According to the SLTrib, the First Pres says mormons don't have to be republican.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Spicy McHaggis

According to the SLTrib, the First Pres says mormons don't have to be republican.

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Nothing about it on KSL or the Desperate News. I wonder why the church owned media doesn't have anything about it. Perhaps they don't want to ruffle the feathers of the member who believe it's impossible to be Mo and vote democratic.

Corsair

Re: According to the SLTrib, the First Pres says mormons don't have to be republican.

Post by Corsair » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 am

President Newsroom has determined that those faithful Democrats who need to hear this message will be inspired to find it. This is the same policy on the Gospel Topic Essays.

moksha

Re: According to the SLTrib, the First Pres says mormons don't have to be republican.

Post by moksha » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:18 pm

If it doesn't appear on KSL or in the Deseret News, is it really doctrine? Maybe it is just a cover story to fool those gentiles for an unspecified reason and that is the reason the Church media chose not to cover it.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:57 pm

In sacrament meeting they read a letter from the 1P that had a different tone than in the past. It actually said that good values can be found in ALL political parties and, unlike the last one I heard, it didn't direct you to LDS.org for a refresher on the church's values.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:24 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:57 pm
It actually said that good values can be found in ALL political parties and, unlike the last one I heard, it didn't direct you to LDS.org for a refresher on the church's values.
Sounds like a positive step. I've wondered if Church leaders at some future point would be concerned with some of the political stances Church members seem to embrace. Politics based on greed or white nationalism would have to be troublesome at least if viewed through the lens of Christianity. Many of the Brethren still remember the WWII era and what America fought against.

In the present, perhaps they are alarmed that Donald Trump is more popular in Utah than any other state. Also, I doubt they have missed all the corruption that goes along with being a one-party state.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha