Bishop Youth interviews

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Bishop Youth interviews

Post by Palerider » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 pm

I've noticed that the church seems to be reacting to issues brought up on forums such as this one. If they issue a statement on a touchy subject, I think it means they're starting to get blowback from members. Hence this statement from the church regarding bishop interviews with the youth.

http://www.ldsliving.com/Church-Release ... dium=email

It seems to be an effort at clarification followed by retrenchment. With the exception of this minor but interesting addition:

"When a Church leader meets with a child, youth or woman, they are encouraged to ask a parent or another adult to be in an adjoining room, foyer or hall, and to avoid circumstances that may be misunderstood."

I don't remember this being advised in days past. Maybe if we keep complaining they'll actually have the parent in the room where they belong or, better yet, let the parent do their job of being a good mother or father and do away with the interview altogether.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Just This Guy

Re: Bishop Youth interviews

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Amazing! It's not every day you see someone attempt to address concern and completely miss the point of it all in the same sentence.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 pm

It was a policy in the past, at least in my understanding, for another member of the bishopric to be in an adjoining room while the bishop was in his office with the youth. I always thought this was ridiculous because there were white-noise speakers that were put up to muffle any chance of conversations being overheard. At least I seem to remember that being the case...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:48 pm

Yep, I remember this as well but it seemed that the counselor was only there for interviews with adult women and not all buildings were equipped with those speakers. I wonder how comforting it would seem to a woman having another man nearly within earshot of the conversation?

This entire concept of a man measuring another person's righteousness has no place in the Church of Christ.

I understand that most churches will weed out chronic offenders but I think this is different from establishing an early pattern of priesthood dependency and unrighteous authority.
Last edited by Palerider on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:31 am

Looks like Sam actually got their attention, at least!
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:23 pm

I sometimes wish I knew all the isssues when my children were young. I would love to tell the bishop under no circumstances can they grill my children on anything thathas to do with sex even if I am in the room. It simple is not their place to do so.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:23 pm

My Bishop didn’t ask me about masturbation until I was 16, but I’ve heard of kids as young as 12 being asked about it. It’s wrong.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:07 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:23 pm
My Bishop didn’t ask me about masturbation until I was 16, but I’ve heard of kids as young as 12 being asked about it. It’s wrong.
My bishop taught me what masturbation was when I was 12... :cry:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:01 pm

wtfluff wrote:
deacon blues wrote: My Bishop didn’t ask me about masturbation until I was 16, but I’ve heard of kids as young as 12 being asked about it. It’s wrong.
My bishop taught me what masturbation was when I was 12... :cry:
My bishop merely put a label to something I figured out how to naturally do in the womb!

Which begs the question: did spirits masturbate in the pre-existence? I don't recall the doctrine that clarifies this quandary. Does anyone know?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Was anyone taught,by their bishop, that masterbation and things about that level were sins next to murder?

When I was growing up, the horrible sins were associated with breaking the Word of Wisdom. Those coffee drinkers are GOING TO HELL!!!!!

alas

Post by alas » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:39 pm
Was anyone taught,by their bishop, that masterbation and things about that level were sins next to murder?

When I was growing up, the horrible sins were associated with breaking the Word of Wisdom. Those coffee drinkers are GOING TO HELL!!!!!
You must be about my age. I also grew up with a lot of emphasis on smoking, coffee, drugs, alcohol, drugs, drugs and more drugs. Coffee was right up there with heroin and cocain. It was way way over board.

In 1970 a survey was taken of BYU students and they were asked to "rate these sins in order of seriousness". On the list were things like murder, rape, embezzling, stealing, assault, Smoking, coffee.

So, the BYU students did get murder as the most serious, but next in seriousness were breaking the WOW. Then things like rape, assault came after drinking coffee. I think this survey was a wake up call that the church was teaching WOW too seriously, because they backed off and started the emphasis on sexual sin being next to murder.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:11 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:55 pm
Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:39 pm

You must be about my age. I also grew up with a lot of emphasis on smoking, coffee, drugs, alcohol, drugs, drugs and more drugs. Coffee was right up there with heroin and cocain. It was way way over board.

In 1970 a survey was taken of BYU students and they were asked to "rate these sins in order of seriousness". On the list were things like murder, rape, embezzling, stealing, assault, Smoking, coffee.

So, the BYU students did get murder as the most serious, but next in seriousness were breaking the WOW. Then things like rape, assault came after drinking coffee. I think this survey was a wake up call that the church was teaching WOW too seriously, because they backed off and started the emphasis on sexual sin being next to murder.
In the LDS.org site (at least last time I checked) they still have sections where sexual sins are next to murder.

I wonder how bishops deal with this: on one side you have tenderness that is NECESSARY, and on the other side, this crazy doctrinal basis for sex being next to murder if outside of marriage.

The culture is changing; they don't emphasis it like they use to, but this "next to murder" thing is still on the books. Its another one of those "just don't talk about it" things...

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:11 pm
The culture is changing; they don't emphasis it like they use to, but this "next to murder" thing is still on the books. Its another one of those "just don't talk about it" things...
Except perhaps when they indoctrinate our children. It's taught loud and clear in For the Strength of Youth:

https://www.lds.org/youth/for-the-stren ... ual-purity

Perhaps worse, it's distressingly unclear which "sexual sins" are next to murder in seriousness, leaving anxious youth to assume all of them are.

When I was a believer, I had jettisoned this doctrine as being too harsh and unsupported by the text of the Book of Mormon. It's only taught directly in the chapter heading of Alma 39. The text itself suggests that God is much more concerned with leading people away from repentance.

So... blame Bruce R. McConkie for perpetuating this particular harmful and putrid doctrine.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Reuben wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:20 pm
Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:11 pm
Except perhaps when they indoctrinate our children. It's taught loud and clear in For the Strength of Youth:

https://www.lds.org/youth/for-the-stren ... ual-purity

Perhaps worse, it's distressingly unclear which "sexual sins" are next to murder in seriousness, leaving anxious youth to assume all of them are.

When I was a believer, I had jettisoned this doctrine as being too harsh and unsupported by the text of the Book of Mormon. It's only taught directly in the chapter heading of Alma 39. The text itself suggests that God is much more concerned with leading people away from repentance.

So... blame Bruce R. McConkie for perpetuating this particular harmful and putrid doctrine.
I blame BRM for a LOT of things. Being a bully is one of the big ones.