A good Dan Peterson article.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

A good Dan Peterson article.

Post by deacon blues » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 am

As I'm rushing out the door to work I did want to recommend an insightful article by Dan Peterson in today's Deseret News. Gotta run, I'd like to discuss it later.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Re: A good Dan Peterson article.

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:15 am

Here's the article Deacon Blues is talking about: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... igion.html
Peterson makes some good observations but he overlooks one important aspect. Of course religions didn't invent the geocentric cosmos, it was the obvious conclusion of people who were ignorant of the actual nature of he cosmos, BUT it was the church who actually persecuted people taught heliocentrism. In fact, it wasn't until the 1990s that the Catholic church officially admitted that the earth goes around the sun. In fact, there is a new movement of both Catholics and Protestants who continue to insist on a geocentric universe that's what the Bible claims. What Peterson should be focusing on is not a supposed war between religion and science, but between fundamentalism and critical thinking.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:38 am

I enjoyed most of that article, and think Peterson makes some good points. Maybe I have a lingering anti-Peterson bias, but I still feel like he's trying to vilify his opponents by using terms like "anti-theists", and that last paragraph sounds like something strait out of an old FARMS article. But, he gives some great examples of anti-science atheists, and pro-science religious folk, which at the very least shows that individual anecdotes can't be used to represent a whole demographic.
I didn't know about Jonathan Edwards death! That was crazy! Also, I now want to read "Summer for the Gods"!
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:51 pm

I agree that the war between science and religion is largely non-existent. But it is not only hyped by the "New Atheists." It is also hyped by fundamentalist theists.

But what would Dan say about a religion that makes scientifically testable claims about the ancestry of native Americans, the flora and fauna in the Americas, and the technology used in native American cultures? Is there a war between science and Mormonism? I don't think there is just because science ignores Mormonism without any negative consequence. To the extent that TBM's contribute to American archaeology, they do by ignoring their religious beliefs in professional work.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:33 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:51 pm
But what would Dan say about a religion that makes scientifically testable claims about the ancestry of native Americans, the flora and fauna in the Americas, and the technology used in native American cultures?
I believe he would say that science supports the Book of Mormon but only a handful of people (mostly employed by BYU) understand the subtle nuances of it. Unfortunately, no matter how hard he tried, he would not be able to explain that evidence to a non-Mormon scientist in a way that they would find even remotely convincing.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 pm

I had to check out this oxymoron for myself, that Dan Peterson wrote a good article.

And it's true, he made some good points, but Hagoth nailed it:
Hagoth wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:15 am
Peterson makes some good observations but he overlooks one important aspect. Of course religions didn't invent the geocentric cosmos, it was the obvious conclusion of people who were ignorant of the actual nature of he cosmos, BUT it was the church who actually persecuted people taught heliocentrism. In fact, it wasn't until the 1990s that the Catholic church officially admitted that the earth goes around the sun. In fact, there is a new movement of both Catholics and Protestants who continue to insist on a geocentric universe that's what the Bible claims. What Peterson should be focusing on is not a supposed war between religion and science, but between fundamentalism and critical thinking.
And that is the fundamental debate happening RIGHT NOW in the LDS church - between the literalists (fundamentalists) and more progressive (critical thinking) members. Lots of collateral damage on both sides, I'm afraid. But I'm sure Bro. Peterson doesn't want to apply all of this to the actual church he's a member of. That would never do.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:41 am

I agree. Like so many church leaders and apologists before him Peterson does not want to offend the fundamentalists. :o This is why for years I got to listen to fundamentalists go off in Gospel Doctrine classes, and why my views, confirmed later by the essays, were dismissed in the same classes. It seems a tacit admission that fundamentalists have thin skins, but I could be wrong.......could they? Naaaawwww. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 pm

I don't know. I felt like he cherry picked a few straw men to slaughter for a point. I suppose that his overall concept of allowing data to win, rather than dogma, tradition, or politics is wonderful. Knowing who he is and how he "see's data" without objectivity makes me very suspicious of his intent and motives.

Wouldn't it be great if the powerful and prominent apologist Dan would finally allow data to speak truth rather than doing exactly what his opening quote describes with letting his "knowing" get in the way.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Fortunately, the Church did not ban the works of Copernicus and Galileo and did not wish to subject Galileo to the Inquisition and its gentle methods of extracting bones and confessions - at least not in some alternate reality. Yes, that same alternate reality in which tapirs pulled steel chariots. The alternate reality in which Dominican friar Giordano Bruno, mathematician, and astronomer, was not burnt at the stake by the Inquisition. You know, the alternate reality where the world began somewhere around 4000 BCE. The one where dinosaur bones were not "planted" by the adversary to deceive. The one where Charles Darwin is not continually mocked by religious literalists. The one where pro-Mormon message boards do not continually assert that the theory of evolution is merely a theory.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha