Declining convert baptisms

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: Declining convert baptisms

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:47 pm
Some enterprising soul is already trying that with a movie project titled: Reign of Judges: Title of Liberty.
The proposed use of CGI in order to not be saddled with the incredible financial burden of the Romanesque armor worn by the Nephite combatants, as well of recreating the incredible pyramids and ziggurats in the studio, sounds ingenious. Who would even consider strapping a team of tapirs to those steel chariots without the aid of computer graphics?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Corsair wrote:
Some enterprising soul is already trying that with a movie project titled: Reign of Judges: Title of Liberty.

I wonder if they looked closely at the quotes they feature on their website. One says "I love fiction war movies." From Chaunce S., Kickstarter.

Oops...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

notforprophet

Post by notforprophet » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 am

Jeffret wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:14 pm

The church is far from any imminent collapse, but presumably they're concerned about the decline in numbers. If they're headed towards 170k, they'd end up with a 1.1% growth rate. Still growing, but definitely slowing. A few more years of that and they'd end up in negative growth, though they probably won't report that.
At some point they will be forced to stop giving an annual report, because it will only hurt the church. I'm 30 and hoping to not die soon, so I sincerely hope to see that day. They will, of course, spin it to be about giving more time in GC for spiritual matters, but only the ever-blind would swallow that.
God is either all powerful or all good.
I have yet to hear an explanation on how he can be both.
- Lex Luthor

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 pm
Corsair wrote:
I wonder if they looked closely at the quotes they feature on their website. One says "I love fiction war movies." From Chaunce S., Kickstarter.

Oops...
Good point. I may need to support this kickstarter. This is a stellar opportunity for an excitable Mormon to put the Book of Mormon back in front of a secular audience and reap the financial and artistic dumpster fire that is likely to ensue. It's like no one remembers that the 2003 attempt was as successful as a port-a-potty urinal cake at a Juggalo festival.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:39 am

notforprophet wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 am
Jeffret wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:14 pm

The church is far from any imminent collapse, but presumably they're concerned about the decline in numbers. If they're headed towards 170k, they'd end up with a 1.1% growth rate. Still growing, but definitely slowing. A few more years of that and they'd end up in negative growth, though they probably won't report that.
At some point they will be forced to stop giving an annual report, because it will only hurt the church. I'm 30 and hoping to not die soon, so I sincerely hope to see that day. They will, of course, spin it to be about giving more time in GC for spiritual matters, but only the ever-blind would swallow that.
When that happens, it would be a petty good guess that that is the time when growth is officially negative. Although you do wonder how much they are cooking the numbers with the current report.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:39 am
notforprophet wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 am
When that happens, it would be a petty good guess that that is the time when growth is officially negative. Although you do wonder how much they are cooking the numbers with the current report.
This is a critical point. We have not way to verify actual attendance and should not inherently trust the numbers the church provides. They could keep up reporting a slow trickle of growth for a very long time. The annoying thing is that sacrament meeting attendance is reported quite diligently by ward clerks in the quarterly report that all units are required to provide. The real data is out there but I do not foresee that it ever gets released.