Vote: Aftermath of Joseph Bishop Scandal

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.

Select up to 7 - What will happen?

Church Stays Silent Indefinitely
14%
Joseph Bishop is Ex'd
8%
Nothing happens to Joseph Bishop
17%
More of his victims come out
16%
President Newsroom holds a press conference, effectively says nothing
13%
A statement is distributed throughout the church to be read at all Wards/Branches
3%
Public churchwide policy change regarding ecclesiastical interviews
2%
Scandal is referenced directly or indirectly in Gen Con
7%
Scandal is picked up by national outlets and church finally issues a statement
14%
Handbook 1 & 2 are updated without public announcement
8%

Total votes: 102

Kishkumen

Vote: Aftermath of Joseph Bishop Scandal

Post by Kishkumen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am

Other options regarding fallout/aftermath?

Let's see who is prophetic among us.

oliblish

Re: Vote: Aftermath of Joseph Bishop Scandal

Post by oliblish » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm

I think more victims will come forward. Once a predator is exposed, the victims feel empowered and tend to come out of the woodwork. Just from listening to the recording it is clear that there are many more victims.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:53 pm

I added a thread about the official church statement. Seems like they had a few weeks to develop a statement and investigate.
I wonder who leaked the audio?? Victim or her attorney. It was a smart move, or the church would have just pushed it under the rug.
~2bizE

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 pm

* TBM Members sit on their arse and don't give a flying rat's crap.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:24 pm

oliblish wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm
I think more victims will come forward. Once a predator is exposed, the victims feel empowered and tend to come out of the woodwork. Just from listening to the recording it is clear that there are many more victims.
Someone in a group I'm in knows someone who can corroborate the story...

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Poster Bluegrass on another website made this interesting observation:
Unfortunately just like at BYU with the title ix and shaming associated with honor code violations where BYU and the church fought hard against the SLTrib investigation and reporting, I see the same here with sex abuse among Mormon leadership, interviews and sexual counseling by amateur/unlicensed lay leadership. Finally BYU after story after story making national news from the SLTrib the leadership finally backed down and finally formed a committee and implemented all of the recommendations made. My friend a full-time psychologist and counselor at BYU was in tears when they finally made the changes he had been pushing for years. The institution rebelled against it kicking and screaming and denying - but finally, they did it. Same here for leadership and sexual abuse it will take national story after national story, heavy litigation and inside heroes who do the right thing to finally make the changes necessary.
Other than that, I imagine there are many other #MeToo stories to be heard.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:18 am

I will be both impressed and surprised if this gets referenced directly in general conference. That might be a transformative moment if Russell Nelson addressed this directly. But he won't and I have no faith that any apostle will, either.

What I actually expect is that some member of the Seventy will denouce abuse "in all it's manifestations" and cry repentance to abusers everywhere. This will be interpreted as a proper mea culpa by many faithful members of the church and will absolutely infuriate disaffected and former members. My dear wife will agree with the sentiment, but have no context on the underlying scandal because it will continue to be as unknown as the Plural Marriage in Kirtland and Nauvoo essay. Personally, I will roll my eyes and go back to playing video games.