Another Book

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Another Book

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:34 am

I have a stack of books. I have too little time, too many backlogged projects,...and you know me....I see a book I want...and I GET IT!

Don't know when I will get to this one, but purchased:

"Secret Combinations: Evidence of Early Mormon Counterfeiting 1800-1847". I saw it advertised on MormonThink, and wanted to support them a little, so purchased it following their site. Don't know if they get a little money from the purchase, but I hope they do.

Anyone read this? It looks like it isn't a trivial read. I've not started it yet. We shall see......

Palerider

Re: Another Book

Post by Palerider » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Sorry, this is probably a threadjack.

And here I thought you were going to write about Mr. and Mrs. Renlund's new book:

The Melchizedek Priesthood: Understanding the Doctrine, Living the Principles.

Apparently it has a little section explaining why women really do have the priesthood even though they don't even know it.... :roll:

A couple of things come to mind.

This seems exactly like what this church needs......another book on priesthood. How many of these things are out there and they still haven't got it covered. I guess since it's "eternal" the number of books trying to explain it should be too, eh?

Secondly, why is it that every new apostle/general authority feels the great need to write a new book??? It can't have anything to do with having a built-in purchasing audience now could it? Even if one only sells a couple of million books they've made a tidy prophet, er...profit haven't they?

Do ga's sell strictly for cost of publishing with zero profit margine? Or do they donate proceeds to a good cause. Say like the LDS church...who pays their stipend.

I have to confess I found this on a Bible study website that leaves no way of contacting the owner or making a donation. You literally can't make a donation even if you wanted to. Pretty refreshing!

"John 3:16 says that God loved the world so much that He gave His Son.
It does not say that He sold His Son."
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Sorry, this is probably a threadjack.

And here I thought you were going to write about Mr. and Mrs. Renlund's new book:

The Melchizedek Priesthood: Understanding the Doctrine, Living the Principles.

Apparently it has a little section explaining why women really do have the priesthood even though they don't even know it.... :roll:

A couple of things come to mind.

This seems exactly like what this church needs......another book on priesthood. How many of these things are out there and they still haven't got it covered. I guess since it's "eternal" the number of books trying to explain it should be too, eh?

Secondly, why is it that every new apostle/general authority feels the great need to write a new book??? It can't have anything to do with having a built-in purchasing audience now could it? Even if one only sells a couple of million books they've made a tidy prophet, er...profit haven't they?

Do ga's sell strictly for cost of publishing with zero profit margine? Or do they donate proceeds to a good cause. Say like the LDS church...who pays their stipend.

I have to confess I found this on a Bible study website that leaves no way of contacting the owner or making a donation. You literally can't make a donation even if you wanted to. Pretty refreshing!

No offense taken with the threadjack. I like the general topic of books.

DeseretBook exists, from what I understand, primarily as a way for GAs to supplement their income through book sales. Of course the place has other purposes, but this is one of the main ones.

Prove me wrong if in error...

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Palerider wrote:
16. For God so loved the world, that he sold his only begotten Son, that whosoever purchaseth him should not be castrated, but have eternal lives.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Rob,

I almost bought that one too. Please return and report.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:24 pm

I go through phases where I obsessively read books about church history and sit with an incredulous look on my face for hours on end, but then I have times where I feel like I have spent way too much time and money learning all this crazy stuff. Then I realise I'm stuck here and go back down the rabbit hole.

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:25 pm

And I meant to say that book sounds really interesting. Would love to hear a summary when you are done.

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Rob, I wrote a blog post over at Wheat and Tares about an old anti-Mormon book my father gave me. In that book it has a quote from BY justifying the counterfeiting. I asked if anybody had ever heard that quote. I bet that it is in your new book. Please return and report!

FreeFallin

Post by FreeFallin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:24 pm
Palerider wrote:
16. For God so loved the world, that he sold his only begotten Son, that whosoever purchaseth him should not be castrated, but have eternal wives.
(sorry, couldn't help it)