New First Presidency

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

New First Presidency

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 am

OK....
I have a friend in the Mo-Tab. The chatter over there is the FP will end up being Nelson, Oaks, Bednar.

If that happens....HEAVEN HELP US!

The chatter is also that next week after the funeral is over, they will re-org. So, it will happen pretty fast, if his info is accurate.

mooseman

Re: New First Presidency

Post by mooseman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Looking over the history of the first presidency and how often 100% changes happen....i dont think its likely.
If counselors do change, im guessing one-the fox out, bednar in.
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Actually, I think this sounds like a pretty good FP. There's nothing that will hasten the irrelevancy of the authoritarian, hardline conservative side of the church (which come to think of it, IS the church) than to have these guys in charge. The doubling down of Mormon nonsense will only increase, and the departure of any critical thinkers, progressive types and people who are sick of the obedience rhetoric will be sped up. Going to church and poking the bear will be even more enjoyable than it is now. Can't wait!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Does it really matter?

What's the difference between Oaks or Bednar giving a talk as a member of the FP and giving a talk as a member of the Q12? Conducting conference?

Mormon leadership reorganizations seem inconsequential.

Help me out? Is it the tone from the top? As disaffected members why do we care who is running the show?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 am
OK....
I have a friend in the Mo-Tab. The chatter over there is the FP will end up being Nelson, Oaks, Bednar.

The chatter is also that next week after the funeral is over, they will re-org. So, it will happen pretty fast, if his info is accurate.

As an aside, not to derail...I've often wondered if there were any NOM types hiding out in the MoTab that just like the music and keep their temple recommends current for that reason. Does your friend know of your disaffection?

Being in the 1st Pres. would totally inflate Bednar's opinion of himself. Not sure they could squeeze his head into the conference center. Oaks would be rubbing his hands together and drooling at the opportunities for power. I know we shouldn't judge people by their looks but Nelson just looks plain evil to me. How is that possible for a man of medicine to look that way? I'm sure he's done some very good deeds in his lifetime.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm
Does it really matter?

What's the difference between Oaks or Bednar giving a talk as a member of the FP and giving a talk as a member of the Q12? Conducting conference?

Help me out? Is it the tone from the top? As disaffected members why do we care who is running the show?
Oh, I think it matters a great deal, who is in the FP, as who is the President of the Q12. I think the really weird steps that the church has taken in the last few years are because of the different people in charge, and their different viewpoints, given the Monson leadership vacuum. Again, just speculation, but isn't the more openness in the church essays due to the more intellectual Utchdorf/Eyering/Holland faction? And the November policy clearly was backed by the hardliners like Oaks and brought to the level of revelation by Nelson? If I'm not mistaken, Utchdorf also was the frontman for the Utah anti-discrimination acts, while Oaks has been front and centre on the religious freedom crap. So I do think it matters, not the least adding to the schizophrenia of Mormon leadership.

That's why the unholy triumvirate of authoritarianism, the NelBednarOaks Hydra, will be most welcome. Again, the missteps and punchlines are just writing themselves. However, I'm with mooseman on this one. Seldom does an FP change, so I suspect Nelson will keep the status quo, unless he has zero you-know-what's to give at this point in his life. And at 93, why would you?
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 am
OK....

Why would the choir know anything about any of this? If Nelson brings Bednar on board, then he's got to keep Uchtdorf. That line-up with Oaks is too unbalanced.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm

I would bet money nothing changes. Precident is to keep counselors intact. I am sure that will hold.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm

I would be very surprised if Eyring was demoted. He has been serving a very important role of authoritatively convincing Mormons that they are the witnesses of all kinds of miracles in the church that anyone less enthralled would recognize as vapor and failures.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:27 pm

The First Presidency can set new policy directions. For instance, a Nelson-Oaks-Bednar combination might decide to crack down on all sorts of things. Say for instance they felt the spirit telling them to require an Oath of Obedience to Church Authorities, they could make it so. Or they could make a suggestion in General Conference that those passing the Sacrament should not wear white socks; the local leadership would take it upon themselves to make sure this white sock ban was rigorously enforced. They might recommend to the legislature the lowering of the legally impaired alcohol level to .0001% thereby putting those Satan-serving NyQuil Cough Syrup people out of business. Giving up most French cooking, your grandma's Christmas cake, and beer batter onion rings seems a small price to pay for eternal exaltation.

But think about it, would it be so bad if they told the legislature to raise the legal age for drinking coffee within the Utah borders and airspace to somewhere between 21 to 65?

I imagine the traditional Christian message frequently espoused by Dieter Uchtdorf has been a thorn in the side to the harsher gospel of the dark-force Brethren in the Quorum. They would probably lobby for a counselor who will do their bidding and who was young enough to wield a lightsaber quad effectively.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm

oliver_denom wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:32 pm
If Nelson brings Bednar on board, then he's got to keep Uchtdorf. That line-up with Oaks is too unbalanced.
Sounds like the Disney short film where Pluto had a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other shoulder giving contradictory advice. Would Nelson seek to brush Uchtdorf off his shoulder?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Yeah, I've got to agree. I'd LOVE to get my hopes up, and have someone in the "new" FP shake things up enough so that even one of the believers in my family would wake up to reality, but every time I get my hopes up for the Corporation actually doing something right, my hopes get dashed.

Look at all the kooky stuff Benson said before he became Corporate Sole, and once the title was bestowed, it was business as usual.

No matter who they put in, the rhetoric will still be Pay, Pray, Obey, with the first word in that trio being the most important. The same old correlated, mind-numbing, boring, useless pablum will prevail.

So let it be typed, so let it be done...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 pm

I’m still going with Elders Bednar and Rasband as counselors. We will see to what extent I have the gift of prophecy. I’m betting at least as much as President Nelson.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 pm

My Mo-Tab friend knows I'm disaffected. He is somewhat plugged in, but this is all speculation as you can imagine.

We do know historically that Elder Hugh B. Brown was ousted from a FP over political things--so the precedent exists for changing one counselor. Don't know about changing both--but who knows.

Most of you here think there is a possibility of no changes, or perhaps Bednar getting in there. WOW,...can you imagine if Bednar did get in there?...what a ride that would be!

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 pm
We do know historically that Elder Hugh B. Brown was ousted from a FP over political things--so the precedent exists for changing one counselor. Don't know about changing both--but who knows.

Most of you here think there is a possibility of no changes, or perhaps Bednar getting in there. WOW,...can you imagine if Bednar did get in there?...what a ride that would be!
If Uchtdorf is dropped for Bednar, then it will be a strong message toward the church as far as direction.

Uchtdorf was always Monson's man. Monson had an affinity with Germany and is probably the only one who would have given Uchtdorf a second glance.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:25 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Does it really matter?

Members of the FP give two talks per GC, since they all speak in the PH session as well as the general sessions (if able). So more opportunities for BS from Bednar and Oaks if they move to the FP. They also get the "president" title which some TBMs may perceive as higher than "elder". Consequential? If it happens we'll see.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 am

oliver_denom wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 am
Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 pm

If Uchtdorf is dropped for Bednar, then it will be a strong message toward the church as far as direction.

Uchtdorf was always Monson's man. Monson had an affinity with Germany and is probably the only one who would have given Uchtdorf a second glance.
I remember reading in Prince's DOM book about it being a big deal if the president changes councilors in the FP. It is non-traditional and so it does send a message when it happens.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 am

Looks like we are going to find out on Tuesday:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... l?user=app

Damn, I'm going to be in class. :(
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Does it really matter?

Members of the FP give more than one talk talks during conferences. I don't know if this was more because TSM was infirm but if you look at recent conferences one counselor in the FP gave three talks, the other counselor gave two talks. The counselors took turns for which one gave three and which one gave two.

Bednar actually makes sense to me. The guy is eventually going to be president of the church. You'd think they want to get him closer to the sitting president so he can learn what the job entails before he inevitably inherits the job.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:22 pm

nibbler wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:25 pm
Bednar actually makes sense to me. The guy is eventually going to be president of the church. You'd think they want to get him closer to the sitting president so he can learn what the job entails before he inevitably inherits the job.
Mr. Bednar is already world-class when it comes to gaslighting and lying, what else does the "president" actually do
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...