Big changes coming in April GC!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Big changes coming in April GC!

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:55 am

StarbucksMom wrote:So, they are pairing men w/ their wives to make sure the men actually go. My TBM husband never does his HT. I always tried to do my VT. I opted out of VT, including being visit taught, at least 5 years ago. It has been wonderful. So I'm not going to go "ministering", nor will I encourage my husband to go.
Same old stuff I guess.
If the husband wife team thing is true, I have to say that might actually be a genius idea to shame men who have zealous obedient wives into active participation.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:05 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:55 am
StarbucksMom wrote:So, they are pairing men w/ their wives to make sure the men actually go. My TBM husband never does his HT. I always tried to do my VT. I opted out of VT, including being visit taught, at least 5 years ago. It has been wonderful. So I'm not going to go "ministering", nor will I encourage my husband to go.
Same old stuff I guess.
If the husband wife team thing is true, I have to say that might actually be a genius idea to shame men who have zealous obedient wives into active participation.
I'm wondering if they will be calling couples like they used to do with Ward Missionaries. Instead of doing x hours per week proselyting non-members, they'll focus on home visits and reactivation.

This would make sense considering the massive ward consolidation efforts that have been happening. Bigger wards mean more people for new callings. If so, then this seems very Jehovah's Witness to me. Instead of spreading Home and Visiting teaching out across the ward where only a handful of people go every month, they can concentrate the entire program into the hands of a select number of zealots whose job will be to regularly harass the entire ward.

Yay.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Brent

Post by Brent » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:54 am

Pro: The word "Minister" would be used to help lift the heavy weight of "Home Teaching" which most see as "Home Monitoring". The question is if real freedom is involved to minister as your families need, phone calls, FaceTime, "Drive by"s...

Cons: Changing names doesn't change culture. Also, what do you do with single members? Do they minister as individuals? As a "companionship"?

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Wait, I just thought of something... the rumor apparently includes that this will be something that has not happened since 1830... Maybe we need to think bigger. What happened then was that the church was incorporated. So what if that is the change? I can think of a good reason for the church to re-incorporate itself, so there would be two fiduciaries, a non-profit church and the Corp.of the President, with either possibly having a new legal name. And maybe one being a foundation. And if they did that, which one would keep all the money...? I can see the church trying to protect assets against possible major lawsuits or other liabilities in the future, and therefore changing how it is incorporated, or something like that. So add that one to the list of possibilities...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:25 pm

EternityIsNow wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:52 pm
Wait, I just thought of something... the rumor apparently includes that this will be something that has not happened since 1830... Maybe we need to think bigger.
Something that hasn’t happened since 1830? Maybe Church leadership being completely honest with the members they lead? But somehow I doubt that’s gonna be the “big change”.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:42 am

Big changes just mean restructuring things like a business. Nothing doctrine related, that will stay the same. It will be about efficiency and making Church less daunting, while also getting rid of the fun parts of church (pot lucks, parties and bigger youth events). The fun things are not efficient, expensive, and don't always translate to other cultures.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

redjay

Post by redjay » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:42 am

Misdirection, to take the focus from flat growth?
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:48 am

I'm glad I got out when I did. I don't think all these changes they're making would have sat well with me as a TBM. I might have been tempted to seek out Strang's following or some alternative.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:49 am

oliver_denom wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am
The 1950's are coming back y'all. Embrace the change!
At the stroke of midnight on December 31st at BYU each year, the clocks always adjust to Jan 1, 1959.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hogbreath

Post by Hogbreath » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:58 am

Big changes just mean restructuring things like a business.
Only the LDS church can present a name change and call it revelation. Now standing up in GC and stating that Sunday hymns will no longer be played & sung as if at a funeral - now that would be inspiration!

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 pm

Considering who has come to power I would not think it is Linley any changes would be NOM friendly
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm actually a little hopeful about this change, weirdly enough. I've always thought that the "teaching" part of HT and VT was the least important part, despite the word being in both names. Discontinuing the FP message means they're serious about changing the nature of the programs, and also removes the ability of HTers to just fall back on old patterns. The changes together might actually be effective.

Whether the new program ends up being better is anyone's guess at this point.
Hogbreath wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:58 am
Big changes just mean restructuring things like a business.
Only the LDS church can present a name change and call it revelation. Now standing up in GC and stating that Sunday hymns will no longer be played & sung as if at a funeral - now that would be inspiration!
Watchtower Society does this, too, but they call it "new light." It amounts to the same thing, and is generally just as meaningless.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.