Science and Religion LDSMag and Unicorns

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

Science and Religion LDSMag and Unicorns

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 pm

It amazes me what this publication calls science. I remember the last article I read was about how you can learn how the universe works from the Book of Abraham. Pretty crazy how blatantly uneducated it makes the writers of that poor mag look. So here's their latest spin on the news about the big ancient Mayan city:

https://ldsmag.com/how-an-incredible-ne ... of-mormon/
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Re: Science and Religion LDSMag and Unicorns

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am

This is an interesting discovery. But let's contrast this with some science news from a different field:

Kip S. Thorne earns the 2017 Nobel Prize in Physics "for decisive contributions to the LIGO detector and the observation of gravitational waves".

From Wikipedia:
Thorne was born in Logan, Utah on June 1, 1940. His father was a chemist, his mother Alison (née Comish) Thorne, was an economist and the first woman to receive a Ph.D. in the discipline from Iowa State College.[10] Raised in an academic environment, two of his four siblings also became professors.[11][12] Thorne's parents were members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) and raised Thorne in the LDS faith...
This guy would be great as a youth conference speaker!
...though he now describes himself as atheist. Regarding his views on science and religion, Thorne has stated: "There are large numbers of my finest colleagues who are quite devout and believe in God [...] There is no fundamental incompatibility between science and religion. I happen to not believe in God."
Oh wait, not so much. I guess LDS Mag should stick with random Mayan jungle cities and not (former) Mormons who went opened entirely new fields of astrophysics and scientific observation.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 am

"The details in this story explicitly corroborate dozens of verses in the Book of Mormon that describe dense populations, sophisticated economies, road networks, large-scale agriculture, intensive land use, disaster-prone landscapes, and prevalent warfare."

Sorry, Mr. Mabley, we already knew the Maya had all of these things, and they have no direct bearing on the Book of Mormon. Wake me up when they find cattle, elephants, wheat, chariots, steel, synagogues, Egyptian writing, etc, etc, that actually DO corroborate the Book of Mormon.

Or maybe we should talk about the details of 19th century frontier America that corroborate thousands of verses in the Book of Mormon.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:35 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 am
Sorry, Mr. Mabley, we already knew the Maya had all of these things, and they have no direct bearing on the Book of Mormon. Wake me up when they find cattle, elephants, wheat, chariots, steel, synagogues, Egyptian writing, etc, etc, that actually DO corroborate the Book of Mormon.
I'd also like evidence in the Book of Mormon of prolific stuff you would expect to find in it, such as potatoes and those pesky missing Maya.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.