The Romney two step....

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

The Romney two step....

Post by Palerider » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Today Mitt Romney (wants to run for Senate when Hatch retires) stated that Judge Roy Moore should withdraw from race for Alabama senate seat, because Moore has been ACCUSED of misconduct with a 14 year old girl when he was a 32 year old man.

Don't get me wrong...the behavior is entirely inappropriate if true and the chips should fall as they may.

But does anyone see the irony in Romney and his fellow Utahn legislators pointing the shame finger at this guy? I mean...what if God told Moore it was o.k? What if he was threatened by an angel with a flaming sword if he didn’t do it? It makes me proud to see Romney finally standing against such shenanigans....Wonder when he'll clean up his own backyard. :roll:

ETA: Just heard where Romney stated that " you're innocent until proven guilty is only for criminal convictions, not for elections."

In other words we can consider you guilty without evidence or proof if you're running for office and we can convict you and basically ruin your life at our pleasure.

I guess that would apply to religious leaders as well, don't you think?

"Oh no! In the very, very special and exceptional case of Joseph Smith we are obliged to give him the benefit of the doubt in all cases because he was SO HOLY don't you know..."
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Not Buying It

Re: The Romney two step....

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 pm

As I read of the alleged advances Roy Moore made against teenage girls while he was in his 30s, I immediately thought of Joseph Smith. As I watched Alabama Republicans' repugnant and stomach-turning attempts to rationalize that behavior, I immediately thought of FAIR and other apologists of that ilk who seek to defend Joseph Smith's indefensible behavior.

I can't stand Mitt Romney, but I have to admire that he hasn't tried to rationalize Roy Moore's behavior, if he is indeed guilty of that which he is accused (and the Washington Post makes a convincing case). But I agree, he should see the parallels with Jospeh Smith.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:54 pm

It's possible that he does see parallels, but can't let on.

I find it more likely that he's mastered doublethink, though, just like every other member of every fundamentalist religion, ever.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

shadow

Post by shadow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Yes. I do, in fact, see the irony.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2321

I am not at all surprised by those defending Moore. After all, we've all experienced way, way to many people trying to justify the actions of a grown man with a 14 year old girl or blaming the victim. (Temple Lot case, anyone? Disgusting characterizations of the women as having ulterior motives, about being unreliable for waiting so long to testify or report, etc.)

It good to see prominent mormon politicians condemning Moore's actions and believing his accusers but entirely frustrating that they can't seem to connect the very close dots to Joseph Smith.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry