Zeitgeist and Conspiricies

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

Zeitgeist and Conspiricies

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:14 pm

One of my kids recommended watching the Zeitgeist documentary on Netflix. I think you can watch it on YouTube as well.

I read a bit about this movie and was pretty skeptical. Jury is still out for me on some of the content, but overall I find myself agreeing with a lot of it. I hate the long obscure intro, I expected some crap about aliens in there, but it's pretty straight forward and sticks to main plausible topics. It matches the patterns I've observed when I was in the church and with what has happened over my lifetime of experience in the military, public school and the economy. But I don't want to go into a lot of details there; I'm more interested to see if any other NOMites have watched it and what they think.

I will say that in part one about Christianity, I knew of a couple other Christ archetypes in history, but I'm not well read in that area. The number of religious leaders/gods that preceded Jesus, that had the same pattern as Jesus, presented in this film, that was surprising to me and something I'm going to look into.

Bring on the age of Aquarius! To quote Ed from the movie Rubin and Ed: "It's gonna get weird now, isn't it."
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Re: Zeitgeist and Conspiricies

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTbIu8Zeqp0
Thanks for posting that Moksha. Did you have a chance to watch it? Any fine feathered thoughts?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

redjay

Post by redjay » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:59 am

Watched Zeitgiest partially - noticed some inaccuracies (can't remember what they were now, it was a while ago) so it kind of destroyed it's credibility for me pretty early on.

That said I totally believe in Aliens and the Afterlife - I think it is in my disposition to want to believe the incredible.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:56 am

redjay wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:59 am
Watched Zeitgiest partially - noticed some inaccuracies (can't remember what they were now, it was a while ago) so it kind of destroyed it's credibility for me pretty early on.

That said I totally believe in Aliens and the Afterlife - I think it is in my disposition to want to believe the incredible.
Was it in part 1?
--Douglas Adams

redjay

Post by redjay » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:27 am

Yup pretty sure in part 1, though I can't for the life of me remember what it was.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 pm

I've been able to get through the "religious" portion - the parts about the Son rising on the third day, etc. and that part syncs up with my current confirmation bias.

I've never really been able to get beyond that part without falling asleep... :?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:45 pm

I watched the first two segments. They should have done themselves a favor and released it as three separate short features. I think the parallels in the in the first part, while generally true, were somewhat simplified and exaggerated in an apologetic sort of way and I thought they were really stretching some of the astrological elements. I don't see the point of emphasizing that a guy carrying a water pitcher in the NT had anything to do with the beginning of the age of Aquarius in 2150 AD. The conspiratorial tone of the the rest of the film sadly does damage to the points it makes in the first segment, in my opinion.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."