Latest from FAIR

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
slavereeno

Re: Latest from FAIR

Post by slavereeno » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 pm

I had this conversation with my son about a year ago, where he was justifying all the details of the Star Wars franchise. He was making connections and rationalizations for things like how the force worked a certain way in one of the movies but didn't work that way in other movies. Stuff like that, to the end that the mistakes made in the movies had some nice tidy way of all working into the story in a cohesive way. I kept reminding him that its just a story that George Lucas came up with. He even uses phrases like "official canon" etc. He was just having fun being a Star Wars geek, its a bit of a fun puzzle and makes the movies more enjoyable for him.

Now a days when I read FAIR, it feels no different. They are just being Mormon Geeks. Finding obscure ways to make it all work because its a fun puzzle and makes church more enjoyable for them. I feel like saying "Dude, that's awesome you found a way to make it work, but you know its just a story that Joseph Smith came up with."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 am

slavereeno wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 pm
Finding obscure ways to make it all work because its a fun puzzle and makes church more enjoyable for them. I feel like saying "Dude, that's awesome you found a way to make it work, but you know its just a story that Joseph Smith came up with."
I have a friend who writes science fiction. She was working on a story involving a warp drive on a spaceship and asked me how they worked. I had to remind her that warp drives are fictional and don't work at all. Instead, she was the creator of that universe and could make any explanation work that fit the story she wanted to tell.

Joseph Smith made up the details to fit the story he wanted to tell. A lot of people since then have signed onto his fan fiction.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 am

slavereeno wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 pm
They are just being Mormon Geeks. Finding obscure ways to make it all work because its a fun puzzle and makes church more enjoyable for them.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."