Church Influenced My School Upbringing And I Didn't Even Know It

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mad Jax

Church Influenced My School Upbringing And I Didn't Even Know It

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 am

So it came to my attention that a film we watched in multiple health classes was produced by BYU, as were a number of others. Anyone ever see Cipher in the Snow? I remember thinking it was kind of a melodramatic way of telling a story and sort of finding it funny as a teenager (I wasn't too empathetic then) but now I think it's genuinely kind of purposeful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERJU8YKlX4s
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Kishkumen

Re: Church Influenced My School Upbringing And I Didn't Even Know It

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 am

Lots of history, discussion, ridicule, debate and analysis over Cipher in the Snow.

I think the intent was to draw attention to the fact we all need to be considerate of others and kind. But some kid died because nobody cared. It's a bizzare movie.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:16 am

"Cipher in the Snow" is a distressing movie. Even as a child I wondered what a medical autopsy would reveal about the boy. Part of my concern was that he had some undiagnosed childhood illness that killed you when you stepped off a bus. I wanted to make sure that I was not in danger of dying like that boy in the movie. I did have friends and loving parents, but I was still wondering what kind of brain aneurysm was hiding in that movie.

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:48 am

Yep. 3 films in particular were burned into my mind as a young person that I have never quite shaken in adulthood. Intriguingly (to me anyways) 2 were LDS productions.

Cipher in the Snow

The girl who gives blood to her injured brother and than asks the Dr "When do I die?" Not even sure what it's called but holy crap...6 year old me will never forget that kid.

The tv movie IT.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:25 pm

When will I die? Snopes has you covered, though it leaves out the name of the church video: https://www.snopes.com/glurge/transfuse.asp

Fortunately for us softhearted fogies, "Greater Love" is digitized here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VciZVP1Wz4Q

And don't forget this magic ball of filmstrippy glurge: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gle6OXNZI4A

I'll build you a rainbow...
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:00 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:16 am
"Cipher in the Snow" is a distressing movie. Even as a child I wondered what a medical autopsy would reveal about the boy. Part of my concern was that he had some undiagnosed childhood illness that killed you when you stepped off a bus. I wanted to make sure that I was not in danger of dying like that boy in the movie. I did have friends and loving parents, but I was still wondering what kind of brain aneurysm was hiding in that movie.
This movie terrified me, and we watched it every year.

Unfortunately though, kids do die of neglect and bullying...I wonder if the message of the movie was actually alluding to suicide. But, I'm too traumatized to want to go back and watch it to see what I think as an adult.