The lie of unity at the top levels

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

The lie of unity at the top levels

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:36 pm

I was out on mormonleaks and saw this article by BRM in 1981, where he talked about the race and priesthood decision. This jumped out:
In his prayer President Kimball asked that all of us might be cleansed and made free from
sin so that we might receive the Lord’s word. He counseled freely and fully with the
Lord, was given utterance by the power of the Spirit, and what he said was inspired from
on high. It was one of those rare and seldom-experienced times when the disciples of the
Lord are perfectly united
, when every heart beats as one, and when the same Spirit burns
in every bosom.
I wonder if BRM understood the destruction he was making with regards to the teaching (outright lie) of the unity that prevails at the higher levels. In fact, I don't think they are EVER really unified.

Thoughts?

Hagoth

Re: The lie of unity at the top levels

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 pm

Didn't they wait until one of the hard-liners was out of town and one was in the hospital to ensure this "unity?"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Emower

Post by Emower » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 pm
Didn't they wait until one of the hard-liners was out of town and one was in the hospital to ensure this "unity?"
Yes, Mark E Peterson and another guy, Delbert Stapley maybe?

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 am

Most Mormons, I'm guessing, have never been in a executive board meeting or a CIO meeting. I'm talking work, it religion. There are many views and ideas. Difference are valued, and lead to innovation.
The mormon CIO leadership team, aka Q15, is probably no different. They all have their own views, and hills they will fight and die on. I'm pretty sure Oaks dies on the homosexual hill. Darth Bednar fights and dies on the exact obedience dogma hill. They all have their hills to defend...
~2bizE

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 am
Most Mormons, I'm guessing, have never been in a executive board meeting or a CIO meeting. I'm talking work, it religion. There are many views and ideas. Difference are valued, and lead to innovation.
The mormon CIO leadership team, aka Q15, is probably no different.
I was coming here to say this.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:49 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 am
The mormon CIO leadership team, aka Q15, is probably no different. They all have their own views, and hills they will fight and die on. I'm pretty sure Oaks dies on the homosexual hill. Darth Bednar fights and dies on the exact obedience dogma hill. They all have their hills to defend...
If this the case (and I believe you here), there is a careful facade about "unity" that is told to the general membership. For example, in my TBM days, I was always led to believe that these guys would pray, and as the HG moved across the group, there was instant unity and unanimity in the decisions. Why?...because the church is lead by Jesus Christ, and all these men are just underlings.

And, this quote from BRM above blows that idea to H#LL.

The corporate model is MUCH more reality, which blows the idea that Jesus Christ is at the helm as well.

PS. Oh wow....addendum. It just occured to me that 1978 was like how many decades since any former revelations happened? And BRM is staying that this 1978 deal was a "rare" occasion? What an indictment. Duh BRM...you just said there ain't no revelation dude. You kindof painted yourself into a corner mate. Wish you were still around and could read posts like are on NOM. Maybe you can from your resurrected "exalted" vantage point in the highest degree of heaven where you and your gazillion wives can bask in your know-it-all position....

alas

Post by alas » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:15 pm

The only way they are united is by refusing to ever admit to error. When the 14 fundamental talk was given, all correction was kept out of sight of the public. Rather than criticize BRM, for the errors in Mormon Doctrine, they let the book stand, when they KNEW it taught false doctrine. Better let false doctrine stand than suggest that any one of them might be human and capable of being wrong.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Emower wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:04 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Was this when Harold B. Lee was absent and Hugh B. Brown wanted the Church to rid themselves of this racial apartheid policy in 1969? Think when Harold B. Lee returned, they decided to continue with this discriminatory policy. Hugh B. Brown almost had them turned from the dark side of the Mormon force, but could not match the raw ferocity of the Sith Lord.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:59 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:29 pm
Emower wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:04 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Was this when Harold B. Lee was absent and Hugh B. Brown wanted the Church to rid themselves of this racial apartheid policy in 1969? Think when Harold B. Lee returned, they decided to continue with this discriminatory policy. Hugh B. Brown almost had them turned from the dark side of the Mormon force, but could not match the raw ferocity of the Sith Lord.
If I recall from Greg Prince's book, the hardliners were Harold B. Lee, Mark E. Peterson, Ezra Taft Benson, and I think this Stapley guy. Hugh B. Brown was strongly in favor of ending the discrimination policy, but when President Mckay passed, he was demoted out of the FP. According to Prince, this was like being slapped in the face. And from that point forward, he was "handled" accordingly.

The idea of unity is total BS. These guys make alliances and play politics like the best of them. Hunh?...I wonder why Jesus Christ just doesn't direct them to do what is right? Good question. I wonder if one of the COB Snitches reading this could answer that for me....

hint hint out there?.....

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:02 am

My understanding of the Quorum's unity in this sense is that they fight like cats and dogs during the decision-making process and then show a united wall of support for whatever decision the majority finally agreed to adopt. I think this show of unity is probably at the top of their unwritten bylaws list. They probably point out that the appearance of unity equals the appearance of strength and that strength will give them sustained obedience and power. After that point it made, they might chant the mantra: The tithing must flow and perhaps worry about the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood.

When deliberations are not occurring there is probably a good deal of Quorum politics and machinations going on.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:31 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:02 am
...they might chant the mantra: The tithing must flow and perhaps worry about the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood.
tithing...like spice,...must flow!!!
moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:02 am
When deliberations are not occurring there is probably a good deal of Quorum politics and machinations going on.
From what I've read, just in Prince's biography of David O. McKay, there is a LOT of this crap going on. It part of the "lie"....