mercy, and forgiveness.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 pm

I believe and have faith in God and Christ. And I believe that as the good but doubting Thomas was not condemned for his disbelief, all who seek goodness will eventually be given opportunity to believe.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:51 pm

I am very skeptical about a super-intelligence type God claimed by most religions. Maybe there is a god, but I see no evidence that this type of being exists. If faith is thinking it would be neat, then I have faith in God!

I have mentioned the concept of ignosticism before on NOM. I actually find the question of "do you believe in God" impossible to answer until we agree on a definition of God. The word "God" is too ambiguous to be meaningful.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

NOMormon

Post by NOMormon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:29 am

I've always had this idea that there is something special and unique about life on earth. I know we evolved but it just seems like there must be some deeper point to it all. I think the answer is much bigger than an immortal homosapien father figure testing our righteousness. I think right now the answer is beyond our ken. So in the eyes of a typical Mormon believer I would be classified as atheist but I do posses this deep conviction that the universe has meaning and perhaps we have meaning also.
I know the church is true beyond any shadow of a doubt. I love my Mom and Dad and I know they love me too.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:42 pm

No.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:57 am

Mormon god no. Maybe there could be something else but it seems to matter little. God d is not really doing anything productive. Unless he spends all his time keeping the univers from exploding, he does not have time or desire to concern himself with trivial stuff like human tragedy.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:52 pm

I want God to be there. Sometimes I even pray, but I don't have confidence that there is anything listening. Like others, I have felt alone. If there is a God, It has not shown an interest in developing a consistent form of worship. I hope my life has been good enough that I can look God in the eye if I have to come face-to-face after this life, but I am anticipating a peaceful oblivion.