Child Custody in the Celestial Kingdom

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Child Custody in the Celestial Kingdom

Post by moksha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:02 am

I was curious about Temple divorces in the case of couples that have children. Who gets custody in the great beyond? How would this affect celestial family home evening?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

SaidNobody

Re: Child Custody in the Celestial Kingdom

Post by SaidNobody » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:42 am

The concept of "eternal" sort of makes the idea of "Child" non-point.

But, accepting that a child belonging to two parents that make it to the CK, ideals of ownership do not survive that layer of consciousness. The oneness of glory, doesn't allow for someone to "own" another person. You can love whoever you want, and belong with who you want to, but no one "owns" you.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:46 pm

The whole concept of children belonging to a family eternally makes no sense to me whatsoever. I'm an adult now...over 50. My father is alive and VERY aged. But, I am close to several others out there who I love. Does my relationship with my father somehow mean I can't be in a close relationship with others to whom I am not a blood relative?

And, why is it essential to be in a family relationship in the next life when earthly life is, by definition, transitional?

I'll tell you what I really think: I think the idea of Celestial Family was a way for the early leaders to consolidate power and create their own "Kingdom". By appointing themselves as patriarch, then getting everyone sealed to them as either wife, child, or servant, they perpetuate their patriarchial status as being the head of the family.

Frankly, I think its disingenuous, especially when the church has the audacity to require members to marry (or be sealed) in the temple while excluding their blood relatives who don't subscribe to the religion.

I also cringe when I think of Brigham Young building his "kingdom", and stomping on the faces and feelings of everyone around him. He was a tyrant, and the homage paid to him as a "man of God" makes me want to puke!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Isn't the point moot if those children get married and have children of their own? It only takes one marriage or one additional generation to completely shatter the concept of an eternal nuclear family, even without divorce.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."