Do over sacrament prayers..

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
20/20hind

Do over sacrament prayers..

Post by 20/20hind » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:41 am

The bishop made a kid in the ward who has down syndrome, say it 3 times today because of not getting it perfect. I felt so bad for that kid. This church is just ridiculous.

Reuben

Re: Do over sacrament prayers..

Post by Reuben » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:22 am

Yes. Yes, it is.

I've heard this policy was supposed to have changed recently. Anyone have details or rebuttal?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:20 am

I don't know, but my extremely learning disabled son had to do it five times.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:25 am

We had a guy finally get it right (or close enough) on his sixth try. It was painful to behold, but I suspect there have been even more tries and misses in the quest for the exact Sacrament Prayer wording. Remember, it is not the intent of the prayer that counts, but rather the undeviating word order combined with a white shirt and tie.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:16 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:25 am
We had a guy finally get it right (or close enough) on his sixth try. It was painful to behold, but I suspect there have been even more tries and misses in the quest for the exact Sacrament Prayer wording. Remember, it is not the intent of the prayer that counts, but rather the undeviating word order combined with a white shirt and tie.
Yes. Hair doesn't seem to matter. If his hair falls in his face while he's breaking the bread and he pauses for a moment to sweep his hair back with his hands and then goes right back to breaking bread, then that is fine.

Advocate of the man-bun, the man half-up-do and the man barettes during any and all food prep. Don't care how recommend worthy you are. There are health codes, people.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:49 am

I've sat through so many uncomfortable sac prayers! This public humiliation of youth seems to fall in line with the church's theme of "Stay on the path, be obedient to your leaders or you too will be shamed." I believe that the local leaders and their pretend priesthood power and misogynistic authority cause more emotional and mental damage that anything else in the church.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:44 am

What gets me the more I think about it is the idea of a god who will sit there tapping his foot refusing to grant his acceptance of an action because a nervous youth transposed a word or used a synonym. The idea that ordinances have to be performed exactly word for word is just such magical thinking, 'It's LeviOsa, not LevioSA. The spell won't work unless you say the incantation correctly!'
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:18 am

Hate to keep harping on this but this is the expected fruit that grows out of a legalistic and works based doctrine.....if you're looking for a little Grace in the LDS organization that's exactly what you're going to find....very little.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves."
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 am

20/20hind wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:41 am
The bishop made a kid in the ward who has down syndrome, say it 3 times today because of not getting it perfect. I felt so bad for that kid. This church is just ridiculous.
That is f@#%ed up!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 am

When I was a kid I asked about how come we mocked Catholics for their rote prayers but ours were ok? My dad did some fancy apologetics around "ordinances" being different but this post validates my view. Agree with Palerider and Dravin.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 am
When I was a kid I asked about how come we mocked Catholics for their rote prayers but ours were ok? My dad did some fancy apologetics around "ordinances" being different but this post validates my view. Agree with Palerider and Dravin.
We also mock Catholics for ordinance changes while at the same time making all sorts of changes to temple ordinances.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:08 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 pm
Anon70 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 am
We also mock Catholics for ordinance changes while at the same time making all sorts of changes to temple ordinances.
AND the temple is just one huge rote activity! Our most "revered" practice!
Last edited by Anon70 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:30 pm

I've thought about pulling a prank on the priests by substituting the card they read from with another card where two words are switched around.

Unfortunately I've stopped cleaning the church so I haven't had an opportunity to pull the switcheroo! :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm

20/20hind wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:41 am
This policy is leadership roulette. I was in a priesthood leadership meeting with a visiting Seventy where we were told to never have the priests redo the sacrament prayer more than twice. A few words off will not make the emblems of the sacrament become infernal. More importantly, by the third attempted recitation of the prayer, the congregation is no longer pondering the atonement of Jesus. No, they are instead praying any gods listening that the poor priest stops this colossally awkward situation and says the prayer correctly so the meeting can proceed. it was also emphasized that priests can and should be allowed to practice the prayer out loud in quorum meeting to help mitigate this situation.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:08 pm

I remember the best leadership meeting I ever attended some years ago, on this very topic. I was bishop, and the SP at the time was a good dude, I still respect him, but he was a stickler for the rules, a real control freak who was livid if you didn't insist on making sure the "ordinances were performed PERFECTLY." For some reason, I really didn't want to go to this meeting, I was just bummed about the whole thing, but I'm glad I went. The GA who came, was HILARIOUS. He told a story about a less active priest he knew finally came to church, and he got him to bless the sacrament. Unbeknownst to the GA, the dude was dyslexic. So he completely miffed the first try, and the second was even worse, so in the GA's mind, between the two versions somehow it came out alright, and they just moved on. I never laughed so hard in a meeting, much to the SP's chagrin. This GA told a couple of other stories about "getting a bunch of tightwad SP's to loosen their britches a little bit" and the poor SP looked like someone stole his lollipop. That meeting kept me going a couple of years, that at least some higher ups in the church weren't authoritarian douchecanoes.

So yes, this is entirely leadership roulette, and the heck with that insensitive bishop. I just pretended I didn't hear anything, especially if the priest was on the spectrum, and we had a couple. What am I going to do, MAKE them do it right? Bag that noise.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Brent

Post by Brent » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Magic misspoke is magic no more.
Last edited by Brent on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:00 am

Several years ago when I was a full believer I was attending the temple doing proxy sealings. The temple president was actually acting as sealer and we all had a lovely hour of performing ordinances. At the end, he asked if anyone had any questions. As a full believer at the time, I was looking for an insightful question and not something on the road to apostasy.

I asked the temple president, "What is the biggest challenge you face as temple president?" His answer fits the central challenge of this discussion thread. The temple president said that the biggest challenge was getting ordinance workers to use the exact, correct wording for each ordinace every single time. This president wanted exact precision in the words of each ordinance every time. He probably felt similarly when he was a bishop supervising a bunch of teenage priests going over the sacrament prayers.

One advantage of the temple is that it contains rooms for practicing the ordinances. They don't just call a new worker to the veil or initiatory and have them fumble through their first dozen proxy ordinances with that laminated card in hand. Memorization is supported well. I have not seen good training for brand new priests. We wrongly assume that anyone can read that card easily enough. But it has been my experience that this is unrealistic with a new, nervous priest facing a public microphone and an expectant ward.

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 am

When I was a priest, the bishop directed us in taking one priest quorum meeting and going around and having everyone practice the sacrament prayers a few times. Practice is good, but I'm not sure how helpful this really was.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")