Questions from the NY Times Obituary

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Questions from the NY Times Obituary

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:03 pm

I was reading an intriguing thread on the Mormon D&D board when I ran across these questions which arose out of the Mormon response to the Thomas Monson obituary:
1. Do you think that having the church be instrumental in the passing Prop 8 was a big achievement of President Monson's presidency?

2. Do you think fending off those women who wanted to hold the priesthood a big achievement of President Monson's presidency?
Seems to me that both of these actions created friction among those who would otherwise have defended Mormons as underdogs. Hard to defend the actions of persecutors preventing others from obtaining equal status.

However, a related group called FAIRMormon has gone Full Trump on this issue by calling it fake news and the product of East Coast elitism. The Times says they were following the exact same formula as other obituaries of the famous when they mentioned the major news events that these celebrities may have played a part in rather than giving a eulogy like the Deseret News. Just the sort of thing those leftist East Coaster establishment types would say when denigrating the best people in the known galaxy such as Donald Trump, who by the way does not kneel during the national anthem and has very large hands and you know what. #BADNYTimes
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Re: Questions from the NY Times Obituary

Post by deacon blues » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Inside the church Pres. Monson isn't seen as a force for LGBT rights or Women's rights, but outside the church, many probably perceive him that was.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 pm
Inside the church Pres. Monson isn't seen as a force for LGBT rights or Women's rights, but outside the church, many probably perceive him that was.
I never had the impression that President Monson spearheaded Proposition 8 or was a driving force behind the continuing Mormon war against gays. He didn't strike me as one who was driven by any sort of burning anger in his being. If I am right, it is unfair to pin that all on President Monson. It was probably the senior members of the Quorum who are the generals behind this war. Good thing they never rolled out the dread Mormons of Mass Destruction, even if the Elders from the Bountiful 5th Ward were promised 72 celestial wives in paradise.

It was a bit different for the Ruling Fifteen in their stance against women holding the priesthood. President Monson and the Brethren did not hold any white-hot animosity towards women. I think was more a case of not wanting any girls in their treehouse.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 am

I think you're right, Moksha. The NYT obituary might have been more accurate if it said something like, "Thomas S. Monson was more or less missing in action during a very important period of Mormon history. He sat back impassionately while the executive committee of his church waged a war against LGBT rights, and he looked the other way while a garbage truck was parked at the entrance his church's Conference Center to block women from attending a meeting over which he was presiding. He was, however, fully and enthusiastically engaged in the grand opening of the new multi-billion-dollar shopping mall just across the street."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 am
He was, however, fully and enthusiastically engaged in the grand opening of the new multi-billion-dollar shopping mall just across the street."
Ah, the good old days.
-- Moksha