Big changes coming in April GC!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

Big changes coming in April GC!

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:42 am

We keep hearing this in our stake. A recent visit by a GA said President Nelson isn't afraid to make changes and to be prepared.

Two changes NOT to consider:

1. Church getting rid of scouts completely.
2. One hour block.

I guess that only means new hymn books might be coming. Stay tuned!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Re: Big changes coming in April GC!

Post by 2bizE » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:13 pm

The biggest news would be a non- white, non-Utah, non-church broke apostle.
~2bizE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:19 pm

It would really be interesting to see leadership go on an excommunication binge. I'm probably wrong about this but Mr. Nelson strikes me as a bit of an arrogant fellow who is thinking (from his point of view) that he's tired of all the crap about "nuanced" belief and he's going to step back 50 years to the good old Benson, Lee and McConkie years when men were men and sheep ran scared.

And Bednar will smile.... ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:28 pm

I'll be at the Saturday AM session in person. I'll let you know what the feeling in the room is like when the 'big announcement' comes down.

Stig

Post by Stig » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:31 pm

"Big Changes" = Retrenchment.

If there any changes coming it will be to a more conservative tone than has been in play recently. That's my prediction, any way.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 pm

I'll believe it after it happens. Mormons would love to have something significant happen. They won't admit it openly, but they'd love to see some actual examples of revelation and leadership from their prophets, seers, and revelators. They'd love to see improvements in certain areas that bother them. Mostly, they'd just love to have something noteworthy happen. To relieve the boredom.

But, the reality is that it's been a long time since anything interesting happened at GC. As a believer I used to crave it. As a long-time NOM, I hoped for something interesting. Now, for many years as a post-Mormon I've seen people yearn for it, believer or hanger-on alike. Significant changes or announcements come out off-cycle via the PR office. They might make an announcement as big as who the next apostles will be, but that's about as far as it's likely to go.

Nevertheless, everyone keeps hoping for something.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 pm
This.

TBMs are begging for something to make them feel special again, beside "more temples". I think with all the bleeding they may feel under attack, perceived as a wheat and tares situation. But as I just mentioned in another recent post, the COB has been backing off the last days narrative, watering down miracles and priesthood power, etc. So what will the COB tactic be to make TBMs feel super special again? A bunch of Excoms might do the trick but it would probably be short lived. Seems to me there's just not much to come up with as far as exciting good news or announcements they could make. TBMs are probably desperate enough they'll take anything, even if it's mundane.

If there's any announcement it's likely just something to show RMN is the man in charge, kicking off his great day of power, but with something mundane disguised as something great/miraculous. Wait for the spin/twist, it will be in there, and I'm sure RFM will also be there with the analysis and smack down.
Last edited by RubinHighlander on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:52 pm

The last "Big Change" that actually happened: Missionary age change. Were there any "rumors" of "Big Changes" when that happened? (And I don't know if I would even call that a "Big Change".)

Honestly, the last real "Big Change" was in 1978, and that didn't even happen at GC! (Or did it? I actually don't care obviously, or I'd ask Google... EDIT: I got over it and asked. NOPE! it didn't happen in GC...)
Last edited by wtfluff on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm with the poster above who said let there be CHANGE...if only to relieve the boredom!

My rumor that I heard was about changes to the HT/VT program. But, ANYTHING would be at least mildly interesting.

You think they will put Uchdorf as the first speaker? I wouldn't put it past them, as a way to tar-baby whip him and others into place....

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:38 pm

They gotta call soon new apostles. that ain't small.

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:53 pm

dogbite wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:38 pm
They gotta call soon new apostles. that ain't small.
Let me guess: They'll be older white men with a long history in the church. I don't think that will really have much impact, except to their families.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Yes. But the mornmons will feel it is huge

Brent

Post by Brent » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:51 pm

The big announcement is the return to paper sacrament cup. Earth friendly. Eco-friendly.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:53 pm
Let me guess: They'll be older white men with a long history in the church. I don't think that will really have much impact, except to their families.
Correction: They'll be RICH, old white men with... (Continue Jeffret's sentence.)

And then they'll get even more RICH taking tithing from poor new converts in third-world countries who've been indoctrinated to think it's more important to pay rich, old white men's salaries, than feed themselves...

(Cynical you say? Who, ME? Nope! Not me! Not at all!!!)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:12 am

Ah, the biannual “something big is going to be announced in Conference” rumor. Learned to ignore it a long time ago. I guess lowering the mission age was a big deal, but it’s turned out to be a nothingburger way more than it has ever turned out to be any kind of substantial announcement. There was that one time back in the late 90s it was the the announcement of the City Creek Mall - and that was hardly any kind of revelation.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 am

Maybe they are eliminating youth interviews.
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 am

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”

― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am

My predictions for possible big changes:

2 hour Sunday meeting block
Some type of church run scouting program for girls as well as boys
2 new apostles, 1 will be non-white and delightsome
Missions changing to more community service/outreach instead of so much proselytizing (further moves to change the church image)
Increase in humanitarian efforts/programs.

Overall, I think the biggest change will be trying to form an image for the church in the future instead of trying to cover for shortcomings of the past. They will focus on "that is behind us, this is where we are going" and further dismiss complaints of church history. Apostates will be accused of living in the past and can't see the divinely guided future.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:19 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:51 pm
Jeffret wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 pm
If there's any announcement it's likely just something to show RMN is the man in charge, kicking off his great day of power, but with something mundane disguised as something great/miraculous. Wait for the spin/twist, it will be in there, and I'm sure RFM will also be there with the analysis and smack down.
This is my suspicion as well. Each president of the church has a theme, and since the news conference a few months ago was last minute by necessity, public relations will have a nice glossy roll out for the new theme. It will be something like "Sabbath Day and Sabbath Lives" or something like that. We'll get a new slogan along with some shareable memes for Facebook and a special Ensign cover. We'll find out what RMN wants to be remembered for.

As far was "hoping for something", I don't think most are hoping for something new, they want something old. They want a return to Joseph Smith like revelating and adding to the D&C. If RMN were to come out with some sort of progressive agenda that modernizes Mormonism, people would walk out of the conference center. They want him to announce a return to Missouri and that Jesus is showing up on Tuesday.

That's what frustrates people. The brethren act like they're giving people what they want, which is revelation, but the revelation is all feeling based and centered around rearranging the bureaucracy. No one gets a sense of purpose from adding another quorum of seventy. "Oh boy, more GA's. The chances of me getting called just went up a small amount." No one says "these is surely the latter-days" from stake realignments, temple announcements, and missionary policies. No one writes in their journal about the time the correlation department reworked the curriculum for the third hour of church.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 am

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am
...Apostates will be accused of living in the past and can't see the divinely guided future.
Yep, I bet there will be something along these lines in at least a few talks. "Look to the Future..." they will say.

Cuz we all know that the past doesn't matter. After all, they were doing the best they could with the light they had....right?

Oh wait...WHERE AM I?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: