Dreams Involving Mormonism/Religion

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Ghost

Dreams Involving Mormonism/Religion

Post by Ghost » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:40 pm

• I had a dream earlier this week that I was visiting some friends for dinner when two representatives from a church came to the door. I happened to answer, and I was about to tell them that we were busy when I sensed that their tradition might be an interesting one to learn about. So I invited them in and sat down to talk with them, even though it was not my house.
    It turned out that they had some kind of vague connection to Mormonism, and I asked them a lot of questions to learn about their history and doctrine. They used the Book of Mormon, but were Trinitarians and seemed to be only superficially familiar with any of the well-known Mormon groups. They also stayed for dinner.
  • When I was a missionary, I used to have dreams that were clearly inspired by temple experiences, but that involved buildings with bizarre architecture and included rituals and other elements that were quite different from the real thing.
  • Also as a missionary, I once had a dream that included a vague but powerful "spiritual experience." I felt a divine presence while seeing a light. I didn't know what to think of the dream, because it was quite intense but didn't strike me as any kind of real revelation. I think I would have been open to the possibility of such a revelation at the time, but this seemed to be simply an representation of what it might be like rather than anything legiotimate.
  • Several times since my mission, I have had the common dream of being a missionary for a second time despite being married and having a job, and wondering why I had agreed to go out again when I couldn't possibly balance that with normal life.
  • A few months ago, I dreamed that I was part of a group of friends and family attending a temple session. I was trying to find an excuse not to go rather than admit that I didn't have a recommend, which might lead to other uncomfortable questions. I ended up going through the session, somehow following the group in undetected. During and after the session, I remained nervous that I was going to be found out and also a little annoyed that I was there when I didn't really feel like it.

wtfluff

Re: Dreams Involving Mormonism/Religion

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Ahem... Any "dream" that involves mormonism or religion is actual called a Nightmare.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:37 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:55 pm
Ahem... Any "dream" that involves mormonism or religion is actual called a Nightmare.
+1 Unless it a dream where all the religions quickly fade away into history and everyone get's real!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:54 pm

On another forum, one of the posters was relating dreams he has where he was back on this mission and feeling distressed that he was there once again.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

redjay

Post by redjay » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:53 am

Have had a couple since being mentally out. Although, day to day I feel fine, the dreams (about the loss of faith) were traumatic enough to know that somewhere in my Psyche have been damaged.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:13 pm

I don't usually dream about church but I had this one recently:

Someone (can't remember who) turned to me and said, "MerrieMiss, you seem so sad all of the time." And I said, "I am sad." I knew why I was sad - church makes me sad, but I knew I couldn't tell them that, even in my dream.

Boring dream, I know.