Faith precedes the miracle

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: Faith precedes the miracle

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 pm

When the story of Abraham and Isaac rears its ugly head I feel compelled to post a reminder of the story of Rodney Lunberg, the seminary teacher who stabbed his infant son to death in an Abrahamic test of his faith: https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/01/28 ... 381042000/

Assuming the stories are true, what if neither Nephi nor Abraham had been so quick to get all stabby and choppy? If I were in their situation I would trust that God would respect me for sticking to my/his moral code and opting NOT to kill anyone for absolutely NO good reason.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:13 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:10 pm
This whole thread makes my bosom burn; seriously.
Hagoth wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 pm
I feel compelled to post a reminder of the story of Rodney Lunberg, the seminary teacher who stabbed his infant son to death in an Abrahamic test of his faith
This made me physically ill, I am sure mental illness had a lot to do with this, but it really validates my thought deconstruction and the real dangers in the literal blind faith I had been taught most of my life. This is extreme but not unrelated to some of the minor blind faith stuff we see all the time.

As I go along, taking things apart and actually thinking, I am coming up with an image of the nature of God that is quite different than what I have been taught in the Mormon faith for the past forty some odd years. I feel like I have just scratched the surface of this deconstruction though.. :(

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:02 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:04 pm
Sorry, but if accepting Joseph Smith's polygamy and polyandry (just to name one!) is a "Faith" test then I guess I fail, and the CK will be full of bobble headed "Yes" men and their harems and the TK will be full of people with actual moral reasoning of their own!
Indeed. And smoothies!

Here's a great principle your imaginary dad answer reminded me of, that I wish I could take credit for. Any reason anyone gives you that the LDS church should have your belief, faith, loyalty, etc., should be put to the JW Test: if Jehovah's Witnesses saying the same or similar things to their followers or each other would obtain their belief, faith, loyalty, etc., then take it with a big grain of salt, if not outright reject it.

Turns out that they really do say the same or similar things.

"Sure, the Governing Body has made mistakes. Maybe some have been big. But they're Jehovah's faithful slave, the only ones through whom Jehovah reveals his will. If you believe and obey them, Jehovah will make sure everything works out in the end."

"You shouldn't read material that doesn't come from Watchtower. They hold themselves to the highest standard of accuracy. Besides, would you go to the Nazis to learn about the Jews?"

"I don't know why there are dinosaur fossils. Maybe it's an Abrahamic test. You should have faith that it will all make sense at Judgment Day."

Any form of reasoning that keeps people locked into an obviously false religion must be suspect, and shouldn't be used to justify devotion to any religion.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 pm
When the story of Abraham and Isaac rears its ugly head I feel compelled to post a reminder of the story of Rodney Lunberg, the seminary teacher who stabbed his infant son to death in an Abrahamic test of his faith: https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/01/28 ... 381042000/

Assuming the stories are true, what if neither Nephi nor Abraham had been so quick to get all stabby and choppy? If I were in their situation I would trust that God would respect me for sticking to my/his moral code and opting NOT to kill anyone for absolutely NO good reason.
The Rodney Lundberg story is frightening. :cry:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:58 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:13 pm
I am sure mental illness had a lot to do with this...
Just to be on the safe side, we should probably assume mental illness whenever someone claims to get their marching orders from beings that others cannot see or hear, especially if they're telling them to kill someone.

I'm lookin' at you, Nephi.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."