The Art of Prophecy and Prediction

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

The Art of Prophecy and Prediction

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Here are two past predictions about the remote chance that man would ever get to the moon.

Science fiction writer Jules Verne thought so in his 1865 book From the Earth to the Moon. Taking the opposite position, LDS seer and revelator Joseph Fielding Smith said in 1961 that, "man would never get into space" let alone the moon.

One month earlier in that same year 1961, Soviet Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin became the first man in a space orbit of the Earth. Eight years later the first man set foot on the moon. They never did find the Moon Quakers which Joseph Smith described in some detail.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Re: The Art of Prophecy and Prediction

Post by Palerider » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Well, as Hyrum Smith said regarding Joseph, "If he only gets one right out of ten, he's still a prophet."

Obviously Jules is scoring better but I doubt Hyrum would have followed him.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:31 pm
Joseph Fielding Smith said in 1961 that, "man would never get into space" let alone the moon.
They never did find the Moon Quakers which Joseph Smith described in some detail.
And here's the rest of the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... seph_Smith
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 am

moksha wrote:
LDS seer and revelator Joseph Fielding Smith said in 1961 that, "man would never get into space" let alone the moon. One month earlier in that same year 1961, Soviet Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin became the first man in a space orbit of the Earth.
This mistake might be that, due to the fervent anti-communist sentiment of the LDS Church, there was a news blackout of Mr. Gagarin's space flight in Utah. That way his prophecy may have been hamstrung by simply not knowing the event had occurred, rather than a case of being monumentally wrong. The Art of Prophecy here needed to include reading the headlines of either the Salt Lake Tribune or the New York Times.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:21 am

Jean Dixon predicted some interesting things. She might have had a better average than 10%. But I don't think Hyrum would follow her either.
http://www.alamongordo.com/predictions- ... ean-dixon/
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 am

We have been there and done that with the moon. It is Mars' turn. And now, just because he has nothing better to do with his money, Elon Musk is sending a Tesla car to Mars with a dummy strapped in it and the radio playing David Bowie on repeat. He said this morning that it is a stunt to get more people interested in the space program.

Joseph Smith was such an amateur. He could have really predicted something much more interesting than giant Quakers on the moon.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 am

Joseph Smith was such an amateur. He could have really predicted something much more interesting than giant Quakers on the moon.
Well...you have to consider his audience. It's much more easy to impress a group that hasn't been desensitized by modern technology. Especially a group that is particularly gullible. Think of it...no one even bothered to ask him how those people got there.....;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:21 am
Jean Dixon predicted some interesting things. She might have had a better average than 10%. But I don't think Hyrum would follow her either.
http://www.alamongordo.com/predictions- ... ean-dixon/
Aww...I hope no one kills Pope Francis. I like him :cry:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 pm

What about the Alice prophecy uttered by mystic Ralph?
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

JustHangingOn@57

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:29 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 am
moksha wrote:
LDS seer and revelator Joseph Fielding Smith said in 1961 that, "man would never get into space" let alone the moon. One month earlier in that same year 1961, Soviet Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin became the first man in a space orbit of the Earth.
This mistake might be that, due to the fervent anti-communist sentiment of the LDS Church, there was a news blackout of Mr. Gagarin's space flight in Utah. That way his prophecy may have been hamstrung by simply not knowing the event had occurred, rather than a case of being monumentally wrong. The Art of Prophecy here needed to include reading the headlines of either the Salt Lake Tribune or the New York Times.
I believe JFS's response, when asked about the moon landing was something to the effect "well, I was wrong"

Wait, what? That's it? Must have been speaking as a man. Gosh I wish you guys came with sub-titles.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Palerider wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 am
It's much more easy to impress a group that hasn't been desensitized by modern technology. Especially a group that is particularly gullible. Think of it...no one even bothered to ask him how those people got there.....;)
Seems obvious to me that the Moon Quakers, described by Brother Joseph, were one of the Lost Tribes of Israel. As to the how part, I suspect the answer might possibly be found on the FAIRMormon website; they are good with those types of explanations.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm
Palerider wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 am
It's much more easy to impress a group that hasn't been desensitized by modern technology. Especially a group that is particularly gullible. Think of it...no one even bothered to ask him how those people got there.....;)
Seems obvious to me that the Moon Quakers, described by Brother Joseph, were one of the Lost Tribes of Israel. As to the how part, I suspect the answer might possibly be found on the FAIRMormon website; they are good with those types of explanations.

Let's see...was it Nephi who got carried away by the spirit? Although that's a long haul.

Maybe it was just Joseph who got carried away...

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:52 pm

One topic that shows the power of non-prophecy to Mormons is that of climate change. As fervent Republicans, they are content to go with the teachings of the Petroleum Council and the assertions that:

1. The climate is not changing.
2. The burning of fossil fuels and the resulting greenhouse gas effect have nothing to do with things heating up.

These Saints can point to the lack of concern by their Prophets, Seers, and Revelators about this so-called "climate change". Since no thinking has been done, they see no need to worry. Additionally, this practice of non-prophecy helps them establish further barriers against the deviltry of science.
-- Moksha