New Zealand PM elect - former LDS member who resigned over LGBTQI stance of Church

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
no1saint

New Zealand PM elect - former LDS member who resigned over LGBTQI stance of Church

Post by no1saint » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:16 am

I was in the same ward as her family when I was 3. Her parents were family friends and my mum used to babysit her sister. Small world in NZ. I love that we both resigned our memberships over the same issue. It's a little special considering how close our families once were. So close to being a victory for the Church having the first member head of government in the world. Alas, their hateful attitudes towards LGBTQI people has people like the New Zealand Prime Minister elect and myself leaving.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/new ... d=11789352

moksha

Re: New Zealand PM elect - former LDS member who resigned over LGBTQI stance of Church

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:15 am

Some people look at a Church and expect it to be all nice and stand for goodness and love. But what if the cosmic top guy didn't see things that way and wanted his flock to have a number of hatreds and to vocally express those hatreds in a pro-church fashion? It's like abandon all your lofty ideals ye who enter here.

We need to revitalize these errant members with a peppy song.

The sun is settin', c'mon get angry
The Lord is waitin' fer you to blow your top
Shout Hallelujah, c'mon get angry
We're goin' to the Donald Trump Land
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Re: New Zealand PM elect - former LDS member who resigned over LGBTQI stance of Church

Post by MoPag » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:12 am

Gina Colvin has been talking about her. She sounds wonderful! I'm so jealous! I want to move to New Zealand!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:33 pm

MoPag wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:12 am
Gina Colvin has been talking about her. She sounds wonderful! I'm so jealous! I want to move to New Zealand!
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kiwimormon ... ad-nation/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:20 pm

I read that today. She does sound wonderful. It makes me sad that the church is so blatantly blowing itself up from the inside. Don't get me wrong, I am frustrated about the lies and BS as much as anyone else.

Mormonism really does produce great people. It isn't because of truth or Gods blessings. There is a book called "The Triple Package" about how News, Mormons, Asians, and North African immigrants are making great people in America due to the traits the community instills.

I guess I am not confident that they couild make the changes they need to (eliminate and apologize for sexism, racism, patriarchy, elitism, polygamy, and literal truth doctrines). The wholesome living, family lifestyle, obtain as much education as possible, work ethic, sacrifice, service, and charity are all the real driver's for greatness among Mormons I think.

Anyway, have there ever been active Mormons at the head of any nation before?