Liahona article about church history..

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
20/20hind

Liahona article about church history..

Post by 20/20hind » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:38 pm

https://www.lds.org/liahona/2017/02/und ... h?lang=eng

The seer stone portion really pisses me off.

wtfluff

Re: Liahona article about church history..

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm

#GasLightTheWorld
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Yeah, overall a crappy article. But there was one quote that did strike me as reasonable if taken out of context.
From our perspective today, we obviously know more than participants did about the outcome of the past, but we also know far less about their experience of living in it.
This just reminds me not to judge people who believed.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Some things come to mind:

1. Mitigate, mitigate, mitigate. We cannot go back in time and watch and hear what happened with our own eyes and ears, therefore we must give Joseph the benefit of the doubt.

2. Quote Joseph and the modern "scriptures" as proof texts of how we should view these problems, even though THEY are the issues in question. Is that circular reasoning or what?

3. "Present assumptions distort the past."
And that includes the assumption from which this article is written i.e. that Joseph Smith told the truth and was a prophet of God.
It never enters their mind that this assumption could possibly be wrong.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Facts don’t speak, but storytellers do
So let us dictate which story tellers you can believe and which ones you cannot. Facts can't spin themselves.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Palerider wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:13 pm
Some things come to mind:

1. Mitigate, mitigate, mitigate. We cannot go back in time and watch and hear what happened with our own eyes and ears, therefore we must give Joseph the benefit of the doubt.

2. Quote Joseph and the modern "scriptures" as proof texts of how we should view these problems, even though THEY are the issues in question. Is that circular reasoning or what?

3. "Present assumptions distort the past."
And that includes the assumption from which this article is written i.e. that Joseph Smith told the truth and was a prophet of God.
It never enters their mind that this assumption could possibly be wrong.
I may be wrong, but I think it does enter their minds. At least it does for some of them. I’ve been reading a book by a gay Christian who spent most of his life trying to deny his homosexual feelings. He could not deny he had them, but worked so hard to convince himself that they were from Satan, or they were a test, or that he was just a sinner, but that he could be miraculously cured, or overcome them through sheer willpower. The thoughts are there, but many fear admitting it, even to themselves. Right now I am convinced that Joseph Smith was a fraud. But I entertain thoughts that I could be wrong. Evidence (it would take a lot) could convince me I am wrong. But, the evidence is either not there, or God is withholding it for some difficult to understand reason. I doubt my convictions and I doubt my doubts. To do otherwise seems like being dishonest.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Lack of evidence is evidence. If I were on a jury in a murder trial and the prosecution couldn’t put the suspect at the scene of the crime that is evidence. When nobody can put swords, horses, wheat, cattle, or millions of Christian Hebrews in Ancient America, that’s evidence. When no experts can trace anything on the Papyri to the Book of Abraham, that’s evidence. I think a God of truth would expect followers to acknowledge that.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:22 pm

And another thing.......the lack of self doubt by apologists and TBM’s makes me more doubtful of what they say. It seems like fear rather than faith that makes them avoid contrary arguments. I’ve never heard an agnostic or a thoughtful theist say “don’t read those Mormon books or magazines.” And only extremely rarely have I heard them say or write, “we must keep those evangelicals or Mormons from polluting our young with their germs of faith.”

Whew.... maybe I’m done. It felt like I couldn’t restrain the spirit within me.
Last edited by deacon blues on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:24 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:33 pm
The thoughts are there, but many fear admitting it, even to themselves.
Probably a better way of saying it is that, "They can't or won't allow the possibility that their assumption could be wrong."

The critical term you used is "fear". It was an extremely difficult hurdle for me to face the possibility that the church might not be true...but the desire for truth eventually outweighed the fear and anxiety.

If in reality the truth sets us free, then what have we to fear?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:29 pm

One more thing: faith is engaging contrary evidence because one is confident one is right. Fear is avoiding contrary evidence, for obvious reasons.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Here's an article about hiding church history:
https://proveallthingsholdfasttogood.wo ... -history/
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Emower

Post by Emower » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:42 pm
Here's an article about hiding church history:
https://proveallthingsholdfasttogood.wo ... -history/
Interesting article. I am surprised poelmans talk is not listed.

Also interesting how prominently Dallin Oaks features into this article.

leonadude

Post by leonadude » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 pm

The Poelman talk is a good one. I'll have to add it. Thanks.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Understanding Church's stand on history:

1. Coverup
2. Revise
3. Insist coverup never happened
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha