Why do Mormons give Trump the highest approval rating?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Why do Mormons give Trump the highest approval rating?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:46 pm

NOTE: This is not intended to be a political discussion, so please let's not let it wander off topic. I'm just trying to figure out what it is about Mormons that would explain this. It must be fundamentally doctrinal, which is why I posted here.

Polls show that Mormons approve of Trump at a higher rate than any other religious group: http://news.gallup.com/poll/225380/tru ... slims.aspx

I find it fascinating that there was such an outcry from LDS people about Trump's sexist and racist talk and behavior during his campaign and first year of his presidency, but somehow that's all been forgotten that and now he's AOK with most Mormons. Mormons also gave Obama the lowest rating of any religious group.

It doesn't surprise me that Mormons give high approval ratings for Republicans and low ratings for Democrats but I am having a hard time understanding this specific spread in anything other than racist terms. You would think that Bill Clinton, having been caught red handed "not having sexual rations with that woman" would strike a deeper chord for Mormons, but there was nothing like that in Obama's presidency. Just the opposite. He was a paragon of virtue compared to our current p***y-grabbing president.

Please help me understand this weird corner of Mormon thinking.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

mooseman

Re: Why do Mormons give Trump the highest approval rating?

Post by mooseman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Few things.
1, you dont speak bad about your leaders, even if its true. Obama, Clinton, et al arent "their" leaders but as card carrying republicans, Trump is.

2. Trump drives liberals crazy. Since Mormonism is a white patriarchy, most of what he does doesnt affect the average member so far, so they dint see the harm. The fact people who have been "after" them about civil rights, marriage equality ect are having a fit makes the tbm smile--kind if like finding out the jerk at the gym got fired. Its not christlike, but you feel it serves them right.

3.rural utah mormons love hes giving them "back their land" instead of piling on more regulations. Most see the state as superior to the nation, so letting utah do its thing , no matter how stupid, makes them feel trump.cares for them.

What bothered them about Clinton (at least my dad) was that it was ORAL sex, which prophets had declared as immoral and evil. That put it right up there with anal sex which only homos do, and abortion and thus a mockery of sacred procreation powers.
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Because he pushes a conservative agenda and Mormons tend to be conservative.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Mormons are more homogeneous than most of the other groups in the survey, which might partly explain it. However 61% just makes me sick. Who are these people? My medium conservative, mostly TBM wife does NOT like Trump at all. Mooseman (above) has it pegged.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:06 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:33 pm
Because he pushes a conservative agenda and Mormons tend to be conservative.
I think it really is as simple as this. Conservative / Republican. They' can't fathom supporting anything else, just like they can't fathom that "the church" might not be true. "That's just the way it is, it's always been that way... No reason to think for ones's self."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 pm

I would like to see a similar pole about viewers of Fox News and NPR by religious affiliation and see if there is as strong a correlation.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Further down in the study:

White, non-Hispanic Protestants (70% of all Protestants): 60% approval rating
White Catholics: 51% approval rating

Maybe the study is just showing that Mormons are more white than most religions
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm not sure I can respond to this without it being somewhat political.
By way of explanation, I was really repulsed by Trump in the primaries. What a gutter fighter and poorly spoken individual. There is nothing statesmanlike about Trump.

But after the election, it seems that he's actually DOING a lot of the things that conservatives would like to see accomplished and he's calling out many of the RHINOs like McCain, Flake and Romney who don't care for Trump's "junkyard dog" style but they themselves were quite statemanlike in their ability to water down conservative values and sidestep the really hard decisions. Essentially they were/are gutless wonders who allowed themselves to be guilt tripped by extreme leftists. They spoke eloquently and weaseled like cowards.

As for Mormons, I think they have been pleasantly surprised by Trump's agenda at the same time as they are chagrined and embarrassed at his style. But hey! The guy is actually DOING something. And I think that means a great deal to Mormons. Especially after years and years of watching church leaders who act much more like the Flakes and Romneys. They're great tap dancers.

After the savage beating the Romneys and their church cronies gave Trump in Utah, I actually see it as a defiant act by the general membership to go against their idolized movers,shakers and "never Trumpers" in the Mormon community by approving of Trump. To me that's a show of independent thinking. Mormons are actually responding positively to a results based situation instead of having to swallow camels while straining at gnats. They're telling the high and mighties to take a hike. .

Imagine that! A leader who actually does what he says he's going to do.

The man is no Abraham Lincoln...far from it. But whether one hates or loves Trump policies, no one can say he isn't getting it done.

If conservative Republicans had done their job and had a spine, a man like Trump would not have been elected.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Serious question: what is he doing that's so great (in the eyes of your average conservative)?
– Anais Nin

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Obamacare could have been repealed and replaced with something more efficient, less intrusive, and fiscally responsible except for recalcitrant Republicans. Thus Trump is having to dismantle some of the more agregious parts piecemeal. But he's getting it done.

Conservatives believe the new tax law will get the government's hands out of our pockets so deeply.

Reduction of regulation is encouraging investment in the stockmarket. I think conservatives are enjoying seeing the market take off.

Money that has been financially "stored" by American companies in foreign countries is coming back to the US to help the economy.

Illegal immigration is finally being seriously addressed.

Government overreach in land use regulations is being reduced. (Utahn's love that.)

There's more. But then....this wasn't supposed to be a political thread. ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Brent

Post by Brent » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Because they are imprinted to respect old, out of touch white guys.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm

Some of them voted for him solely over the issue of abortion. I know several members who did. They have had to deal with the cognitive dissonance of having voted for such a reprehensible human being - which they resolved by deciding he’s really not that reprehensible.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:31 pm

I do not understand it. I live in a small, conservative town and the overt racism that's come out of the woodwork is horrifying. Several of my clients have had a parent deported. One is testifying against an abuser, there's a rift in the family because she blew the whistle, and the angry relatives called INS on her father for revenge.

That my LDS family who are good people voted for this is beyond me. They put their theory about what it would do for their pocketbook ahead of what it did TO women, minorities, and the poor.

My TBM husband feels its wrong and didn't vote for him, but as to the outcome just shrugs, "I can't change it so won't worry about it. " After all, it doesn't affect him. Its been an issue in our marriage as its extremely personal to me.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:28 am

Blood is thicker than water and politics is thicker than religion. Utah is a place where Trump's approval rating has increased since the election.

How about this as another platitude: Mormons care not about the arts, sciences, and philosophies of men; they are interested in the business ledgers. Even though Trump is the loose cannon President he is still the devil that they know and can transact business with, such as the give away of public land in the reduction of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Mormons have pushed for local ownership of federal land for many decades and Trump delivered it to them.

Now that Trump will be able to commence the dissolution of United States, the Kingdom of Deseret can once again take its place as the rightful theocracy of the Great Basin. The Salt Lake Temple can fulfill the purpose of a majestic castle. Perhaps South Temple can be converted into a decorative moat and stocked with City Creek trout. Definitely, the red chairs on the front row of the dais in the Conference Center will need to be recovered in purple velvet.

Hope this was on-track per Hagoth's request.

Wonder if some of those mission field countries will object to Trump calling them s***holes?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 pm

I don't get how people say Trump is a racist. Just because of his numerous remarks over the last four decades? I mean, he might have referred to some countries whose residents have a bit darker skin as s***holes, but would anyone call that racist who worked at the Church Office Building?

He also publically wished out loud that all our immigrants could come from Norway and be like the little Norwegian children, but that is only because Trump loves the little Norwegian children for their pure and delightsome skin color. How could people dare say that was racist? Did anybody make that charge against that guy from WWII who flew all the way from Berlin to visit Norway and made an identical remark about the little Norwegian children?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:13 am

So Trump has been getting hammered about his S. Africa comment this past week. I heard an interview with him this morning:
Trump - "I'm not a racists. I'm the least racists person you will ever interview."
WTF!?

Kind of sounds like apologetics. Or, I guess if it was apologetics, it would be more like "How can anyone even know I'm racists?"
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 am

nibbler wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:02 pm
Further down in the study:

White, non-Hispanic Protestants (70% of all Protestants): 60% approval rating
White Catholics: 51% approval rating

Maybe the study is just showing that Mormons are more white than most religions
I was going to bring this up as well, but with a different conclusion. Mormons are at 61%, and ALL White - non-Hispanic Protestants are at 60%. This includes both mainline AND evangelical protestants. I am 100% certain that if this broke out evangelical protestants they would be significantly more pro-trump than mormons. Also, 61% approval for a republican president is very low for mormons, typically that number is around 80%. So mormons are ~20% lower in approval for Trump than they would be for another republican. If Pence ever dethrones Trump I imagine those numbers would go right back up. This shows that mormons really do have an issue with him doctrinally.

As to why it is as high as 61%? Based on Palerider's post I am pretty sure we differ politically, but his analysis is spot on. When Trump was running he was a morally bankrupt wildcard outsider. He has governed as a morally bankrupt conservative outsider. Mormons generally LOVE the conservative part, and they like the outsider part. But they still have to deal with the morally bankrupt part. So you get pretty high approval, but not as high as an average republican leader.

It's more complicated than that, but I think those are the biggest drivers in a mormon's view of Trump.

I understand we were supposed to answer doctrinally, but this situation is almost entirely political.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks for the input. :)
– Anais Nin

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 pm

My independent but Republican-ish (very "ish") leaning wife basically said the same thing as Palerider.

TBM Reuben of yesteryear (who still occupies a very small space in my head) points to a scripture in Ether about a king who "did justice unto the people, but not unto himself because of his many whoredoms."
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 pm
I'm not sure I can respond to this without it being somewhat political.
By way of explanation, I was really repulsed by Trump in the primaries. What a gutter fighter and poorly spoken individual. There is nothing statesmanlike about Trump.

But after the election, it seems that he's actually DOING a lot of the things that conservatives would like to see accomplished and he's calling out many of the RHINOs like McCain, Flake and Romney who don't care for Trump's "junkyard dog" style but they themselves were quite statemanlike in their ability to water down conservative values and sidestep the really hard decisions. Essentially they were/are gutless wonders who allowed themselves to be guilt tripped by extreme leftists. They spoke eloquently and weaseled like cowards.

As for Mormons, I think they have been pleasantly surprised by Trump's agenda at the same time as they are chagrined and embarrassed at his style. But hey! The guy is actually DOING something. And I think that means a great deal to Mormons. Especially after years and years of watching church leaders who act much more like the Flakes and Romneys. They're great tap dancers.

After the savage beating the Romneys and their church cronies gave Trump in Utah, I actually see it as a defiant act by the general membership to go against their idolized movers,shakers and "never Trumpers" in the Mormon community by approving of Trump. To me that's a show of independent thinking. Mormons are actually responding positively to a results based situation instead of having to swallow camels while straining at gnats. They're telling the high and mighties to take a hike. .

Imagine that! A leader who actually does what he says he's going to do.

The man is no Abraham Lincoln...far from it. But whether one hates or loves Trump policies, no one can say he isn't getting it done.

If conservative Republicans had done their job and had a spine, a man like Trump would not have been elected.
Exactly. People hate Trump but he is probably the most genuine president we have had. What you see is what you get. You may hate it but he is not hiding his agenda.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison