Is coffee evil?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hermey

Re: Is coffee evil?

Post by Hermey » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:17 am

Coffee. Just one of Satan's many favorite beverages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swGBlDn_yiI

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:33 pm

McDonalds coffee is. Had an Americano this morning that tasted like it was filtered through old cigarettes.

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Funny story. In elementary school, we had french dips one day. My friends called the au jus "coffee" and drank it laughing. I, terrified, wouldn't touch it. Every adult explained to me it wasn't, and i wouldn't touch it for years--even after i started working at Arbys when i turned 16.
I had a jamocha shake, and thought it was yummy--till i was told it was a coffee/chocolate mix. 🤤 i worked there in 1 way or another up to my 30s and never touched another one.
Even now, i have a hard time with it honestly and i havent attended Church for three years, or consistently for 5. I get its a better source of caffeine then diet soda (healthier too) but it takes so much sugar to make it tolerable and ive been teying to cut calories for years....sigh. the brainwashing is strong i guess....
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Coffee is the sacred elixir of consciousness.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Yes, it's gross. DW likes it...and she is 30% evil.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:14 am

Mormons tend to think in absolutes, unless it is something they are doing that could be wrong, and then it is ok.
For example, the words:
Shiz instead of $hit
Fetch, freakin, fliplin instead of f#@k
heck instead of hell
darn instead of damn

following??

is postum or Pero instead of coffee the same comparison?
~2bizE

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:29 am

Is coffee evil? I hope not! I had my first one this week.

I have mixed feelings about it. I've been drinking black tea for a little over a year now, and in the beginning it was a little weird to be drinking something I'd been taught I shouldn't, but the coffee has left me with guilt. I went to tea first because I've always had herbal tea around the house, so it didn't seem like much of a stretch to merely change which types of leaves I was brewing. I've had pero around the house for the past few years, but somehow coffee leaves me with far more guilt. The barista didn't give me a receipt for the coffee, and I worried that a receipt was emailed to our home email, and then I drank it, with my thumb covering the little symbol on the cup that indicated it was not hot chocolate just in case I saw anyone I knew. And then my husband asked that evening, "How was your day? Anything interesting happen?" Nope, nothing to see here. It really is burned into my psyche that coffee is BAD.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:10 am

Phil Lurkerman wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:49 pm
Okay! Finally, we have a reason why coffee might be bad for Mormons.

If Mormons are coffee curious, they might want to try it in a form with known Mormon affinity: Look for Coffee-flavored Ice Cream in your local supermarket.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:30 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:10 am
If Mormons are coffee curious, they might want to try it in a form with known Mormon affinity: Look for Coffee-flavored Ice Cream in your local supermarket.
Coffee-flavored Ice Cream was actually a gateway for me, which I learned to like during my two-years of indentured servitude to LDS-Inc., of all places. :twisted:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 am

Some of Satan's licorice plants threatening a daughter of Cain during the Heaven War
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:14 am

Coffee is taboo and only evil people do things that are taboo. Therefore coffee isn't evil, but the people who drink it totally are.

That's what covfefe means. To show the world that you've got darkness in your soul through the act of imbibing coffee.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:45 pm

Sometimes, when I'm drinking my almost daily latte, I still feel a little rebellious in the best kind of way. I think it's a sign that Mormonism set the bar for rebellion so low for me that any of my neverMo friends would find it hilarious if I were to share that thought with them.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:20 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:10 am
Phil Lurkerman wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:49 pm
Okay! Finally, we have a reason why coffee might be bad for Mormons.
Oh, now that one is funny. How many times have I wanted to yell at some TBM to wake up and smell the postum? Actually, waking up might disillusion them.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:24 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 am
Some of Satan's licorice plants threatening a daughter of Cain during the Heaven War
That's not a daughter of Cain. That's a Lamanite. But I have no clue as to what her little blue friend is. Perhaps that is the child of Cain.

Josephsmith

Post by Josephsmith » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:45 pm

Ok, a little clarification is needed here.
What are rules and commandments but suggestions anyway? God can be a pretty chill guy, I broke a lot of rules and I'm not evil am I? (Dont answer that, it was rhetorical). I mean sheesh, I get songs sung to me and compared to Jesus for crying out loud, so just ease up a little on the "evil" thoughts.

If you cant get over the guilt, here is a suggestion:
The Lord did not say that Coffee was evil, he did not say not to partake, and what he did say was just a suggestion anyway.
He meant that one should not ingest the coffee. If you hold it in your mouth, swirl it around a little, enjoy the taste, that is perfectly fine. Just dont swallow.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:11 pm

Only if you're getting on a private jet.... :lol:

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/artic ... -all-time/

redjay

Post by redjay » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:22 am

Hermey wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:11 pm
Only if you're getting on a private jet.... :lol:

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/artic ... -all-time/
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
forwarded story to Mrs RJ who literally had tears streaming down her face.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

ap1054

Post by ap1054 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:56 pm

RE: Is coffee evil? I doubt it.

Just recently started drinking coffee for health reasons... My family has a terrible history of intestinal/digestive issues (the doc confirmed to my dad that he has an extra ~8' of large intestine). I'll spare you the details, but I've dealt with these issues for years now and just recently stumbled across the health benefits of coffee, specifically digestive health. And no joke, it's completely resolved all my problems! Talk about about a tender mercy...

I'm still active LDS and I would have no problem telling a leader in an interview that I drink coffee for a legitimate health reason and it's helped me leaps and bounds above any other method or medication I've tried. I just wish I had started drinking it years ago.

I wonder if there will ever be an update to the WofW. It makes absolutely no sense that a member who drinks coffee or tea cannot go to the temple but someone who consumes a Big Mac on a daily basis can (not calling anyone out here). We'll see when the recommend interview comes around, haven't given much thought how I'll answer the question.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:33 am

If you are having trouble getting into the coffee gig (I'm still struggling with wine), try this recipe:

- start with a decent breakfast or medium blend, don't go cheap. I actually prefer the roasted beans and have a little grinder (Krups $35) that's easy to use. I just throw a 1/4 cup or less in the little grinder, couple taps on the button for a few seconds then into the Mr. Coffee with about 4.5 OZ of water. I brew it on strong.
- Add one to two spoons of Stephen's White Chocolate powder mix to the cup
- Add a little whole milk or cream; but even better, get a milk frother for $35 and that really makes it nice! Only takes about 30 seconds to heat and froth up an 1/8 cup of milk and it makes the coffee nice and creamy.

The carmel Stephens is pretty good as well.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:49 pm

About a year and half ago I had the audacity to not honoring the sabbath and breaking the Word of Wisdom. I walked to Smith's and purchased some chilled coffee. I then enjoyed it at a nearby empty park. It was excellent. I think coffee might be a secret cousin of chocolate. Its that delicious. I am an Evil Cupcake on the path to Outer Darkness.