Church Sends Letter to Bill Reel re Mormon Discussions

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

Church Sends Letter to Bill Reel re Mormon Discussions

Post by consiglieri » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Bill Reel at Mormon Discussion Podcast has just received a letter from a paralegal named Megan McGrath with the "Correlation-Intellectual property" arm of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

It appears very much a form letter, and I am wondering if other webpages with the name "Mormon" in it have received similar letters.

Hello,

It has come to our attention that intellectual property managed by our office is being used in the on these websites. "Mormon" is a trademark owned by Intellectual Reserve, Inc., a non-profit corporation affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (the "Church").

We would like to have you add a disclaimer to your websites stating that you have no affiliation with the Church. Please add the disclaimer in a prominent location, in a legible size, font, and color. An example of disclaimer language is below.

"The products (services) offered by [name of User] are neither made, provided, approved nor endorsed by Intellectual Reserve, Inc., or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Any content or opinions expressed, implied or included in or with the goods (services) offered by [name of User] are solely those of [name of User] and not those of Intellectual Reserve, Inc., or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

We offer licensing options for Church owned materials, including "Mormon" and images. Permission may be requested at https://permissions.lds.org. If you would like more information about licensing, you may call (800) 453-3860 x 3959 or email permissions@ldschurch.org.

Any future use of the Church's intellectual property will likewise require written permission from this office, which can be requested at the above website.

Please respond to this letter by November 29, 2017, confirming your compliance.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for your help protecting Church-owned intellectual property.

Sincerely yours,

Megan McGrath
Paralegal
Correlation-Intellectual Property
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
50 E. North Temple Street, COB 13
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-0013
Office: (801)240-2399

My understanding is that the LDS Church applied for a trademark at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on the name "Mormon" in 2002 but it was rejected as being too generic.

The LDS Church abandoned the attempt to trademark the name "Mormon" in 2007.

If that is so, I wonder why church legal is claiming to have such a trademark.

(I bolded the relevant language in the letter.)

Red Ryder

Re: Church Sends Letter to Bill Reel re Mormon Discussions

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Silly Mormons think they own everything!

Mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon mormon
Last edited by Red Ryder on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 pm

All work and no play makes Mormon a dull boy!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Did Shades get the same notice for the mormondiscussions forum?

I wonder if we did for this forum?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:07 pm

I posted it there, as well.

We will have to wait and see.

I am aware the Church contested MormonMatch dating service's attempt to trademark the name in 2014, and that MormonMatch turned around and sued the Church.

I am not aware, however, if that case is resolved, or if so, what the result was.

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:19 pm

I am now hearing that IRI has a "service Mark" on the word "Mormon."

A "service Mark" is a trademark that applies to services as opposed to products.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:24 pm

consiglieri wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:50 pm
My understanding is that the LDS Church applied for a trademark at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on the name "Mormon" in 2002 but it was rejected as being too generic.

If that is so, I wonder why church legal is claiming to have such a trademark.
It seems the LDS Corporation DOES have a trademark for the word "Mormon".

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/u ... 6/23-1.pdf

EDIT: Or, it's a "Servicemark" as Consig has already found...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Stig

Post by Stig » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:52 pm

I would LOVE for the Church to make an attempt at showing "damages" from these uses of the term "Mormon" in the Internet-world. That would make for great theater.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Bill should just file for his own "Servicemark" or Trademark of "Mormon Discussions Podcast"

It seems that's a completely legal way to use the word "MORmON".
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Your can use trademarks it service marks in criticism, reviews and other fair use type ways. He could still be served with admca take down notice at the ISP. even when you're right, can you afford to be right in court? That's what it can come down to.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:24 pm

I'll be disappointed if we don't also get a letter. However, it might end up with Hagoth because he registered the domain name.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Gotta protect the brand!

I'll bet 3 Mormons doesn't get a letter.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Do you think they will ask FairMormon or the Mormon Historical Society to submit such a letter?

I imagine the lawyers at Kirton McConkie will take similar action on the use of ponderize.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:43 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:32 pm
Do you think they will ask FairMormon or the Mormon Historical Society to submit such a letter?

I imagine the lawyers at Kirton McConkie will take similar action on the use of ponderize.
How 'bout the "3 Mormons" YouTube geeks?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:44 am

All these posts have given me an idea; why not go into the heart of the beast, use the REAL name of the church, and rename Bill and Consiglieri's podcasts The Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Discussions and/or Radio Free Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints? Just rolls off the tongue.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

alas

Post by alas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:20 pm

He just needs to call it So Called Mormon Discussions.

Wonder how much of our tithing money went into paying for that ruling. They lost in court several times, so the only way I can see that they would win is greasing someone's palm.

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:38 pm

The answer is yes, other letters have gone out to lds related websites, even ones that have nothing to do with burning the place down.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:50 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:20 pm
He just needs to call it So Called Mormon Discussions.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of this awesome thing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qRGQ_MwhmK4
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:48 pm

consiglieri wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:50 pm
Hey, isn't that about the time they were telling people to stop using the word Mormon to describe the church and its members?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Corsair wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:24 pm
I'll be disappointed if we don't also get a letter. However, it might end up with Hagoth because he registered the domain name.
If so, I'll make sure you get a copy that's suitable for framing. Or throwing darts at, or whatever.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."