Modest IS hottest

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
MerrieMiss

Modest IS hottest

Post by MerrieMiss » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Anon70

Re: Modest IS hottest

Post by Anon70 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Interesting article. I just wish we cared about women's fashion in the real world as much as we do about Men's. (which, for where I work and live, is like almost zero caring)...... I want to be the woman that just wears what fits and feels comfortable and isn't ugly. But, I come to work every day feeling insecure because so many women have a better wardrobe (and wallet) than I do.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:55 am

I'm not into the 17th century styles worn today trying to look normal. I do like modest wear for both men and women. Just because you can wear something doesn't mean you should. My wife and I used to frequently see an 80+ man walking along the beach in a Speedo. It was tight and you could see the full contour of his penis as he walked along. It was swimwear, but not really appropriate.
Was at a restaurant years ago and a woman was in skimpy attire. My daughter asked why her boobs were so big. Awkward.
~2bizE

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:07 am

What a fascinating article! Thank you for sharing MM.
This past spring, The New York Times’s chief fashion critic, Vanessa Friedman, declared modest fashion a defining trend of the 2010s, with brands as varied as Céline, with its enveloping, cocoon-like garments, Erdem, with its long-sleeved, high-collared Victoriana dresses, and Vetements, with its almost comically outsize getups, all promoting the look.
Wow-look at the wicked, horrible world and their "costly apparel." :lol:

This is really interesting though, and it really throws a wrench into all the modestly us vs. the world rhetoric we get at church. I can't wait to share this in RS!
As Friedman argued, in a vulnerable, volatile time — perhaps one particularly so for women — figure-obscuring clothing serves as a kind of armor, as well as a retort to a reality-TV-inured culture apparently intent on exposing any private moment, any intimate body part, for public consumption. Once we’ve seen it all — from Emily Ratajkowski’s fabulous breasts to Kim Kardashian’s monumental butt — it now seems as if the most radical gesture could only involve donning a baggy jumpsuit or a generously cut midi-skirt.
Armor and rebellion rolled into one. Love it!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound