"Do not record or transcribe..."

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

"Do not record or transcribe..."

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:08 pm

We had a stake presidency change today, so two members of the 1stQ70 spoke in stake conference. Before they spoke the SP read a statement that forbade anyone recording or even transcribing anything that was said. Transcribing? Really? Is this a new churchwide policy? It's pretty paranoid and/or controlling of the church to try to keep people from even writing down what their COB-appointed emissaries are teaching in the stakes.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

No Tof

Re: "Do not record or transcribe..."

Post by No Tof » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:14 pm

This really does seem over the top.

I remember thinking it was the keeners who took notes so they could remember and put it into their daily routines, but sigh I have been wrong about so many things.

So if no one remembers what was said or done, it will be easier to change things without anyone being able to see the change. Clever.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:28 pm

The tough part of being God's messenger is that someone may write it down...and hold you to it.

Plus if you record it you'll have to listen to that damed male keep sweet voice...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Isn't this what communists, nazis and other dictatorships do? Control the communication and propaganda?

Just sayin'.....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Same thing happened over here a few weeks ago. New leaders heralded in by two mid level GA's. Same statement was read about recording and transcribing.

If only Nephi, Mormon, and Moroni would have been given the same guidance none of us would be here today!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:21 pm

Thank goodness!!! I was going to keep notes for my journals...seems we're not a record keeping people anymore!!!

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:32 pm

This is such BS. The visiting GAs are oh so important and we should give heed to their words because they speak for God - but don’t make a record of them. Why? They don’t say why, do they? But it’s because they keep getting bit in the butt when GAs say something stupid.

How incredibly asinine. They can’t have it both ways - either the GAs speak for God and we should document what they say, or they don’t and we should feel justified in ignoring them. Don’t tell me they speak for God then tell me not to document what they say.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Does anyone know if there's any grounds for such a request? What can they do about it if you do? Church discipline probably, but anything else?

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:32 pm
This is such BS. The visiting GAs are oh so important and we should give heed to their words because they speak for God - but don’t make a record of them. Why? They don’t say why, do they? But it’s because they keep getting bit in the butt when GAs say something stupid.

How incredibly asinine. They can’t have it both ways - either the GAs speak for God and we should document what they say, or they don’t and we should feel justified in ignoring them. Don’t tell me they speak for God then tell me not to document what they say.
Actually this is an old tradition in Mormonism so whether it is bound in policy or doctrine makes no difference. It has precedence and should thus be respected.

Part of Joseph's letter to Miss Sarah Ann Whitney:

"...when I see you I will tell you all my plans, I cannot write them on paper, burn this letter as soon as you read it; keep all locked up in your breasts, my life depends upon it."

Some intimacies are just not intended for general consumption. :oops: :D
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Remember when Jesus told everyone NOT to write down anything he said? I'm sure if recording equipment existed in his day, he would have told them not to record him either.

(Yeah, I know that if Jesus actually existed, that none of his contemporaries, or his apostles actually wrote down anything he said... On second thought, if he did exist, maybe Jesus did tell everyone NOT to write down anything he said, and they listened to him, and that's why all of the "gospels" show up long after he (allegedly) died. :mrgreen: )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:04 pm

Like anyone who wants to publish something negative is not going to record it anyway. In today world whatever you do and say cenobite you. How about they just don't say stupid things.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:49 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:04 pm
Like anyone who wants to publish something negative is not going to record it anyway. In today world whatever you do and say cenobite you. How about they just don't say stupid things.
Cenobite?

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:47 pm

It would make sense for Church officials to confiscate any recording or writing implements (such as pens pencils, paper, books) at the door. Best to search for such implements hidden in plastic bags of cheerios as well.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Sounds like Mosiah 2:8 should be re-translated thus:
And it came to pass that he began to speak to his people from the tower; and they could not all hear his words because of the greatness of the multitude; therefore he caused that the words which he spake should forbidden to be written down, but that each family should relay them tent to tent so that they may all hear what they think his words should be but that no one could hold King Benjamin to them.
The current version defiantly is not translated correctly.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:49 pm
Cenobite?
First cousin of the Golden Trilobite which appeared to Joseph Smith in 1829.

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:50 pm
And it came to pass that he began to speak to his people from the tower; and they could not all hear his words because of the greatness of the multitude; therefore he caused that the words which he spake should forbidden to be written down, but that each family should relay them tent to tent so that they may all hear what they think his words should be but that no one could hold King Benjamin to them.
The current version defiantly is not translated correctly.
I love this.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Doesn't this fit the definition of a secret combination? I feel like I can refuse to go to meetings now on those grounds, yes? :lol:

græy

Post by græy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:50 pm
Perfect! I'm totally stealing this for some distant day when I can publicly say something like this to people who will get it.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:39 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 pm
Remember when Jesus told everyone NOT to write down anything he said? I'm sure if recording equipment existed in his day, he would have told them not to record him either.

(Yeah, I know that if Jesus actually existed, that none of his contemporaries, or his apostles actually wrote down anything he said... On second thought, if he did exist, maybe Jesus did tell everyone NOT to write down anything he said, and they listened to him, and that's why all of the "gospels" show up long after he (allegedly) died. :mrgreen: )
I have forgotten when Jesus told everyone NOT to write down what he said. My irony meter isn't working, and my sarcasm monitor has a dead battery. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Sounds like the church is expecting a two party recording law to be passed at some point in Utah. By not giving their consent for GA visits to be recorded, they have set the stage for inadmissibility of recordings in any legal action. But why would they need to do that? What are they planning to say?

The church is growing even more paranoid. Or maybe they DO have something to hide?