Plunder

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Plunder

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:56 pm

The words plunder and plundering appear 19 times in the Book of Mormon and 0 times in the Bible. Possibly something to do with Joseph's fascination for pirates and buried treasure?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Re: Plunder

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Interesting find. Just out of further interest I looked up where the word derived from:

Plunder is an old Middle High German word that originally meant "household goods and clothes": in other words, your stuff. During the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648), English speakers acquired this word while fighting in the land that is today Germany, but with the added meaning of taking the plunder as, well, plunder. As both a noun and verb, a synonym for plunder is loot.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Well, at least he didn’t use the term "booty". Imagine the teachers and priests snickering in class over that one. 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

The Book of Mormon is such a strange mix of relatively coherent and even at times moving religious passages mixed with something like the battle fantasies of a teenage kid who has played too much Call of Duty. I sometimes wonder if Oliver wrote the sermons in the Book of Mormon (which, oddly, were transcribed verbatim in a time before recording devices or even pens and pencils and paper - did Almulek have to tell Zeezrom “whoa, slow down buddy, it’s not easy writing down all your arguments against the gospel of Christ using quill feathers and ink on animal skin parchment”) and Joseph wrote the goofy comic book battle scenes where the leaders of two opposing armies somehow always end up fighting each other man to man. Whoever wrote about the battles had a weird fascination with battle along with a complete ignorance of what it is like in reality - not to mention a complete lack of understanding of the weaponry available in the pre-Columbus Americas.

I’m so embarrassed I ever thought the Book of Mormon was the real deal, plunder or no. I hang my head in shame.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:36 am

Palerider wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm
Well, at least he didn’t use the term "booty". Imagine the teachers and priests snickering in class over that one. 8-)
:lol: Yes! Succor is bad enough!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm
I’m so embarrassed I ever thought the Book of Mormon was the real deal, plunder or no. I hang my head in shame.
Amen to that! One of my most embarrassing moments as a TBM (not at that time, but now I know the truth), was me bearing testimony the BOM was true because it wasn't about DNA evidence or any other evidence that makes the book true, but how it makes you feel, blah, blah, blah...Then just a few months later discovering the COB changed the wording that the native Americans were "among" and not primarily from...To me that was the COB admitting guilt and all my mental gymnastics just starting falling apart.

Was Joseph enamored with war and glorious military leaders? Maybe just a little :?
--Douglas Adams

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:56 am

How many times does it show up in The Late War?

Rubin, my dad has that picture framed in his home office. I have no idea why.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:09 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:56 am
How many times does it show up in The Late War?

Rubin, my dad has that picture framed in his home office. I have no idea why.
As far as physiques go, he looks like a bumbling creampuff. I've read several verbal descriptions of him stating that he had developed a pot belly by this point in his life. Kind of looks like those tails might be hiding a big patooty as well.

Too much philandering??? :oops:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:21 am

Palerider wrote:
Mosiah 13:24 is Abinadi teaching the ten commandments to wicked King Noah. This verse is the injunction against coveting your neighbors, uh, "donkey".

I taught a Primary class where we went over this and the bishop's son was reading this and could not proceed beyond the verboten word. I told him it was OK to read "ass" out loud and he got a big grin on his face as he got to use a swear in Primary.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Palerider wrote:
Well, at least he didn’t use the term "booty".
D&C 89:22 - "Shiver me timbers, matey. That be some fine booty. Methinks I will make her one o' me celestial wenches. Arrgh!"

Captain Moroni signals it is time for his booty call
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

TestimonyLost

Post by TestimonyLost » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:54 am

Palerider wrote:
Teachers and priests? I'm in my 30s and giggle every time I think about the fact that Joseph's had not one but two extramarital affairs (just can't call them marriages!) with a woman named Fanny. :lol:

But then I remember how much pain his cheating caused and it's less funny...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:25 pm
This picture looks like the artist used the Provo 5th Ward youth road show as models. The only thing this Priests quorum is allowed to plunder is the sacrament bread tray after the closing prayer.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Corsair wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 am
moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:25 pm
This picture looks like the artist used the Provo 5th Ward youth road show as models. The only thing this Priests quorum is allowed to plunder is the sacrament bread tray after the closing prayer.
It's just an "artist's rendition"...... no need to take it seriously. In reality the kid was just trying to dry out his beach towel. ;)

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
...transcribed verbatim in a time before recording devices or even pens and pencils and paper.
How about Mosiah 5, where a large crowd all speak a long, complex paragraph in unison Read this and try to imagine a crowd saying it. Right out of The Life of Brian:
2 And they all cried with one voice, saying: Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.

3 And we, ourselves, also, through the infinite goodness of God, and the manifestations of his Spirit, have great views of that which is to come; and were it expedient, we could prophesy of all things.

4 And it is the faith which we have had on the things which our king has spoken unto us that has brought us to this great knowledge, whereby we do rejoice with such exceedingly great joy.

5 And we are willing to enter into a covenant with our God to do his will, and to be obedient to his commandments in all things that he shall command us, all the remainder of our days, that we may not bring upon ourselves a never-ending torment, as has been spoken by the angel, that we may not drink out of the cup of the wrath of God.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:50 pm
Not Buying It wrote:
...transcribed verbatim in a time before recording devices or even pens and pencils and paper.
How about Mosiah 5, where a large crowd all speak a long, complex paragraph in unison Read this and try to imagine a crowd saying it. Right out of The Life of Brian:
2 And they all cried with one voice, saying: Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.

3 And we, ourselves, also, through the infinite goodness of God, and the manifestations of his Spirit, have great views of that which is to come; and were it expedient, we could prophesy of all things.

4 And it is the faith which we have had on the things which our king has spoken unto us that has brought us to this great knowledge, whereby we do rejoice with such exceedingly great joy.

5 And we are willing to enter into a covenant with our God to do his will, and to be obedient to his commandments in all things that he shall command us, all the remainder of our days, that we may not bring upon ourselves a never-ending torment, as has been spoken by the angel, that we may not drink out of the cup of the wrath of God.
Oh hells yes! I never thought about that stupid King BJ crap with everyone chanting the same ting and how it parallels the life of Brian scene!
"You're all different!"
"We're all different!"
"You're all unique!"
"We're all unique! (I'm not)"

Such a great piece of Python work!
--Douglas Adams