Does a faithful lifestyle make you fat?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Korihor

Does a faithful lifestyle make you fat?

Post by Korihor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Of course, there is no universal answer.

Generally speaking, does being an active, faithful church member make one prone to gaining weight or being out of shape?

I didn't prioritize regular exercise when I was TBM. Work, kids, church stuff, etc and something's gotta give. Not enough hours in the day and I didn't put reasonable exercise on the agenda.

My TBM SIL is currently a young mommy of 2. I've known her since she was 12. In her late teens/early 20's she was very active and fit. She followed the program and married a recently returned missionary.now she's mid 20's and ... well ... doesn't wear the same dress size.

Of course there is some good (modest) eye candy at BYU. But once you fall in line and follow the program, does it significantly increase the likelihood of gaining weight?
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Give It Time

Re: Does a faithful lifestyle make you fat?

Post by Give It Time » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:20 am

According to the authors of The Blue Zones, religious affiliation is an important factor in health and longevity. Denomination doesn't matter. Apparently, it's the connecting to something larger than yourself and the sense and support of community. It's the reason I currently attend and I do think it helps. I go home when I've reached a point of diminishing returns, because I think we sit too much. Also, the Word of Wisdom isn't about health.

I guess it comes down to moderation in all things.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 am

One of the cracks in my shelf happened probably 3 decades ago. I remember going to big ward dinners, put on by the "faithful" people in the ward...you know the ones: "Oh,..she is so spiritual!"...and "WOW,...what a man of GOD!".

And then I would look at what they were serving. Perhaps 4,000 calories or more, especially after they brought in the chocolate pie with cream. I remember looking at the plates of food--the meat dish was the main entree, and all of the vegetables and other things were there to decorate. But lets be clear here....carnivore was the way it was presented.

And I wondered. Hunh?....doesn't this kindof defeat the purpose? Isn't this kindof off target here?

And then I saw the people who ate the food...those spiritual people.

I can't speak to other churches, nor can I speak to the general LDS population; but I CAN speak to my experience in at least 3 different stakes in heartland TBM zone: LDS people (the ones I know) don't give a damn about health, and the WoW is ONLY about coffee and tea. The rest of it?...the sparingly part, and eating healthy and all that?....nada.

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:14 am

Lack of time, as pointed out already, is huge. But finances i think is an even bigger piece of the puzzle. Kids are expensive and we're told to pump them out early and often. Add on tithes and offerings, and we all know how stretched they makes the budget, which is small to start because they are syarting out. Healthy food (fresh fruits, veggies, ect) are more expensive than proceeded, low quality food and so the food budget goes farther. Kids learn poor eating habits, and the cycle continues. Gym memberships, running shoes, ect cost money and go to make way for kids "one activity" and streching the budget for jennys braces....
Their just isnt enough money in the average household to take care of two adults and five kids on the average household income.
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:36 am

No. Generally speaking, taking in more calories than you burn makes you fat.

You can find many examples of the faithful praising Jesus while burning those demonic fat deposits and they are glorious.

https://youtu.be/gSwzCa6HCt4

Although my favorite is Christoga!

https://youtu.be/PpcYPiE6A1s

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 am

I think obesity is a problem with all of modern society; It doesn't seem to only target the faithful.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am

A few things may contribute to fatness -
- alcohol,tea, coffee replaced with sugary drinks and treats
- busy church and family (church imposed) duties leave less time for anything personal like exercise
- the idea that this life is only a negligible stop on an eternal journey could help people justify unhealthy lifestyles
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:44 am

didyoumythme wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am
- the idea that this life is only a negligible stop on an eternal journey could help people justify unhealthy lifestyles

Interesting view. It goes along with the idea that is common in Christianity that you can do whatever they want to the world, Christ will come and fix it. Pollute, waste resources, etc. It doesn't matter. Be the biggest slob possible as long as you are a faithful slob and it will all work out.

I'm not trying to start a debate on the merits or lack there of with regard to global warming. I have my own options about it. However, whether you believe in global warming or not, it doesn't give you license to make a mess of things. You still have to manage what you have. *Insert the Parable of the Talents here.* Whether it is the temple outside or their temple of a body, many Christians just don't care about it because they are taught they don't have to. Why should they when someone will come in and clean it all up no matter what they do to it?

Isn't that what "east, drink, and be marry for tomorrow we die" is supposed to be fighting against?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:08 pm

A faithful lifestyle does not make you fat, on the contrary, being fat may be a sign that you aren't being faithful.

Ezekiel 16:49

"Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

Philippians 3:19

"Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things."

Proverbs 23: 20-21

"Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat (food in general), 21 for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

I find it odd that this principle of health is never mentioned in the LDS faith and have also noted that numerous "apostles" have been quite portly.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:07 pm

It only seems that way because Americans are fat, and Mormons (especially the ones you see) are overwhelmingly Americans.
Utah actually has a low obesity rate compared to the rest of the country.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 am
But let's be clear here....carnivore was the way it was presented.

And I wondered. Hunh?....doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose?
Not if the purpose was to have a sumptuous meal. It takes a lot of food to induce that burning of the bosom sensation. When that happens, ask your questions needed for religious confirmation and then take an antacid.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 pm

ulmite wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:07 pm
It only seems that way because Americans are fat, and Mormons (especially the ones you see) are overwhelmingly Americans.
Utah actually has a low obesity rate compared to the rest of the country.
Correct

It just kinda seems the obese utahns are Mormon.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:31 pm

- Bitter foods reduce your overall sweet tooth.
- Sugar functions similarly to alcohol in the body in some ways (my friends who drink alcohol and coffee do not eat many sweets)
- Wheat and grain based diets have more calories than most Americans need.
-Wearing garments prevents your largest sensory organ from experiencing the world. This numbness from an extra layer, IMO makes you less self aware physically. I lost 4lbs in the month after ditching my garments. I'd been at a plateau for a year. Spouseman just had surgery and he can't wear his for a week. He is suddenly much more self conscious of his extra weight.
- Refreshments at everything.
- Self reliance and feeding large families means storing food that is starchy and heavily processed.
- Closely spaced babies means hormonal stress for women.
- Men under tremendous pressure to earn lots of money and have no vices. Desk jobs. Sugar as fuel...

I believe Utah has gotten much fatter the last few years. Spouseman has observed this too.

I don't know that it's directly causal, but it seems like enough factors are there that it could have an impact?

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:58 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:31 pm
- Bitter foods reduce your overall sweet tooth.
I KNEW there was a reason why beer appeals to me!

:P

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 pm

Well...I can tell you this. Being in the church caused me to regularly stress eat.

I've lost 25 lbs since leaving.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 pm

I think being mormon allows you more excuses to be fat, but does to cause it. I spend many hours in outside activities. Those people I run into tend to not be mormon so much. Perhaps the church just takes to much time, so you have little to devote on yourself.

I know when I left I lost 50 pounds though a combination of diet and exercise. I guess I just had more time. One extra day a week to go for a bike ride was huge.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

redjay

Post by redjay » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:52 am

Over on exmormon reddit, redditors are posting selfies. I have noticed a few saying how they have lost weight since leaving the church. I accept that might be a skewed data set - who knows maybe there's as many exmos, who are depressed, and comfort eating, they are much less likely to post pics and posts of that.. However, personally I think swapping out soda for coffee would have a good effect on my waistline.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 am

One other thought:

Looking around your ward, how many of your ward members do you think could make the trek on foot back to Missouri if they had to leave in a week?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:17 am

Palerider wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 am
Looking around your ward, how many of your ward members do you think could make the trek on foot back to Missouri if they had to leave in a week?
The long promised/threatened "Trek Back to Missouri" has fallen into disuse and disfavor in LDS culture. However, I acknowledge your point noting that the few believers in the older generation that might have been inclined to Trek Back to the "Show Me State", are not in either shape or health to even walk to church on Sunday. Many of them could not be trusted to safely drive to Missouri, let alone survive the walk.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:13 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:17 am
Palerider wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 am
The long promised/threatened "Trek Back to Missouri" has fallen into disuse and disfavor in LDS culture. However, I acknowledge your point noting that the few believers in the older generation that might have been inclined to Trek Back to the "Show Me State", are not in either shape or health to even walk to church on Sunday. Many of them could not be trusted to safely drive to Missouri, let alone survive the walk.
Yeah, I was aware of the "Missouri trek" status but just because leadership wants to bury that bone out in the backyard doesn't mean I'm going to let them.

I like saying, "Hey, you guys cooked this stuff up and you've made us eat it for the last hundred years and now you want to do away with it because it's giving you a headache. Well, have a few more mouthfuls just as a reminder of where you've been....it's your prophecy, now live with it.....

George Washington